If you use generic/store brand formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by *Sully*, Jun 20, 2008.

1. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I've been pumping for the twins for almost 8 months now and supplementing with formula. We started with Enfamil Lipil and stayed on it with no problems. I am slowly weaning from the pump and I'm a bit concerned about the added expense of formula once my milk dries up.

So if you use generic or store brand formula, how did you decide which one to use? Did you try different brands to see if they liked it ok? Did they reject any of it? What were they on first (name brand) before you made the switch?

Thanks!

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We started out on Enfamil Lipil as a supplement to my pumping. At 2 months we had gone completely to the formula. I was at Walmart and just started looking at the Parent's Choice. (It's says comparable to the Enfamil on the can.) It has all the exact ingredients and it's half the cost. (A little less than half here- Enfamil is $25.97 and the Parent's Choice is $11.88 for the same size can.) The cost is what did it.
    We never had any issue with the switch. We never tried any other generic brands since they've done just fine on Parent's Choice.

We've saved so much money!

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Generic brands are under strict guidelines by the FDA to be exactly the same as name brands. We used the Enfamil Lipil at first but switched to Target brand and had no issues. It's around the same price as the Parent's Choice and there's not much difference between those two that we can tell. The only difference between Enfamil and generic is the texture.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

We ended up on Parent's Choice(WalMart) brand formula, because the savings were so great! All formula has to meet certain standards by the FDA. We never had any problems with making the switch, and the babies loved it.

5. *Sully*

QUOTE(4lilmonkeys @ Jun 20 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]836631[/snapback]
    Generic brands are under strict guidelines by the FDA to be exactly the same as name brands. We used the Enfamil Lipil at first but switched to Target brand and had no issues. It's around the same price as the Parent's Choice and there's not much difference between those two that we can tell. The only difference between Enfamil and generic is the texture.

when you say texture, do you mean before it is mixed? or after?

6. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

Going generic was the best thing we did. We have saved soooo much money. Depending on where we are is where we buy it. We usually get it from Walmart or Kroger, but will get it at Target too. I think all 3 are same...the all have the same scoop in it and the powder is the same color. My girls never once had an issue with it, and my sister just started using generic also.

April

7. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(*Sully* @ Jun 20 2008, 08:30 AM) [snapback]836696[/snapback]
    when you say texture, do you mean before it is mixed? or after?

Sorry I know you didn't ask this to me, but I know what she is talking about. You will see when you compare the two formulas. Enfimil is as smooth as sand and Parent's Choice is this powder. The only different is you may have to shake the bottle a bit more with Parents choice to get it all mixed in.

8. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bday111707 @ Jun 20 2008, 10:46 AM) [snapback]836737[/snapback]
    Sorry I know you didn't ask this to me, but I know what she is talking about. You will see when you compare the two formulas. Enfimil is as smooth as sand and Parent's Choice is this powder. The only different is you may have to shake the bottle a bit more with Parents choice to get it all mixed in.

Yep, that's what I meant. :) It won't make a difference once you've got it mixed.

9. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

We started with Enfamil Lipil also, and we switched to the Sam's brand. It is the same exact ingredients and our doctor told us that pretty much any of the generics would be fine. It didn't even phase our twins.
    Now Enfamil sent us a bunch of the concentrated liquid formula that you still mix with water. And that did not go well at all. Both babies seemed to get bad stomach aches and gas with it. And they couldn't poop. We stopped that and a day later they were back to normal. So I would advise against that or any of the concentrated liquid.

QUOTE(*Sully* @ Jun 20 2008, 08:40 AM) [snapback]836511[/snapback]
    I've been pumping for the twins for almost 8 months now and supplementing with formula. We started with Enfamil Lipil and stayed on it with no problems. I am slowly weaning from the pump and I'm a bit concerned about the added expense of formula once my milk dries up.

So if you use generic or store brand formula, how did you decide which one to use? Did you try different brands to see if they liked it ok? Did they reject any of it? What were they on first (name brand) before you made the switch?

Thanks!

10. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

We used the Walmart and Target brands interchangably. They are made by the same company.

If you call this number 1x per month and tell them you would like a formula coupon they will send you 1. I think if you ask for Walmart it is a $3 one and Target it is a $2 one. Also if you tell them you have twins they will have you mail them proof and they will send you 2 per month.

1-800-410-9629

If your friends and family all call 1x per month they can get you 1 as well. In the end you can save a bundle.

With the coupon we were paying less than $10 for a huge can.

11. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(*Sully* @ Jun 20 2008, 09:40 AM) [snapback]836511[/snapback]
    Thanks!

They were on EBM for six months. However, the first four days they were on Enfamil. I exclusively pumped, so I gave them forumula and pumped colostrum until my milk came in. At six months we switched them to Target brand. We chose this b/c we shop at Target regularly and it seemed like their brand had the same ingredients as Enfamil. My have not had any reactions to the milk-based formula we give.

12. *Sully*

You ladies ROCK! :D I will be buying generic tonight! Wish us luck!

13. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

we started out with enfamil lipel and then switched to the costco brand because we read that it has the exact same ingredients as the enfamil lipel and it is SOOOO much cheaper! We get two cans for $19.99.

14. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I just decided to try the Costco brand after the pedi said we could stop Neosure. It was cheaper and I'm a Costco fan.