Identical or Fraternal?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TrishaLinn, Jul 6, 2011.

1. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Liara has a different shaped head too! LOL - we just keep finding those things in common, huh Tam ?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

lol yep! Odd that you have 3 girls and I have 3 boys. :p

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Like the previous post, I Googled "twins DNA testing" and went with Affiliated Genetics when the twins were 6 months. Could have also gone with our pediatrician but it would have cost more. We HAD to know... our di/di boys are identical.

4. slavila

slavila Well-Known Member

First I just want to say, your babies are so stinkin' cute!!! And yes, they definitely look a like! It's so hard to tell when they are so little because they will be constantly changing. There are lots of siblings out there (not twins) that are often mistaken for twins because they look so a like.

Did your doctor ever mention what he thought they were from the pregnancy? It all depends on the timing of when the egg split and implantation on whether they will have their own placenta and sac (for identicals). Some identicals can have their own placentas.

The only way of knowing for sure is a DNA test or the pathology report of the placenta(s).

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would say ID too!! What I do knw is that they are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!

6. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

Are you going to get testing done? I did with my twins just before they turned 1. They were di/di twins and I was the only one that thought they were identical and I was right.

7. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

Alright, I think we're going to get the testing done. I go back and forth as to whether I think they're identical. They have a few little things, like their ears being slightly different and Dylan having a little dimple on his belly and a small birth mark on his upper thigh, that are different. My husband swears there some sort difference with the bridge of their nose, but I don't see it. Honestly, when I just look at them I have a really hard time telling them apart still... kinda makes me feel like a bad mom! My mom is sure they're identical and it's driving her crazy not knowing, so after seeing some new pics today she called me and said that she wanted me to order the testing because she just had to know and she was paying for it. Funny lady! Anyhow, I've posted some more recent pics if anyone wants to see and take a stab at what you think....

My link

8. TrishaLinn

Oh, and they're both back and being almost the same weight too... that doesn't help! 13lb 6oz and 13lb 7oz

9. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Still ID ! :)

10. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

ID!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Tamaralynn

I will be VERY surprised if it comes back that they are no ID.

12. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I still say ID! Let us know what the test results are!

13. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'd take her up on her offer! :) Yep, definitely ID!

14. TrishaLinn

We received our kit in the mail today. I'm going to swab the babies mouths tonight and again tomorrow morning and put it back in the mail! We're so excited to find out.

THe babies both got in their 2 bottom teeth a week ago. I'm not sure if identical twins tend to get their teeth in around the same time or not, but these boys got their teeth within days of each other. It's interesting to me because my first son got his first 2 teeth at 3 months, my second son at 4 months and BOTH of these boys at 5 months.

15. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

ID!!!! Get a test..or don't waste the money..so ID

16. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

my boys got their teeth always within a week of the other.

17. TrishaLinn

TEST RESULTS ARE IN!

"We are pleased to report to you the results of the twin zygosity test that you requested. Analysis of the DNA indicates that Dylan Edward and Elliot John are monozygotic, or more commonly referred to as identical twins."

18. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So great you finally know...although to a stranger its soo obvious! So cute!

19. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Doesn't it feel good to have a definitive answer? I love being able to answer people's ultimate question.

20. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought it was obvious also, but it's good to know for sure. They are very cute :).

21. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding out!! So nice to be able to answer that question with certainty! :)

22. Tamaralynn

Yay! Congrats on finding out.

23. TrishaLinn

It is great fun to know and will be nice to be able to answer the questions (I think I've been asked 1000 times at least in their almost 6 months of life!).