If school doesn't start soon

Discussion in 'General' started by Donita, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

In the mornings H M and T go to band camp until 12:45. Then in the afternoon Daniel goes to football practice at 3:00. In just those couple of hours that they are all home it's one constant fight. They didn't fight this much when they were home all day with each other. :angry:

2. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My boys are much younger and I am having the same problem!!! I am counting down the days!

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Y'all should all move to TN. School has been in session since last Friday. ;)

4. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Oh you lucky duck!!

After I posted this, I ended up sending them all to their rooms. Daniel didn't think he should have to go. He actually said to me "it's THEM, do you see me fighting when they aren't here? NO you do not" :fool: <---- me

Cristina, I think we should send all of our kids to Ruby's house until school starts! :laughing:

5. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Aug 14 2008, 04:32 PM) [snapback]930533[/snapback]
    Oh you lucky duck!!
    Lucky? School started here on Monday It's STILL SUMMER!!! :rolleyes: Ugh - every year I complain but I HATE, HATE, HATE school starting in August. Ridiculous! :angry:

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Actually, I hate the early start, too, but it does cut down on the bickering. Of course, it comes with a mid-May dismissal, so they have plenty of time to bicker. :rolleyes:

7. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

LOL Kim, I was thinking of you when I was posting. I loved it when we got out in May and started back in early August. The state is trying to get us back to an after Labor Day start because the early return cuts into tourism money.

8. Mama_Kim

I'm sorry, D, but I think it is positively asinine that we get out so early in May before the super hot weather strikes, and then they send our kids back to school in early August, at the hottest point of the summer! Last year my boys were running Cross Country practice every day in 98 degree heat. It's downright dangerous! Cross country starts again next week and I am praying it won't be so hot. Several area schools had to close due to the heat. One school district was closed for eight days. We are actively working to mandate an after Labor Day start here in TN and the movement is gaining momentum.

9. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Daniel keeps hoping for cloudy/rainy days.. LOL

The reason I liked them getting out in May is that we were able to do something for vacation before it got too hot.

10. Mama_Kim

See, I think August is meant for vacation. It's usually too hot to do anything else. Definitely too hot for school, imo.

11. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

August is meant for hiding indoors in the a/c. :laughing:

12. Mama_Kim

Which would be great if the schools actually had A/C that worked!

13. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Aug 15 2008, 06:14 AM) [snapback]931409[/snapback]
    Which would be great if the schools actually had A/C that worked!

See, all you need to do is move here. ;)

14. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

For the last 2 weeks I haven't let my kids get on the computer AT ALL. They were making me crazy with it, and they couldn't just sit there and not mess with my stuff. I have 2 staplers, they're gone. I keep finding staples pulled apart and thrown on the floor. They keep wasting my printer paper to write down their friends' screen names. etc etc

So anyway.. here is where all of this ties into this thread.. :laughing: Last night Jeff said, "since you quit letting them play on the computer, they just don't seem to fight as much". WHAT?!?!?! He should be here during the week. Then again when he's around they don't dare fight.

It drives me crazy. He has never had to spank them or anything, yet all he has to do is snap and they quit acting like heathens. I don't get it!! :umm:

15. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

LOL I just found this thread!

Kim, I am with you on the May/August thing. It makes NO SENSE!

Donita, I hear you on the bickering during those last few weeks of summer break. IT's like the last 10 miles of a really long drive; everyone is fine until that last ten miles and suddenly everyone is bickering and whining! LOL

I think older kids just get god and tired of no routines and they get antsy....but as school approaches, they get testy because the break is nearly over and they feel like they didn't do anything! Of course, they may have had a trip, worked a summer job, had activities galore, but when they get older they just don't seem to feel quite as much satisfaction. :(

I think it's just the in-between age these teens are at. They are still young enough to remember/dream of the "idyllic" summers of childhood, but too old to find satisfaction in the simple pleasures that made those childhood summers so idyllic. ;) IN a couple of more years, I think things will even out again.

Meanwhile, I guess we just have to hope that they hold on until school starts and remind them to enjoy these last few days!

16. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

You're right Renee... it's that last 10 miles thing. I just have to keep telling myself.. we're almost there.. we're almost there. :laughing: Anyone have duct tape handy? ;)

17. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Today has been SO NICE!! I put the kids on the bus at 7. I couldn't find my camera for our usual 1st day of school pic. :( But, then I went back to bed until 9. Got dressed and went shopping with a friend. Had lunch at Chili's. Aaaaaah

18. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Glad you had a nice day, D! My kids' first half day is tomorrow, but our exchange student had his new student orientation today. First full day is Wednesday for all of them. I have grooming planned for Minnie and a vet visit...

19. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

So you're first full day of relaxing will be Thursday?