If you had to vote today

Discussion in 'General' started by AWerner, Jul 5, 2007.

?

If you had to vote today for U.S. President, who would you pick?

1. Biden, Joe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clinton, Hillary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dodd, Chris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Edwards, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Giuliani, Rudy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Huckabee, Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. McCain, John

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Obama, Barack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Paul, Ron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Romney, Mitt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Thompson, Fred

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 8 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]322148[/snapback]
    Actually because of the way this poll was set up, I really don't think you can say it shows that Hillary is "leading". She does have the most votes over Obama as of this post, but you should also look at the total # of votes by party. The five Democratic candidates have 55 votes while the six Republican candidates have 49 votes. And there are eight others who could be either party or an Independent Party candidate. I'd put that in the too close to call categry. it's just that most of the Democratic candidate's votes are being split between Hillary or Barack so that's why they're ahead of the leading Republican vote-getters in this unscientific poll.

Craig, when I clicked on this post and voted the first thing I did was tally like you did, I didn't really care about the individual results!

As for calling anyone racist, unintelligent, uninformed or even a murderer because they don't agree with your candidate of choice or beliefs really isn't going to sway anyone. It actually pushes them farther away.

I will not vote for Obama simply because I don't think he has the experience to lead us. It has nothing to do with race or religion. I just don't think he can do it.

As for Hilary, I think she is too abrasive and in your face...now I am very abrasive and in your face also and don't think I would make a good president either.

I was talking with my girlfriend last night about the election and she is from NYC and I point blank asked her about Guilliani. She said she would vote for him in a heartbeat. She described NYC as a cesspool before he came and cleaned it up. I don't think that just because he ran a city (even thought NYC is large) qualifies him to run our entire country. Again, the lack of experience jumps out at me.

I have to agree with those on Romney and the Big Dig, that is a quagmire if ever there was one!

Edwards doesn't do it for me period. Can't explain it, and my intuition may be wrong here, but I am going with it.

McCain, love him! I think the man has guts. I think the way Bush attacked him was disgraceful, probably one of the most disgraceful things Bush has done.

I don't know enought right now about the other candidates, but will make an informed decision when the time comes. I read a lot and will continue to do so before the election. I don't believe you can form your opinions based on just one news source. So look beyond, read, research, and then decide, but don't criticize others for their choices, let's just be thankful people actually WANT to vote and hopefully will get up off ther butts and actually do it. In my mind if you don't vote then don't complain...not meant to knock anyone who can't vote. There is a difference between can't and don't.

2. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

The Federal Reserve is a joke in its present incarnation, as is our involvement with "world bodies" like NAFTA, the UN, etc.

:icon_eek:
    I know that dislike, even hatred of the UN and similar organizations, is part of the conservative, Republican platform. This is precisely why I can never be a Republican, even though I agree on other issues. I'm in the line of work where I see the good that the UN, OAS, IMF, and World Bank do every single day. Sure, there is some bureaucratic bloat, but the elimination of these organizations would be devastating.

3. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 8 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]322148[/snapback]
    Actually because of the way this poll was set up, I really don't think you can say it shows that Hillary is "leading". She does have the most votes over Obama as of this post, but you should also look at the total # of votes by party. The five Democratic candidates have 55 votes while the six Republican candidates have 49 votes. And there are eight others who could be either party or an Independent Party candidate. I'd put that in the too close to call categry. it's just that most of the Democratic candidate's votes are being split between Hillary or Barack so that's why they're ahead of the leading Republican vote-getters in this unscientific poll.

Sorry. I LOVE to see so many people in this unscientific poll voting for Hillary and Barack. Is that better?

4. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Interesting story in yesterday's New York Times about Fred Thompson's wife, Jeri Kehn Thompson, the 40-year-old pretty blonde former Senatorial aide who stands out from other Presidential hopeful's spouses in her uniqueness as a "trophy wife" (I'm quoting the New York Times with that description). The story has a picture of her in a form-fitting blue dress which is supposedly making the Internet rounds. It also has a picture of the couple with their young daughter, Hayden (I think she's the older of their two children)

Wouldn't it be intriguing to see a Clinton vs. Thompson election just to contract Mrs. Thomspon with Ms. Clinton?

I hope this link works for everyone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/fashion/08JERI.html

5. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinstuff @ Jul 9 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]322765[/snapback]
    Interesting story in yesterday's New York Times about Fred Thompson's wife, Jeri Kehn Thompson, the 40-year-old pretty blonde former Senatorial aide who stands out from other Presidential hopeful's spouses in her uniqueness as a "trophy wife" (I'm quoting the New York Times with that description). The story has a picture of her in a form-fitting blue dress which is supposedly making the Internet rounds. It also has a picture of the couple with their young daughter, Hayden (I think she's the older of their two children)

Wouldn't it be intriguing to see a Clinton vs. Thompson election just to contract Mrs. Thomspon with Ms. Clinton?
    I hope this link works for everyone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/fashion/08JERI.html

The dress in the first picture is uhm...well, she certainly fills it out! :lol:

I dunno. There are a million other things, that for me personally, rank way above something like this. Having a trophy wife really just isn't that big of a deal to me in the big scheme of things, though I know there are others who will balk at that photograph. Unless she's out there acting like Paris Hilton, I'll give her (and any other wife) a pass on her wardrobe. I'm guessing after a scathing article or two, we'll be seeing her in Chanel suits anyway. ;)

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bkimberly @ Jul 9 2007, 08:24 AM) [snapback]322671[/snapback]
    I will not vote for Obama simply because I don't think he has the experience to lead us. It has nothing to do with race or religion. I just don't think he can do it.

As for Hilary, I think she is too abrasive and in your face...now I am very abrasive and in your face also and don't think I would make a good president either.

That's fine, and those are good reasons not to vote for someone. It's one thing to not like a candidate because you don't think he/she is experienced enough, doesn't share your view on issues, or you plain don't like them. It's the "he maybe could possibly be a Muslim extremist" or "a woman shouldn't be President" that I find a bit sad.

7. Jersey_Girls

I love the last line of this article:

"In all likelihood we're going to have something quite different as a presidential spouse this time...whoever wins".

It's going to be an exciting election I am sure!

ETA- I was referring to the article Craig posted about Fred Thompson's wife. Not sure what I did wrong with the quotes.
    Sorry!

8. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(RRTwins @ Jul 8 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]322346[/snapback]
    I would consider myself quite an intelligent woman and I cannot stand the sight or mere mention of Hillary Clinton's name. In fact, there are many highly intelligent women on the far right side who would never vote for her or a man who gave a nice speech in a highly public forum but who is otherwise completely unqualified to be President of the United States.

YIKES! Friends, I did not mean that if you don't like Hillary you are not intelligent! No way. I have lots of intelligent friends on this board who are not voting for Hillary and I was not saying that at all.

Someone posted that maybe Hillary was getting a lot of votes on this board because there are a lot of women on this board. I was pointing out that there are a lot of intelligent women on this board who may be voting for Hillary because they are informed on her issues or agree with her policies, etc. NOT simply because she is a woman.

Sorry if anyone misunderstood this!

Lisa

9. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jul 9 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]322789[/snapback]
    The dress in the first picture is uhm...well, she certainly fills it out! :lol:

I dunno. There are a million other things, that for me personally, rank way above something like this. Having a trophy wife really just isn't that big of a deal to me in the big scheme of things, though I know there are others who will balk at that photograph. Unless she's out there acting like Paris Hilton, I'll give her (and any other wife) a pass on her wardrobe. I'm guessing after a scathing article or two, we'll be seeing her in Chanel suits anyway. ;)

I with you on this. I think the NYT is trying to grasp at anything. To me the only thing that really matters in a marriage is that they love each other.

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jul 9 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]322790[/snapback]
    That's fine, and those are good reasons not to vote for someone. It's one thing to not like a candidate because you don't think he/she is experienced enough, doesn't share your view on issues, or you plain don't like them. It's the "he maybe could possibly be a Muslim extremist" or "a woman shouldn't be President" that I find a bit sad.

1) I never said he was a Muslim extremist. Some of his past makes me nervous, and I feel as a voter I have the right to be a little nervous.

2) Above all I will not vote for him because I do not agree with any of his views. That also goes for Hillary, I could care less that she is a woman, I simply don't like her views.

Actuall I would love to see Condaliza Rice(sp) run for President. She'd have my vote!

10. Jersey_Girls

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 9 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]322876[/snapback]
    I with you on this. I think the NYT is trying to grasp at anything. To me the only thing that really matters in a marriage is that they love each other.
    1) I never said he was a Muslim extremist. Some of his past makes me nervous, and I feel as a voter I have the right to be a little nervous.

2) Above all I will not vote for him because I do not agree with any of his views. That also goes for Hillary, I could care less that she is a woman, I simply don't like her views.

Actuall I would love to see Condaliza Rice(sp) run for President. She'd have my vote!

Some of Condelezza's past has me nervous. Like misjudging that memo "Bin Laden determined to attack the U.S." one month before Bin Laden attacked the U.S. And her scare tactics while trying to sell us on the Iraq war.

As much as I would love to see a woman president, She would not have my vote.

11. Trish_e

Theres something I've been thinking about. Not sure if anyone else has really thought about it, but here goes. We had Bush Sr in office for 4 yrs, then we had Clinton in office for 8 yrs, and then we'll had Bush Jr in office for 8 yrs. If Hillary wins we'll have another Clinton.

All I keep hearing is we want/need someone or something different in office. I guess if we really want a change maybe we need to have a different last name in office. :) Like I said its just something I've been thinking about.

12. 4lilmonkeys

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Jul 9 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]323160[/snapback]
    Theres something I've been thinking about. Not sure if anyone else has really thought about it, but here goes. We had Bush Sr in office for 4 yrs, then we had Clinton in office for 8 yrs, and then we'll had Bush Jr in office for 8 yrs. If Hillary wins we'll have another Clinton.

All I keep hearing is we want/need someone or something different in office. I guess if we really want a change maybe we need to have a different last name in office. :) Like I said its just something I've been thinking about.

I'll agree to that. :)

13. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

I think what is very important is that we vote. We all need to vote in the primaries and the actual election. Nothing ticks me off more than people who do not vote (and this goes for everything) but then complain about the person that is voted in.

You don't vote, you don't get the right to b*tch!!

April

14. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I think what is very important is that we vote. We all need to vote in the primaries and the actual election. Nothing ticks me off more than people who do not vote (and this goes for everything) but then complain about the person that is voted in.

Amen!!!!

I can't stand it when people bash a president (any president) but then you go and find out they didn't vote, or they tell you they never vote. They aren't even registered to vote. What are the stats? 50% of Americans are even registered to vote? And how many of those registered do vote? Does anyone know?

15. Trish_e

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Jul 9 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]323185[/snapback]

April

I agree with 100%!
    I just got into a discussion about this with my best friend (who decided that she wasn't going to vote last Nov). Shes always complaining about our Governor, and I pretty much told her the same thing you just said. :)

16. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

Can I please b*tch because I'd love to vote but can't!? :p

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Jul 9 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]323185[/snapback]

April

17. mar66rus2

QUOTE(Monika @ Jul 9 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]323289[/snapback]
    Can I please b*tch because I'd love to vote but can't!? :p

I know there are situations where one cannot vote....so that is different. It is those who can registar and vote, but dont that tick me off.

I sometimes have to push DH to vote, but he does it. He never likes anyone running, but I don't care if he votes for himself....just do it.

Voting give us our right to choose. We voted in as a state the smoking ban. It passed and very happy for that (which I know can start a whole different debate and topic). This what ticked me off. People who were against it said it was the government trying to control things. Ummmm....no. The left it up to us, CITIZENS, on whether or not there should be a ban....that is what a vote is. The majority voted for the smoking ban so that is what it is. If the majority of people voted against it, then that is what would be.

April

18. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

So he pulled himself up by the boot straps, worked in jobs organizing labor and fighting for the poor, but gets slammed because he got a book deal? And it's a sin that his wife is well-educated and makes good money? I'd be interested to see how many HOURS Obama and his wife devote to charity and non-paying gigs.

Bravo! :clapping:

19. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Jul 9 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]323298[/snapback]
    I know there are situations where one cannot vote....so that is different. It is those who can registar and vote, but dont that tick me off.

I sometimes have to push DH to vote, but he does it. He never likes anyone running, but I don't care if he votes for himself....just do it.

Voting give us our right to choose. We voted in as a state the smoking ban. It passed and very happy for that (which I know can start a whole different debate and topic). This what ticked me off. People who were against it said it was the government trying to control things. Ummmm....no. The left it up to us, CITIZENS, on whether or not there should be a ban....that is what a vote is. The majority voted for the smoking ban so that is what it is. If the majority of people voted against it, then that is what would be.

April

I know exacly what you mean, i was just being silly. :hug99:

20. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't read this thread in a while so this may be long.

You can also say a big thank you to your friendly environmentalists and OPEC for the increase in gas prices. We can't drill off of the coast of Florida and we can't tap our own natural rescources because we might hurt some sort of rabid bunny rabbit that lives in a hole in the ground.
    Oh yeah... a hurricane comes thru and oil spills everywhere and it's just the rabid bunnies that have to worry? :nea:

yet any time anyone proposes a new plant, everyone gets their panties in a wad and worries about radiation (which SO totally unecessary it's ridiculous
    Of course it's ridiculous. Everyone knows if you live close by and the thing explodes you and your children are perfectly safe. :nea:
    Obama was raised by his white mother and grandparents. His mother was married to an Indonesian for a short time during his childhood. His father had no hand in raising him. I fail to see any extremism in the mother, grandparents or stepfather.
    Thank you for pointing this out Cathy
    Since we are now multi-ethnic country with diverse religions and beliefs, how in the world are you going to implement something like that? What do you mean when you say, "if you don't believe in the things Americans believe in?" Americans believe all sorts of different things. There are Muslim Americans, Christian Americans, Atheist Americans, etc... Part of our democratic process is to vote for the person we believe most closely represents us, and if they don't win, we just wait another four years and try again.. There are many presidents that have not believed what I believe, and they are as American as apple pie.
    :clapping:
    To my understanding he wants to go back to the gold standard, where a dollar really means a dollar (don't print money unless you have it)
    I don't see anything wrong with this.

Quite a few years back I didn't like any of my choices. I didn't want any of them in office so I didn't vote. I still b*tched. And if it ever comes around again where I don't want any of my choices in office I won't vote again. I won't vote for someone I don't believe in. I won't vote for the "lesser of the 2(or 3) evils. And when the person who gets voted in screws everything up... I'll b*tch.

21. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Jul 9 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]323362[/snapback]
    And when the person who gets voted in screws everything up... I'll b*tch.

:laughing:

22. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Jul 9 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]323362[/snapback]
    Quite a few years back I didn't like any of my choices. I didn't want any of them in office so I didn't vote. I still b*tched. And if it ever comes around again where I don't want any of my choices in office I won't vote again. I won't vote for someone I don't believe in. I won't vote for the "lesser of the 2(or 3) evils. And when the person who gets voted in screws everything up... I'll b*tch.

Donita, I see your point that if you don't like any of those running, but what I don't get is why you wouldn't still exercise your right to vote and write in a candidate? At least then you wouldn't just throw away this right that has been given to us. I would rather do that then not vote at all, to me this is a right that means a lot because so many in other countries don't have this right.. Then you can still *****! :p

ETC: right to write! All this talk of left and right has me confused on what to write!

23. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

It has taken me a while to catch up in this thread...

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jul 8 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]321864[/snapback]
    Some of the things I am reading on here are downright ugly. FWIW, I went to a Southern Baptist school when I was a child and guess what? I am NOT a Southern Baptist and the vast majority of my beliefs are not in line with what most SB's believe.

Ditto...I grew up in a very racist state (Alabama) and I am not a racist (nor a Southern Baptist). The idea that Obama might switch to his secret Muslim ways just seems ridiculoius to me!!! But that is the beauty of our democratic nation, we all have the right to vote for who we think is the best canidate. And to be honest, I have been so wrapped up in the first year of my twins life that I haven't really even paid attention to the upcoming election...I guess I need to do some research before I decide.

24. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Donita, I see your point that if you don't like any of those running, but what I don't get is why you wouldn't still exercise your right to vote and write in a candidate? At least then you wouldn't just throw away this right that has been given to us. I would rather do that then not vote at all, to me this is a right that means a lot because so many in other countries don't have this right.. Then you can still *****!

I read somewhere that Mikey Mouse gets votes every presidential election. :rofl:

25. mar66rus2

Bingo....vote for yourself if you have to!!! You still vote no matter what.

My SIL voted for herself during the cities mayor race b/c both canadites were not good. We seriously were in a lose/lose situation for mayor. So she voted for herself. Still voted though she did not like either canidate.

April

26. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

You know, thats a good idea, I hadn't really thought about it. Shows how much I think, ;)

27. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Now that Condi Rice has officially entered this discussion, I should probably offer my thoughts that I don't like her as I think somewhere along the lines she went from an independent, bright diplomat to someone who will say or do whatever the White House asks of her. Unfortunately I think we took a major step backwards when we went from Colin Powell to Condi Rice (and Powell is someone who I could easily vote for President).

One interesting thing about Rice (in case she starts gearing up for a 2012 race?) is that she's a huge sports fan, particularly an NFL fan. I read in one magazine that she can name the starting quarterback on every winning team in Super Bowl history and that she used to date NFL All-Pro wide receivers Rick Upchurch and Gene Washington.

And along that theme of politics and sports, CNN's political ticker ran a brief that mentioned Rudy Giuliani (who is a huge baseball and New York Yankees fan) boned up on his NASCAR knowledge by reading a book that had a theme of a female's guide to NASCAR. He was at the NASCAR race this past Saturday and passed up on the NASCAR for Dummies book, choosing instead to read another basic guide to the racing world so he would know what he was in for.

28. becky5

becky5 Guest

I believe Rice was at the PGA tournament this weekend.

29. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting blog entry my husband found -- it might help explain some of the Federal Reserve stuff:

Some Americans who admire Ron Paul for his proven integrity and demonstrated commitment to the principles of peace and liberty have hesitated to support him fully, out of concern that his campaign platform might be too radical to sell to the majority. Ron Paul's talk of eliminating the income tax (and the IRS) and abolishing the Federal Reserve seem well beyond the mainstream to some, even though Ron Paul himself speaks about moving gradually in that direction. His initial steps would be to balance the budget with the savings from a non-interventionist foreign policy, and to encourage sound-money policies from the Fed by allowing free-market competition.

But are Ron Paul's ideas of eliminating the income tax and the Federal Reserve really that radical? We have had both for less than a century, and America prospered without them. In a recent interview on Fox News, the interviewer warned Dr. Paul that we couldn't afford to pay our Congressmen, or pay for the impressive structure they work in without income taxes. Ron Paul didn't miss the opportunity to remind him that the Capitol building was constructed without a single dollar from the income tax, long before America was burdened with it!

The federal budget for FY2006 shows that individual income tax receipts amounted to 1.004 trillion dollars, or less than 38% of the $2.655 trillion in spending that year. Cutting the budget by 38% may still seem unrealistic, until you realize that spending would only have to be cut to FY1998 levels, $1.653 trillion, to achieve that. Was the federal government too small and too austere in 1998? Put another way, the individual income tax could have ALREADY been eliminated, if Congress had only held federal spending constant for nine years, with no spending cuts at all. Inflation would have required some downward adjustments in budgeting, of course, but nothing more drastic than what private companies are faced with all the time.

A brief glance at American history shows that two of our most popular presidents carried out reforms at least as radical as those contemplated by Ron Paul. Thomas Jefferson was narrowly elected in 1800 in a political climate much like our own, with patriots concerned about the rapid expansion of federal power, higher taxes, and the Alien and Sedition Acts infringing on civil liberties. Jefferson restored the Bill of Rights and took his budget ax to the burgeoning federal monstrosity (still minuscule by today's standards), lopping off a full FIFTY PERCENT of the federal budget, enough to eliminate all internal taxation. How did the American people react to such a radical move? He was reelected in 1804 by a landslide, earning 92% of the Electoral vote, and even gloated a little, in his second inaugural address:

At home, fellow citizens, you best know whether we have done well or ill. The suppression of unnecessary offices, of useless establishments and expenses, enabled us to discontinue our internal taxes. These covering our land with officers, and opening our doors to their intrusions, had already begun that process of domiciliary vexation which, once entered, is scarcely to be restrained from reaching successively every article of produce and property. If among these taxes some minor ones fell which had not been inconvenient, it was because their amount would not have paid the officers who collected them, and because, if they had any merit, the state authorities might adopt them, instead of others less approved.

What about Ron Paul's other "radical" idea -- abolishing the Federal Reserve system? A direct political parallel exists for that as well in the annals of American history -- Andrew Jackson's efforts to abolish the Second Bank of the United States. Jackson was initially elected in 1828 (after placing first in the popular and Electoral votes in a four-way race in 1824, but losing to John Quincy Adams in a House vote), and campaigned tirelessly for the next four years against the Bank. In 1832 he finally succeeded, vetoing a bill to renew the Bank's charter, and withdrawing all U.S. funds by the following year. How did the American people react to such a radical move? He was reelected in 1832 by a landslide, earning 76% of the Electoral vote. He went on to pay off the ENTIRE national debt, the last American president to do so.

Sometimes radical ideas prove to be a lot more popular than their timid opponents would have us believe. Working to abolish the income tax and the Federal Reserve, and restoring American civil liberties, would put Ron Paul in excellent company and ensure his historical legacy.

30. Corkndeb

Corkndeb Well-Known Member

RON PAUL.

31. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Corkndeb @ Jul 10 2007, 02:50 AM) [snapback]323885[/snapback]
    RON PAUL.

'nuf said :D

32. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

What would be the point? Sorry, but to me that is a waste of my time and gas to get there.

33. 4lilmonkeys

Donita...
    Isn't the whole point of voting to let your voice be heard, even if you don't like what's presented to you? It's sort of like saying "I don't like carrots OR potatoes" and then being mad when you get stuck with one of them. If more people voted and actually voiced their opinion, rather than pout and stay home because they don't like what's on the menu, maybe what YOU wanted would happen.

And by the way, as a side note. Name the last time an nuclear plant blew up...after Chernobyl and in the US. You do know you live within 90 miles of one, right? Comanche Peak actually has a great Visitors Center. If you went, my mom would be more than happy to give you a tour and tell you what exactly her department is doing in order to continue their stellar safety record as well as what they're doing to help the environment. She works in Radiation Protection. ;)

(I'm not being snotty...I promise, I'm mostly giving you a hard time :p)

34. Elizabeth H

Elizabeth H Well-Known Member

I voted other since I'm not too sure on some of the republicans. I'm a conservative replublican in case you were wondering. Really for those of you who are replublicans or just on the fence about who to vote for you should really look at Newt Gingrich. He is a conservative republican and I really like his views. Here is his website for more information. http://www.draftnewt.org/on_the_issues/index.php He isn't officially running. He will decide by late September. He thinks it's premature to run for president two years out like some of the canidates have done. My big hot button issues, of course, are the war since my DH is military and has served in the Iraq war. I want someone who will continue to keep this great country strong unlike Hilary Clinton. I assume she will treat the military like a dirty diaper just like her husband did.

Further more I really hope everyone chooses to research their candidates and not vote based on their gender or race. Choosing to remain ignorant on issues or ignoring them completely is irresponsible where voting is concerned.

Elizabeth

35. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole point of voting to let your voice be heard, even if you don't like what's presented to you?
    That's exactly what I'm doing. My voice is being heard. I let as many people as I can hear that I don't like any of them and I'm not voting. :blbl: (not speaking about this election though, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if he were the only Dem. running) Sorry, I can just think of more productive things to do than vote for myself. And if I have some extra gas I think I'll take my kids to the park.

And by the way, as a side note. Name the last time an nuclear plant blew up
    Who cares. Who wants to volunteer to live down the street from the next one to blow. I'd say that solar and wind energies are cleaner and less volatile. Nuclear isn't so great on the environment when it does blow/leak. At least when the wind blows we just end up with bad hair. And I don't actually live in Ft. Worth.. closer to Waco. I could probably get to College Station faster than I could get to Comanche Peak. And in all honesty whenever we do have to go over that way I'm a bit nervous.

(I'm not being snotty...I promise, I'm mostly giving you a hard time )
    As much as I dish it, I've gotten quite used to eating it ;)