If you had to vote today

Discussion in 'General' started by AWerner, Jul 5, 2007.

?

If you had to vote today for U.S. President, who would you pick?

1. Biden, Joe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clinton, Hillary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dodd, Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Edwards, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Giuliani, Rudy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huckabee, Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. McCain, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Obama, Barack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Paul, Ron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Romney, Mitt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Thompson, Fred

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jul 8 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]321745[/snapback]
    Okay mar66rus2... :)
    I can't seem to get the quotes right, so just from what you've said, I'll do my best.

-Yes, Bush signed and implemented NCLB. Was it a good idea? Probably not. I'm not a teacher, but I do have a child in public schools and I've not only spent time in his classroom, I've tutored his peers that were behind. I know and understand the frustration teachers feel. But, I wanted to point out that Ted Kennedy had a very large hand in writing that bill (I believe he'd tried to introduce something similar before?) and that it wasn't some sort of Bush brainchild. Hence the point that HE isn't entirely responsible.

-And again, I understand your frustration with gas prices. I think we ALL know how hard it's hit our pocketbooks. Gosh, when I learned how to drive, I was paying $.89/gallon. I could dig under my car seat and find enough change to get half a tank. Violence and strife in other countries really do have something to do with how our price fluctuates. But, again, it's tied to OPEC and the fact that there isn't enough production/refineries here to balance it out.

-I don't think I said this in my original post, but I do admit to having issues with the Bush administration when it comes to domestic policy. The immigration bill was a disaster and I couldn't believe someone, who had been the governor of Texas, would even TRY to get Americans to agree to that. If you don't live in a border state (or really even in the south), you cannot fully comprehend the drain that illegals are on our system. Texas has some of the highest health care premiums in the nation!

-I didn't say that the north has to suffer. I was just pointing out the problems. The south seems to be more business friendly right now. Mostly because it's conservative and the unions aren't very strong in most parts. It's even more affordable to live down here. And while I agree that many jobs are going to Mexico and China, I feel the need to point out that this isn't new. I'd have to look it up, but while Bush has been in office, more jobs have been created (not sure how many) and our economy is actually very strong. This is despite the hit we took after 9/11.

-I don't buy the whole "they hate us more now" argument. I think they've hated us all along. I think we have to really take into account how these people live. What do they see on TV every day...in some places (like North Korea) what are they even allowed to see? Whether we want to believe it or not, America is really one of the only TRULY free nations on this earth. We aren't jailed for looking up the word "democracy" on Google. On the other hand, if all I saw on TV were some of the reality shows they show here...I'd probably hate us too. :p

-Bush did not pardon Libby. He commuted his sentence. Two different things. In his time in office, Bush has actually pardoned 13 (or is it 16?) people. Clinton pardoned 61. It's "tradition" for lack of a better term. I'd much rather see someone like Scooter Libby pardoned than some of the people Clinton let off the hook. It's important to really read up between the difference between state, local and federal governments. Yes, in general, they all work together, but not without a whole lot of red tape. Katrina is a really good example. The state and local governments refused to cover their behinds (even when Bush begged the governor of LA to declare a State of Emergency, which isn't his job). They relied on the federal government when it wasn't their job to cover disaster relief to that amount. In truth, the President's powers are very limited...and, there's a good reason for that.

-I honestly think you and I are probably on the same page. There may be a few tiffs here and there, but in general I really do agree with you. I'm just personally really, really sick of the Bush bashing. It's been going on non-stop for almost 8 years and half of the things the left throws around aren't even accurate. I think that's what's so frustrating. If you want to dislike him, make a decent argument for it. I'm okay with that. I think, unfortunately, you might have just gotten the brunt of my hot-sports-opinion there. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Anyway...back on topic!

AGAIN great post. I agree and enjoyed it.!!!!

Brandy

2. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jul 8 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]321713[/snapback]
    I think I understand the point Trish e was trying to make.

I guess we could use the governor of California as an example. Remember the whole Nazi debacle before/shortly after he was elected? The debate was, could his father have passed on some of those beliefs, and if he did, is this really someone we want as an elected official. I think for some people, Obama falls into that category.

Whether we want to believe it or not (and whether the media wants to continue to tiptoe around it or not), the people we are fighting ARE Muslim extremeists. And while we've all been practically beaten into tolerating and even accepting every type of lifestyle out there, the truth is...at some point we all have a decision to make as to how we feel about it. I guess it's a personal choice.

Anyway, I think all she was saying is that she didn't want to take that chance. Even the OFF chance that somewhere along the way, Obama was exposed to those kinds of beliefs. The truth is we just don't know. And, that goes for anyone...maybe for others Romney falls into that category with his LDS beliefs. I *know* there are many, many people out there who think even Bush's Christian beliefs have come into play in his decision making.

Maybe it's alarmist, but maybe for some people, it's just not a chance they're willing to take.

:bow2: :bow2: :bow2: Thank you!!!! Exactly what I'm getting at!!!!! Nicely said!!!! :bow2: :bow2: :bow2:

3. Trish_e

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jul 8 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]321745[/snapback]
    I can't seem to get the quotes right, so just from what you've said, I'll do my best.

-Yes, Bush signed and implemented NCLB. Was it a good idea? Probably not. I'm not a teacher, but I do have a child in public schools and I've not only spent time in his classroom, I've tutored his peers that were behind. I know and understand the frustration teachers feel. But, I wanted to point out that Ted Kennedy had a very large hand in writing that bill (I believe he'd tried to introduce something similar before?) and that it wasn't some sort of Bush brainchild. Hence the point that HE isn't entirely responsible.

-And again, I understand your frustration with gas prices. I think we ALL know how hard it's hit our pocketbooks. Gosh, when I learned how to drive, I was paying $.89/gallon. I could dig under my car seat and find enough change to get half a tank. Violence and strife in other countries really do have something to do with how our price fluctuates. But, again, it's tied to OPEC and the fact that there isn't enough production/refineries here to balance it out.

-I don't think I said this in my original post, but I do admit to having issues with the Bush administration when it comes to domestic policy. The immigration bill was a disaster and I couldn't believe someone, who had been the governor of Texas, would even TRY to get Americans to agree to that. If you don't live in a border state (or really even in the south), you cannot fully comprehend the drain that illegals are on our system. Texas has some of the highest health care premiums in the nation!

-I didn't say that the north has to suffer. I was just pointing out the problems. The south seems to be more business friendly right now. Mostly because it's conservative and the unions aren't very strong in most parts. It's even more affordable to live down here. And while I agree that many jobs are going to Mexico and China, I feel the need to point out that this isn't new. I'd have to look it up, but while Bush has been in office, more jobs have been created (not sure how many) and our economy is actually very strong. This is despite the hit we took after 9/11.

-I don't buy the whole "they hate us more now" argument. I think they've hated us all along. I think we have to really take into account how these people live. What do they see on TV every day...in some places (like North Korea) what are they even allowed to see? Whether we want to believe it or not, America is really one of the only TRULY free nations on this earth. We aren't jailed for looking up the word "democracy" on Google. On the other hand, if all I saw on TV were some of the reality shows they show here...I'd probably hate us too. :p

-Bush did not pardon Libby. He commuted his sentence. Two different things. In his time in office, Bush has actually pardoned 13 (or is it 16?) people. Clinton pardoned 61. It's "tradition" for lack of a better term. I'd much rather see someone like Scooter Libby pardoned than some of the people Clinton let off the hook. It's important to really read up between the difference between state, local and federal governments. Yes, in general, they all work together, but not without a whole lot of red tape. Katrina is a really good example. The state and local governments refused to cover their behinds (even when Bush begged the governor of LA to declare a State of Emergency, which isn't his job). They relied on the federal government when it wasn't their job to cover disaster relief to that amount. In truth, the President's powers are very limited...and, there's a good reason for that.

-I honestly think you and I are probably on the same page. There may be a few tiffs here and there, but in general I really do agree with you. I'm just personally really, really sick of the Bush bashing. It's been going on non-stop for almost 8 years and half of the things the left throws around aren't even accurate. I think that's what's so frustrating. If you want to dislike him, make a decent argument for it. I'm okay with that. I think, unfortunately, you might have just gotten the brunt of my hot-sports-opinion there. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Anyway...back on topic!

I completely agree!!!!! Great post!!!! :)

4. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jul 8 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]321745[/snapback]

Anyway...back on topic!

:good: :Clap: :clapping:

5. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

No offense but this whole "Obama, muslim, I am afraid he will change his views in office, wasn't raised in the U.S.."hysteria has me laughing out loud! Looks like Fox news has done their job.

Gee- why do Muslims feel like Christians don't understand them? Perhaps they have logged into this post and have read some of the ignorant and offensive things that were just written about them?
    Yikes.

6. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]321931[/snapback]
    No offense but this whole "Obama, muslim, I am afraid he will change his views in office, wasn't raised in the U.S.."hysteria has me laughing out loud! Looks like Fox news has done their job.

Gee- why do Muslims feel like Christians don't understand them? Perhaps they have logged into this post and have read some of the ignorant and offensive things that were just written about them?
    Yikes.

I totally agree with you 100%.

7. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Ron Paul fans (or Mike Gravel fans if there are any, but my guess is you won't find any of those on Twinstuff) should have been heartened if they had seen their candidate interviewed on This Week with George S. on ABC earlier today. Paul actually has more cash on hand now than McCain although Stephanopulus (sp?) basically asked Paul (I'm paraphrasing) that you realize you don't stand a chance of winning, don't you? To which Paul asked if he would be willing to bet every dollar he owned that he wouldn't win and George said yes, he would. Kind of funny, actuallly...

8. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]321931[/snapback]

Yikes.

I honestly feel everyone is entitled to their feelings. I dont think anyone is being ignorant...just stating that they have fears. Maybe these fears are unfounded. But maybe they arent either. Your fears (about anything) might not be someone elses. It also doesnt mean all these people watch Fox news. I watch all news channels. I also lived in an Exterme muslim country for 2 years...have friends who are muslims and experienced first hand some of the mean things they can do to Americans (because these particular people) did not like Americans. I also experienced the sweet loving people who are muslims and loved me and my kids. I trusted my nanny to take care of my children ...and she was muslim. Even though I may not agree with some of the fears listed...I do understand them and know that ALL people are entitled to their opinions and the right to vote how they want...based on the reasons they want.

Brandy

9. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 8 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]322041[/snapback]
    Ron Paul fans (or Mike Gravel fans if there are any, but my guess is you won't find any of those on Twinstuff) should have been heartened if they had seen their candidate interviewed on This Week with George S. on ABC earlier today. Paul actually has more cash on hand now than McCain although Stephanopulus (sp?) basically asked Paul (I'm paraphrasing) that you realize you don't stand a chance of winning, don't you? To which Paul asked if he would be willing to bet every dollar he owned that he wouldn't win and George said yes, he would. Kind of funny, actuallly...

Yup :) I saw it this morning. Unlike some candidates, such as Mit Romney who loaned his own campaign $6.5 million, Ron Paul's donations are coming in from individual supporters ("normal folks"). I'm hoping more people got their interest aroused from the interview and are reading up about him. It would be soooo nice to have a leader that believes in the constitution and believes in leading by example. (Not to mention the bit about giving the IRS and the Federal Reserve a boot to the fanny -- but that's just a perk.) Some of his ideas seem pretty radical on the surface, but so many of the "institutions" that we've gotten ourselves entangled with are pretty modern (WWI /II era) and they just aren't working for us anymore. We could be doing so much better as a nation, but it's taking that first step that's frightening people. Kind of like cleaning out a super messy room. You don't know where to start, so you just close the door and keep piling junk in it. What I like about Ron Paul is that he's ready to show up in Washington with a shovel, a dumpster and a helping hand.

10. Trish_e

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 8 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]322051[/snapback]
    Yup :) I saw it this morning. Unlike some candidates, such as Mit Romney who loaned his own campaign $6.5 million, Ron Paul's donations are coming in from individual supporters ("normal folks"). I'm hoping more people got their interest aroused from the interview and are reading up about him. It would be soooo nice to have a leader that believes in the constitution and believes in leading by example. (Not to mention the bit about giving the IRS and the Federal Reserve a boot to the fanny -- but that's just a perk.) Some of his ideas seem pretty radical on the surface, but so many of the "institutions" that we've gotten ourselves entangled with are pretty modern (WWI /II era) and they just aren't working for us anymore. We could be doing so much better as a nation, but it's taking that first step that's frightening people. Kind of like cleaning out a super messy room. You don't know where to start, so you just close the door and keep piling junk in it. What I like about Ron Paul is that he's ready to show up in Washington with a shovel, a dumpster and a helping hand.

I haven't heard a whole lot about Ron Paul until now. I've been reading up on him and I like most of what I'm reading. :)

11. Jersey_Girls

I LOVE that Hillary is winning this poll! And Obama is in 2nd place! There is hope for this country....:)

This IS my dream ticket btw- woo hoo!

12. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 8 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]322041[/snapback]

I saw it and I love everything he has to say! He sounds like a really genuine and very smart person. I'm happy to see that he is showing up more in the media now. :)

13. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]322125[/snapback]
    I LOVE that Hillary is winning this poll!

Maybe because of all the woman here? lol

14. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(Monika @ Jul 8 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]322128[/snapback]
    Maybe because of all the woman here? lol

You forgot the word "intelligent" in front of women. :)

15. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tasha @ Jul 6 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]319827[/snapback]
    I am surprised to see so many for Hillary.....I can't see that lady in command of our country....that would make me feel totally unsafe in this U.S. of A.

Agreed! I don't know much about all the candidates, but one thing I'm sure of, I will not vote for Hillary. There isn't a thing about her policies etc.. that I like. I think she's a bunch of fluff.

I hope this video clip doesn't offend anyone, I found it very funny. If a woman were president

Warning: some curse words.

16. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]322131[/snapback]

Of course! How could I forget that! :laughing:

17. twinstuff-old

Actually because of the way this poll was set up, I really don't think you can say it shows that Hillary is "leading". She does have the most votes over Obama as of this post, but you should also look at the total # of votes by party. The five Democratic candidates have 55 votes while the six Republican candidates have 49 votes. And there are eight others who could be either party or an Independent Party candidate. I'd put that in the too close to call categry. it's just that most of the Democratic candidate's votes are being split between Hillary or Barack so that's why they're ahead of the leading Republican vote-getters in this unscientific poll.

18. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(TwinsItIs @ Jul 8 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]322139[/snapback]
    Agreed! I don't know much about all the candidates, but one thing I'm sure of, I will not vote for Hillary. There isn't a thing about her policies etc.. that I like. I think she's a bunch of fluff.

I hope this video clip doesn't offend anyone, I found it very funny. If a woman were president

Warning: some curse words.

I hate stuff like this. It reminds me of being in 6th grade again and having the same discussion of "What if a woman were president?" with boys. ( 30 years ago.). Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

19. 8isgreat

8isgreat Well-Known Member

Heard an interesting stat on Obama....not sure if this has been discussed yet....have not gone through all of the posts...

He states that he is for the poor....he had a $2.1 mill book deal and his wife makes over $300,000 a year and he donated less than the average family (which is about $1,500 a year)!! Less than!!

While on the other hand....Cheney....all the $$ he made on his investments (which is 1.7 million) he gave away to charity.

Thought that was interesting and really tells me something about Obama!!

Unfortunately, most of the politicians seem to be about themselves and not the public. I wish there was a simple solution to the mess I feel we are in now....but both parties have issues!! And to be honest.....I feel there is not much difference. The life issue is the main difference for me....hence...I will not vote D. And yes....there are some reservations about Guilliani.

I feel for me to make a decision....I will need to see some more debates.

I must say....Fred Thompson has my interest. Need to see where he stands on issues. The ones I have seen so far....seem to be more to the middle.

So....I did not vote in the poll. Just my humble 2 cents.

20. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

It would be soooo nice to have a leader that believes in the constitution and believes in leading by example. (Not to mention the bit about giving the IRS and the Federal Reserve a boot to the fanny -- but that's just a perk.)

What is his position on the Federal Reserve? I'm really curious. I've lived in countries where politicians mess with the central bank and it's always a disaster. So this comment about the Federal Reserve pricked my interest. Depending on what his views are, I'll either :yahoo: or :shok: .

21. Mellizos

Heard an interesting stat on Obama....not sure if this has been discussed yet....have not gone through all of the posts...

He states that he is for the poor....he had a $2.1 mill book deal and his wife makes over $300,000 a year and he donated less than the average family (which is about $1,500 a year)!! Less than!!

While on the other hand....Cheney....all the $$ he made on his investments (which is 1.7 million) he gave away to charity.

So he pulled himself up by the boot straps, worked in jobs organizing labor and fighting for the poor, but gets slammed because he got a book deal? And it's a sin that his wife is well-educated and makes good money? I'd be interested to see how many HOURS Obama and his wife devote to charity and non-paying gigs.

As for Cheney, it's the least he can do for what he has done to this country. I rank him above Nixon on the horrific scale.

22. twinstuff-old

QUOTE(8isgreat @ Jul 8 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]322260[/snapback]

Thought that was interesting and really tells me something about Obama!!

Unfortunately, most of the politicians seem to be about themselves and not the public. I wish there was a simple solution to the mess I feel we are in now....but both parties have issues!! And to be honest.....I feel there is not much difference. The life issue is the main difference for me....hence...I will not vote D. And yes....there are some reservations about Guilliani.

I feel for me to make a decision....I will need to see some more debates.

I must say....Fred Thompson has my interest. Need to see where he stands on issues. The ones I have seen so far....seem to be more to the middle.

So....I did not vote in the poll. Just my humble 2 cents.

I never heard this before but did some quick research and found the following Chicago Tribune story which seems pretty well-researched.

It shows some of the information you presented, but my guess is you've seen information passed down and it's lost something in the translation. So when you say Obama contributed less than the average American household after his book deal and making $2.1 million in income, that doesn't appear to be exactly the case.

Just reading the story it seems that in 2002 (before Obama became a Senator) he and his wife earned a combined $259,394 and only contributed $1,050 to charity. That's pretty weak. But in 2006, they earned $983,626 and claimed $60,307 in charitable donations. In 2005 they earned a combined $1.65 million and gave away about $77,300 (that was after his most recent book deal). Comparing that to President Bush in 2006, he and the First Lady reported $765,801 in income and $78,100 in charitable donations while Vice President Cheney and his wife had $1.6 million in income with $104,425 in charitable donations. So Obama and Cheney were pretty close in 2006 donations (both in the 6% range) and both were behind President Bush (10%).

Again it sounds like your post had some details which corresponded slightly to the information presented in this article, but it's not as you reported it.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...1,3690658.story

23. Mellizos

I'm changing my vote.

I vote for Craig for President. Forget the Clinton 2-1 deal. We'd get the Craig and his twin 2-1 deal. Frankly, he's more intelligent and level-headed than most of the declared candidates. But all of you who visit the Corn know my feelings on this subject. ;)

24. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ Jul 8 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]322328[/snapback]
    What is his position on the Federal Reserve? I'm really curious. I've lived in countries where politicians mess with the central bank and it's always a disaster. So this comment about the Federal Reserve pricked my interest. Depending on what his views are, I'll either :yahoo: or :shok: .

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2002/cr091002b.htm

By REP. RON PAUL

Mr. Speaker, I rise to introduce legislation to restore financial stability to America's economy by abolishing the Federal Reserve. I also ask unanimous consent to insert the attached article by Lew Rockwell, president of the Ludwig Von Mises Institute, which explains the benefits of abolishing the Fed and restoring the gold standard, into the record.

Since the creation of the Federal Reserve, middle and working-class Americans have been victimized by a boom-and-bust monetary policy. In addition, most Americans have suffered a steadily eroding purchasing power because of the Federal Reserve's inflationary policies. This represents a real, if hidden, tax imposed on the American people.

From the Great Depression, to the stagflation of the seventies, to the burst of the dotcom bubble last year, every economic downturn suffered by the country over the last 80 years can be traced to Federal Reserve policy. The Fed has followed a consistent policy of flooding the economy with easy money, leading to a misallocation of resources and an artificial "boom" followed by a recession or depression when the Fed-created bubble bursts.

With a stable currency, American exporters will no longer be held hostage to an erratic monetary policy. Stabilizing the currency will also give Americans new incentives to save as they will no longer have to fear inflation eroding their savings. Those members concerned about increasing America's exports or the low rate of savings should be enthusiastic supporters of this legislation.

Though the Federal Reserve policy harms the average American, it benefits those in a position to take advantage of the cycles in monetary policy. The main beneficiaries are those who receive access to artificially inflated money and/or credit before the inflationary effects of the policy impact the entire economy. Federal Reserve policies also benefit big spending politicians who use the inflated currency created by the Fed to hide the true costs of the welfare-warfare state. It is time for Congress to put the interests of the American people ahead of the special interests and their own appetite for big government.

Abolishing the Federal Reserve will allow Congress to reassert its constitutional authority over monetary policy. The United States Constitution grants to Congress the authority to coin money and regulate the value of the currency. The Constitution does not give Congress the authority to delegate control over monetary policy to a central bank. Furthermore, the Constitution certainly does not empower the federal government to erode the American standard of living via an inflationary monetary policy.

In fact, Congress' constitutional mandate regarding monetary policy should only permit currency backed by stable commodities such as silver and gold to be used as legal tender. Therefore, abolishing the Federal Reserve and returning to a constitutional system will enable America to return to the type of monetary system envisioned by our nation's founders: one where the value of money is consistent because it is tied to a commodity such as gold. Such a monetary system is the basis of a true free-market economy.

In conclusion, Mr. Speaker, I urge my colleagues to stand up for working Americans by putting an end to the manipulation of the money supply which erodes Americans' standard of living, enlarges big government, and enriches well-connected elites, by cosponsoring my legislation to abolish the Federal Reserve.

25. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]322131[/snapback]

I would consider myself quite an intelligent woman and I cannot stand the sight or mere mention of Hillary Clinton's name. In fact, there are many highly intelligent women on the far right side who would never vote for her or a man who gave a nice speech in a highly public forum but who is otherwise completely unqualified to be President of the United States.

26. Mellizos

I rise to introduce legislation to restore financial stability to America's economy by abolishing the Federal Reserve.

:icon_eek: :umm: :shok:

OMG!!! Run for the hills. Seriously, this is the most lucridous idea I have ever heard of. Trying to run our enormous economy without a central bank? :80:

27. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 9 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]322151[/snapback]
    I hate stuff like this. It reminds me of being in 6th grade again and having the same discussion of "What if a woman were president?" with boys. ( 30 years ago.). Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

OT, but haven't other countries had women as their primary leaders without completley devastating results?
    :unknw:

Alyson

28. Orestia

It's not quiiiite that simple :) Like i said earlier, some of his ideas are radical on the surface, until you stop and realize that so many of these institutions are modern and run quite poorly. Would we go back to the gold standard? No. He's said that yes, such a notion would be silly given the electronic nature of money. The Federal Reserve is a joke in its present incarnation, as is our involvement with "world bodies" like NAFTA, the UN, etc.

from his website:

In addition, the Federal Reserve, our central bank, fosters runaway debt by increasing the money supply — making each dollar in your pocket worth less. The Fed is a private bank run by unelected officials who are not required to be open or accountable to “we the people.”

Worse, our economy and our very independence as a nation is increasingly in the hands of foreign governments such as China and Saudi Arabia, because their central banks also finance our runaway spending.

We cannot continue to allow private banks, wasteful agencies, lobbyists, corporations on welfare, and governments collecting foreign aid to dictate the size of our ballooning budget. We need a new method to prioritize our spending. It’s called the Constitution of the United States.

29. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ Jul 8 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]322357[/snapback]

OMG!!! Run for the hills. Seriously, this is the most lucridous idea I have ever heard of. Trying to run our enormous economy without a central bank? :80:

To my understanding he wants to go back to the gold standard, where a dollar really means a dollar (don't print money unless you have it)

30. marieta

marieta Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ Jul 9 2007, 02:20 AM) [snapback]322357[/snapback]

It's some of the best ideas I've heard from anyone running! What the Fed has done is criminal in my opinion and it's time for a change.

Ron Paul is a libertarian, I have no idea what he is doing in the Republican party.

31. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(Jersey_Girls @ Jul 8 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]322131[/snapback]

Well I guess I aint intelligent thens...I just dont not like no Hillary Clinton or Obama for my President.

(Said in a very UNintelligent, southern ...accent you can come by)

BTW: This is a joke...I know I am an intelligent person..and this is the reason I am NOT voting for another Clinton. And I dont know enough about Obama to say yes or no..except I do know he doesnt care about the innocent lives of the unborn.

Brandy

32. bhayl

bhayl New Member

QUOTE(marieta @ Jul 8 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]322441[/snapback]
    It's some of the best ideas I've heard from anyone running! What the Fed has done is criminal in my opinion and it's time for a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kxTkhwR_Q

33. 8isgreat

8isgreat Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 8 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]322337[/snapback]
    I never heard this before but did some quick research and found the following Chicago Tribune story which seems pretty well-researched.

It shows some of the information you presented, but my guess is you've seen information passed down and it's lost something in the translation. So when you say Obama contributed less than the average American household after his book deal and making $2.1 million in income, that doesn't appear to be exactly the case.

Just reading the story it seems that in 2002 (before Obama became a Senator) he and his wife earned a combined $259,394 and only contributed $1,050 to charity. That's pretty weak. But in 2006, they earned $983,626 and claimed $60,307 in charitable donations. In 2005 they earned a combined $1.65 million and gave away about $77,300 (that was after his most recent book deal). Comparing that to President Bush in 2006, he and the First Lady reported $765,801 in income and $78,100 in charitable donations while Vice President Cheney and his wife had $1.6 million in income with $104,425 in charitable donations. So Obama and Cheney were pretty close in 2006 donations (both in the 6% range) and both were behind President Bush (10%).

Again it sounds like your post had some details which corresponded slightly to the information presented in this article, but it's not as you reported it.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...1,3690658.story

I heard that on the radio and had not searched it on the internet yet. Thanks for the link.

There are many other things that will keep me from voting for Obama. Some of his issues he is left of Hillary and that I do not agree with. I do think it is unfair for him to get the attention from the press that he is junior....I consider Hillary there too.....obviously, Obama more than her. I guess that can go for Fred Thompson as well!!

The good and the ugly thing is that we have a long way until the election. I am waiting for some more meaty debates. Or am I? :eek:

34. Orestia

QUOTE(Orestia @ Jul 8 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]322423[/snapback]
    Would we go back to the gold standard? No. He's said that yes, such a notion would be silly given the electronic nature of money. The Federal Reserve is a joke in its present incarnation, as is our involvement with "world

ACK! In my haste to respond I misrepresented and misquoted. I am awesome. I think I was thinking of an interview he did where he was talking about electronic banking or something and got myself all mixed up. Just see below and poke me in the rear.

QUOTE(Monika @ Jul 8 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]322431[/snapback]
    To my understanding he wants to go back to the gold standard, where a dollar really means a dollar (don't print money unless you have it)

I'm glad you're awake and fixing my dumb stuff :) Thank you!

35. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AWerner @ Jul 8 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]322410[/snapback]
    OT, but haven't other countries had women as their primary leaders without completley devastating results?
    :unknw:

Alyson

Golda Meir keeps coming to mind as I read this discussion.