IE appt tomorrow ~ I can't help being nervous

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Aprilisdisney, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

To preface, I've been a little (not alot, but somewhat :search: ) concerned about Alexis and Peyton's speech lately. Of course everyone that I talk to says that they're fine, and that I shouldn't worry. I even spoke with a few teachers that I used to work with, and they said that they thought they were developing fine. One did mention that some twins do have a harder time with speech as they sometimes form their own 'language' ~ which it seems A&P have at times. I on the otherhand am with them all day long, and wonder/think that they should be communicating more. Of course, it's hard when you know other 'twins' or singletons that are their same age (if not younger) that are speaking in full phrases and sentences. It's hard not to compare...although I do try :)

A&P are 2 1/2 and talk fairly well, however they don't really say any phrases and/or sentences. They'll say: sit down, stand up, get off, here you go...basically things that we've said to them (probably a 100 times or more) They'll get anything I ask them to, can follow instructions (although, they're 2 and like to test things already :crazy: ) know their colors and can name different animals/pictures/places/etc.

Anyway, I called on Monday and the lady had an opening for tomorrow, Thursday. I was surprised that it was so fast, however glad as I had little time to 'back out'. I'm looking forward to having someone else (a professional) watch/listen/interact with the kiddos to see if what I'm 'feeling' is accurate or not.

I'm nervous for some reason, although I know I shouldn't be. Sorry for babbling away..I just needed to 'talk' to someone about it and get it off my chest (DH is asleep and I already talked his ear off earlier)

THANKS gals!!
    April :)

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with having them evaluated for your own peace of mind. :hug: If they were delayed and you didn't do anything about it, then you would be kicking yourself.

I remember being nervous for the evals too. It's hard not to wonder if something is wrong. :hug: :hug:

Please let us know how it goes!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was nervous before I had my son evaluated for our concerns about him not using his legs to crawl. But once they came to the house, they were very reassuring, kind and helpful and even though he did not need services, I was glad I called. Good luck and let us know how you make out :hug:

4. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Hey lady! It's good that you're having them evaluated, because from what you're describing, I bet it will just put your mind at ease. [​IMG]

Their receptive language sounds perfect, and if they know colors, animals, etc. then you know they're on track cognitively. So, even if there is a little bit of a speech delay, it's probably minor. It's true that it's very common with twins.

Karina isn't much past A&P in terms of speech -- *maybe* she says 3 or 4-word phrases now, and she's not really making real conversation. She repeats a lot of stuff, and she'll say "Nadia make snowman" or "Hey Kevan, what are you doing?" -- but, she's mostly saying stock phrases. She doesn't answer yes/no questions reliably, and she won't really make a choice between two items, but rather will repeat the last thing we say. She's also still pointing and identifying everything she sees.

However, Kevan's speech therapist talks to her weekly, and she's not worried. Karina's maybe a bit behind, but it's clear that she's progressing, so we're going to leave it alone for now. (It does help that Kev sees a million therapists that I can ask for advice whenever I need it, LOL.)

Keep us posted on how the evaluation goes!

5. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

ITA!! :hug:

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

:hug: Good luck today. I think it's great that you called for the evaluation - nothing to lose! I did it around 14 months, and it was a big relief at a time when that was needed. Let us know how everything goes!

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Good Luck today! It never hurts to get them evaluated. I understand the nerves though. Both DH and I were nervous when DD was evaluted for PT (late walker). You will feel much better once the eval is over regardless of what they say. Just knowing, will be a relief. :hug:

8. Aprilisdisney

Well ~ I guess I have a few more days of 'worrying'. The lady had to cancel as her battery died and she was waiting for AAA to get to her. We rescheduled for next Tuesday.

I'll be sure to come back and update then! Thanks again for all the words of encouragement ~ they are very much appreciated!!

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

GL with your appointment next Tuesday :hug:

10. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Just a ditto to this as my DD seems to be about the same level with speech as your twins and Karina. DS's speech therapist sees her weekly when she does Aidan's therapy, and she's never mentioned any concerns to me about DD's language development.

GL next week!

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Oh bummer! Definitely come back to let us know how it goes Tuesday.

12. Aprilisdisney

Ok, not sure if I have piece of mind now or not :)

They both were either at age or a above age in all areas, except speech. They were 25 & 24 months in speech. They aren't 25% behind, so they don't 'qualify' for services, however she does want to have them evaluated by an actual speech therapist. The speech therapists 'testing' is mainly on speech/phrases/understanding vs. her eval that just looks to see if they can say words/how many, etc. She thinks that they are behind from other children their age and that their words are 'hard' to understand completely.

Now I need to call our insurance company and coordinate information and such to see about having them tested with a Speech Therapist. Hopefully we can get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the support!

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Thanks for updating us. I am glad that you have this info to work with as a starting point, and hopefully the speech therapist will help you to get an even better understanding of exactly what's going on. Good luck with the next step in the process! :hug: