ID twins, left/right handed?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by scrappycindy, Feb 16, 2011.

1. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I suspected my twins were mirror image ID's really early on. Their opposite ears were shaped the same. But, their hair swirls go the same way, so I wasn't sure. And, the NICU found small cysts in their brains on the same side for each of them (they think the cysts will be totally harmless, BTW). At 15 mo, when I started introducing spoons, Hannah preferred her left hand, and Mary preferred her right. It's stayed that way, and I've noticed Hannah colors with her left most of the time, and points, reaches and throws lefthanded. Both my husband and I are righty. But, DH's mom is a lefty. So, it appears my ID's are opposite in this. It seems odd for ID twins! Anyone else have opposite handed IDs?

2. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine are opposite handed. Jesse is a lefty and Jayden is a righty. They also have opposite hair swirls.
    I've met MANY other twins that are opposite handed as well.

I think it's cool ! :)

3. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I think it's neat too... it will certainly help teachers in school know who is who!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine have been using opposite hands and their hair swirls in opposite directions and they are ID. I'm excited to see what else develops opposites on them. :)

5. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Saw this in the new posts link.

About 25% of ids are mirror image and for most, handedness is the main feature. It is commonly thought to be a feature of late splits (though we were di/di early splitters who are different handed so who knows)

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I have a lefty and a righty.

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

It is more common in ID twins to have one righty, other lefty. There is actually a theory that left handed people are actually the remaining twin from a "vanishing" twin. I saw an interesting documentary on it.

8. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Yeppers, one is left hand dominate and the other is right hand dominate. No idea yet which hand they will write with since they like to do the double color technique and put crayons in each hand when they color but one sucks on his left thumb and the other sucks on his right fingers. If I try and switch it out they get mad.

9. haleystar

Wow that's interesting. My Father and husband are both left handed and so is my brother.

10. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

This is such an interesting topic... I suspect one of mine to be a lefty too!

11. tiff12080

well..left handedness can be hereditary..although based on the aforementioned theory it's possible that ID twin are also heredity but have an increased risk of a vanishing twin..hmmmmm???

12. haleystar

Well mine aren't a result of hereditary. My boys are the only twin in the entire family.

13. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Mine are identical and they are both right handed:)

14. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

This is interesting...one of my ID girls seems to certainly be a righty and I've been suspecting the other is a lefty. My son didn't pick a dominant hand though until after 2 and he'll still use his left if he picks something up in it so I'm not sure I'll have confirmation anytime soon, lol.

I thought if they were opposites it meant they were mirror twins. I have also heard the vanishing twin theory too as we have quite a lot of leftys in our family but no other twins :).

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I've heard this also...my hubs is a lefty and so is my son (I have b/g frats though)

16. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Just to confuse the issue, I'll chime in and say that I have frats, one of which is a righty, and one of which has been strongly left-handed since he was 9 months old. We have no twins *or* lefties in the family! ;)

17. tiff12080

My point was..given the theory it's possible that there were twins in your family and those left handed people lost their twin early on..

18. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wavey: I'm a lefty with no current twin. I will say that I have been fascinated with twins since I can remember and always wanted to marry a twin- so who knows?