I thought this would be something that just magically happened

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Apr 8, 2008.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

So, I was reading a book (New Parent Power or something like that) and he says that I am insulting their intelligence by not having trained them to use the potty. That they are not magically going to decide that this is right for them. Like deciding they want to eat all their vegetables. Not happening. (Yes, it will with some kids).

SO...I started my potty chair training. I didn't want to use potty chairs. I dreaded emptying the little buckets and cleaning etc. (Still not sure how I am going to clean them in between - keep trying new stuff) BUT, I bit the bullet today and bought Dora and Diego Potty Chairs and put them out where they can access them all the time.

While we weren't in quiet time, they had no pants on etc., in order to force them to want to put it there. I put them in a pull up for quiet time and they both have taken them off and tinkled since the movie started, so it's working SO FAR!!

They are pretty excited. I have a sticker chart (the chairs came with stickers) and I put stars where they will reap a reward. It gets further out as we go along. So, the first time they POOP on the potty, they will be instantly rewarded. Then they have to do it twice, then three times etc.....

They get a sticker for trying and a small treat after 5 unsuccessful tries and after 3 tinkles (Martin did this w/in 2 hrs.) a piece of easter chocolate. They might get 2 jellybeans for tries and something chocolatey for 3 tinkles.

Anyway, this is what's going on with us! :)

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

That is awesome that they are taking to it so quickly. Keep up the good work.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Ok, doesn't matter if anyone else reads this....it's sorta a chronicle of what's happening around here.

The toys are TORTURING Martin. He earned ONE mini car and is SO unhappy because he can't have both that are in the package!! He tinkled 6 times today to get that far!!!

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I wonder when they hold their bladders a bit longer. They seem to go an awful lot!!!

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Di the first week or so it seemed like Sofia was ALWAYS needing to go. Now she goes first thing in the morning, sometime mid morning, before nap, after nap, afternoon and bedtime. Sometimes she seems to hold it really long and will skip the mid-morning or after nap. I do make sure we go before we need to leave the house because I hate to have to rush to public bathrooms.

Since you know we are doing this together...Ryan is in his underwear this morning and has still not gone potty. I keep asking........ I'll let you know how the day goes.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thanks Trish!! I feel better knowing I'm not in this alone!!!

Except my day started in TEARS! I WRONGFULLY assumed they would want to tinkle right when they woke up (like I do). BUT NO! Martin was p.o.'d that his chair was upstairs and not downstairs. So they've been up for 40 min. Martin went in his diaper :( and Ali still is holding it. She was dry!!!

6. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

I'm right with you. We started a couple of days ago. The first day, Natalie did great. One accident all day. Yesterday, she had as many accidents as she did getting it in the potty. Today, Not in the potty yet, but no accidents either. I feel like I spend all day asking if they need to go. Annika isn't taking to it at all. She'll sit on the potty occasionally but wont go.
    We're doing candy as a treat for the first of each.

7. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Hmmm... it doesn't magically happen? I'm really disappointed to hear that! I was planning on taking a real low-pressure approach and just letting the "magic" flow. I guess I should read that book.

I'm glad to hear you having such great success so far Diane!

And yes, your parents are cute :)

Michelle

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So how did it go today?

I have one trained (and it happend almost on its own) and one who has peed and pooped in the potty but only when she wants to. Tonight she was in underwear and had an accident :( and the kicker is she didn't care. The same kid who will take off a wet pull up.

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Well, today started ROUGH. I wanted to throw in the Toilet paper! BUT I didn't think that would help anyone, so we worked hard to turn the really bad start around!

We watched Elmo Potty a couple of times and they were all pumped up. They wore either training pants (NOT pull ups) or nothing - waist down- all day and we had one accident each.

So, overall the day was a huge success. They both pooped and tinkled a LOT!

Tomorrow they will be going to Becky444's for a big chunk of the day and the are expected to use the potty. They say they don't want to use HER potty. but I have these covers from theirs I'll see about bringing to her house to see if that works.

Friday, I'll get back to the intense training. They both had accidents when totally were sidetracked with their rewards.

I would rethink the small rewards as you go. (Unless it's like a M&M or two)

10. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Go Di! It sounds very good from here!

11. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Apr 8 2008, 07:55 PM) [snapback]712594[/snapback]
    I wonder when they hold their bladders a bit longer. They seem to go an awful lot!!!

I think they start out doing that because they are practicing the control thing. They want to "be the boss", and they like the rewards!

I started mine with little rewards (an m&m, or a jelly bean) and we are now at rewards not neccessary! I also started them without any bottoms, moved to underwear, now we are at underwear and pants! One has accidents occassionally when distracted by friends being over. But, it doesn't just magically happen. It's a lot of work for the mom no matter what age you do it!

Way to go! Sounds like they are doing great.

12. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thanks gang! Martin had 2 accidents today. He does SUPER with no pants on!! Otherwise he gets a little distracted and will go in his training pants.

I am really sick and this is taking everything I have to not give up for a few days till I feel better, but I know I will be happy when all is said and done!!

So far neither has pooped today! :(