Identical or Fraternal?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TrishaLinn, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

We had assumed our boys would be fraternal since they were in the separate sacs and had separate placentas, but they look an awfully lot alike and have the same blood type. So, now we are wondering... not to mention EVERYONE is asking. I see some small differences and some other people do too. I'm not sure if it's just because Dylan is a few ounces bigger than Elliot that I'm seeing some of the difference though. So... what do you think?!
    My link

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I say ID. They are extremely cute!

3. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

They are beautiful. They look identical to me.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

they look ID to me. We were never told if our girls were ID or not (inconclusive in pathology report), but no one can ever tell ours apart. Everything is the same, they even gain and lost their teeth in the same order. They are the same height, the same weight, and as they are getting older they are looking more and more alike.

Cute boys!!

5. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

I think they definitely look identical!!! Adorable baby boys!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ID. Look at the shape of their chins, noses and eyes. Very cute, too!

7. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I say ID too...their ears are exactly the same. They are very cute :).

8. Jem2000

Jem2000 Member

I say identical. They look so much alike. If it were me, I'd probably get the test done to be 100% sure. They are absolutely adorable!

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean they're frat. There is high chance they're id. U can do the test :). They're are cute babies

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

aww they are so tiny and beautiful! Definitely identical!

11. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Adorable!!! I miss that stage!!!!

I'm going with identical...and buying a test because I would *have* to know for sure! :)

12. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Flickr is blocked at my work, so I can't see your pics, but it sounds like they are probably identical. Two things you can do before you shell out for a genetic test. Take pics of their faces. Since you have two older boys, compare them to photos of your older boys at 6 weeks. Some families just have very similar looking babies and they grow into their own faces later. If they look a lot like your other boys, it's inconclusive. IF they look a lot different from your other boys but a lot like each other, you a step move towards them being identical.
    next is zoom in on the photos on the screen so it's showing just a mouth. Can you tell who's mouth it is? The same with the nose, ear, one eye. What makes identical twins look different to parents is they have different expressions. (for example this recent photo of my girls.) By zooming in and just looking at one part of the face, you take away the expression. A third thing would be look at them (or take a pic) of them asleep.
    Lastly, I think you really need to wait a little while longer to decide. their head shape is very much affected by their position in the womb and that will still be noticable until they are closer to a year old. If by 9 months most people outside your immediate family can't tell them apart, they are almost certainly identical.

1 person likes this.
  13. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

They look identical to me. They are so cute. Congratulations!

14. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

We were told the same thing...frats due to two sacs and placentas. They were both girls and same blood type. We sprung for the DNA test. 5 days later...IDENTICAL!! Yours look ID to me. I was told you can easily tell by the ears and their ears look exactly the same!

15. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say identical (and very cute!). And from seeing tons of these posts on here, I would say that most of the time, if they look so much alike that the parents are thinking they might be identical, they usually are.

16. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd say ID too! And adorable!

17. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I'd say they are the most ID twins I've seen in a while!

18. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I'm going with Identical too !

19. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

We are going through the same thing with our girls!! Di/Di but their blood type is the same. We can tell them apart because Abbygael is now 3pounds heavier than Georgia but most people can't tell them apart. They are 6 months old today and look more alike now than they did when they were born. We would have them tested but I just don't want to pay the money to have it done. I am hoping the older they get the more we will be able to tell.

20. SBM

SBM New Member

So cute, I'd say identical too.

21. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My guess is ID, cutie boys!!

22. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Another vote for identical and super cute!

23. PurplePenguin

PurplePenguin Active Member

It's funny because my girls look different but they had one placenta and the pathology came back that they are identical. Anybody else have ID twins that looked different as infants?

24. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'm amazed when people are told (by professionals?!) that separate sacs & placentas mean fraternal... it's really the opposite, isn't it? - sharing a sac or placenta mean that they are identical. otherwise it just means that if they are identical that they split early enough to have their own sacs & placentas and they could be ID or fraternal... anyway, your boys are adorable, and I agree with others they look ID. I saw that their ears look the same too!

25. Tamaralynn

I was told ID right from the time I was 10 weeks. Pathology confirmed ID. They look NOTHING alike.

26. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They are adorable!! And I'm going with ID too! As someone said, eyes, nose, chins and ear shapes. If those are the same, they are probably ID :)

27. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

Update: Boys are still looking a LOT a like. Actually, I think I'm having a harder time telling them apart. Dylan has lost slightly less hair on the top of his head and weighs about a half pound more than Elliot. Also my tell-tale sign, Dylan has a little dimple on his belly. Not sure if any of these things preclude them from being identical. My mom used to be able to tell them apart, but can't anymore... I thought they'd start to look more different as they got older!

28. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

They sure look identical- and they sure are cute!!

29. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Yup! Lots of people assume frat at and shortly after birth. Womb position affects head shape and that can affect the look of a baby's face. Then as they learn to move their facial muscles differently as well, so their expressions, smiles, etc. are different.

That's what happened to my girls. When they were born it was easy to tell them about, around 3 months, they started to look alike (Biance grew out of her cone head, and Gabby caught up weight wise.) By 9 months, I'd even mix them up if they were sleeping. Awake, their expressions were always different, but asleep their features were exactly the same!

30. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I'm an ID twin that was also told we were fraternal because of two sacs and two placentas, but I think I read that 20-40% of ID twins split before implantation and have their own sac/placentas.

We did genetic testing for fun at 29 because we looked so much alike as kids and we are identical. We look much less alike now at 37 though.

My vote is ID. They look very much alike and it sounds like they are looking even more alike now. Also, very cute!

31. waldorF

waldorF New Member

Im gonna have fraternal twins soon.,I hope they are as cute as yours.

32. CamDaw2011

CamDaw2011 New Member

Does anyone know how to get a test done?

Does anyone know how to get a test done?

33. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I did a test for my boys. I just googled identical twins genetic testing and went with a cheap option. I think I paid $99 for the test. It was easy to do (from home) and the results are amazing- & were sent to my email which was nice.

34. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Me too - even though mine are only 5 weeks old on Monday, they look very different - Liara is heavier but her skin tone is darker than Sierra's. They look similar but you can easily tell the difference - perhaps that might change later.

35. Tamaralynn

Sounds like my guys. Nathaniel is darker skinned and heavier then William. I do have to say though lately they are looking way more alike. If they are walking away from me, I can no longer tell them apart and I used to be able too. William used to have a diferent shapped head, not anymore!