I took the plunge

Discussion in 'General' started by jenn-, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

After another frustrating day with math, I took the plunge for a curriculum change. It was painful to eat the cost up front as I also bought the primer level for the big boys who are always looking to do school but don't consider handwriting to be fun school. Hopefully I can convince them to learn how to write their numbers before it shows up. I am to the point with DD that when the new stuff shows up I am not even going to make her finish up what we have already before switching. I might make her go back to it when she is done the Beta book though, as by then we should only have 2 more books to call it done (which should give me just enough time to get the next level from Math-U-See ordered). I really hope this helps.

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Have they come yet? I think some of it may have been back ordered. I ordered the next level for Sage, before she was done with it, like by 6+ weeks. It didn't come and didn't come, and she got to the end of her book. She had 2 chapters left and asked me if she could do them both one day, and then not have to do any math for awhile until the new book came. Man was she frustrated when the new book came the next day!!! I really laughed, but then I gave her a reprieve for a day.

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

It came today. We will start it on Monday. This week she is going to be doing a whole bunch of timed test. I figured after a week of doing 300 problems a day for timed test (really basic addition/subtraction/multiplication of 2's, 5's, & 10's), she should be begging to do something different by next week.

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

So, it's been a week, how'd it go? I know a week's not that long, just wondering what your (and her) initial reactions to it are.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Dielle @ Jan 24 2009, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1160091[/snapback]
    So, it's been a week, how'd it go? I know a week's not that long, just wondering what your (and her) initial reactions to it are.

Well we made it through the first 4 days without complaint. Then day 5 showed up and I just don't think she wanted to do the work. It was not hard, she was just in a whiny mood. I'm still not sure she understands place value so we might go back to that again. So far I think she likes it, but she is doing stuff that she has already seen in her other work, so everything is easy for her. The challenge will be when it actually gets to something she is having problems in.