If you have lottery-based schools in your area ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SC_Amy, Apr 21, 2013.

1. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

do you know if one multiple getting in means the other multiple(s) get in at the same time?

I'd heard that at the magnet school I'm hoping my boys get into (for K-5), that if one of your kids gets in, their siblings are guaranteed a spot.

However.

One of the moms there told me today that that's not the case for multiples. She said there was a set of twins in her DD's class where one twin got in and that just meant that his twin brother was at the top of the list to get in the following year (basically the same rule they follow if it's a younger sibling). :/ Which sounds to me like it's a crappy option for twins b/c the odds of both twins getting drawn in the lottery are probably low and while not impossible, it definitely seems like a PITA to have two kids in the same grade at two different schools, especially since at least for the magnet school there's no bus. Just curious if it's this way elsewhere. (And I'd also want to get clarification to make sure she's right.)

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I tried to get my kids in a charter school that did a lottery when they started K. They didn't get in. Honestly I can't remember. I remember that if one kid got in, siblings were given a spot but I seem to remember it being different for siblings in the same grade.

I got this off that particular schools website:

"All applications from each family will be placed into one envelope and sealed. All envelopes will be placed into a bin. Envelopes will be randomly drawn and numbered by the order in which they were drawn. The process will continue until all envelopes have been drawn and numbered.

Spaces will be offered to families in the order of names drawn. Starting with family number one, if there is a space available in the grade level(s) needed for that/those child/children, they will be placed accordingly. Once a family name is drawn and there is space available for at least one child, the entire family is deemed to have been admitted to CPCS. If there are no available slot(s) in the grade level needed, the student(s) will be placed either on the General Waiting List or the Sibling Waiting List."

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got my girls into a lottery magnet for both pre-k and now k-5. When I called for info I was told that one getting in does not guarantee the other a spot. But when I filled out the applications on the first page was a spot for the twins name. Both girls got in both years.

However, once your name is drawn you still have to pass the test to be in. If one passed the test and one failed I wouldn't have sent either one.

4. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

how it happened for us is we got 2 # for the lottery... so when one twins # came up, before they go on to pick another random # sibling gets filled in... so we had better odds on getting in... and we got in :banana:

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is how ours does it, too, except we didn't get in for any of the 3 schools I tried for prek.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The charter schools are tough to get into in our area. But, they all do have a sibling preference policy. So if one twin was selected and the other one wasn't, the other one is automatically in.
    We did not get in for any of the charters we applied to.