If your babies' room(s) are on a different level than the "main" floor

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Background: We've been sleeping in the living room ever since I was put on bedrest at 19 weeks because I couldn't do stairs. Since the bed was out, DH started remodeling the bedroom. We just got it to a point where it is livable, so the bed went back yesterday (woo hoo!) and the girls were moved into their room too. The bedrooms are on the second floor. No bathroom or anything up there, just bedrooms. So we sleep up there and then come downstairs for the day. I have a Pack N Play on the main level for naps and diaper changes.

For those who live in this sort of situation, do you keep some changes of clothes downstairs too for diaper mishaps or massive spit up issues or do you keep everything in the babies' room and go get what you need.

2. Anne2571

Anne2571 Well-Known Member

Our place is 3 stories and our nursery is on the 3rd floor. We definitely keep everything we need on the 2nd floor as well (this is our "main floor" as it's our living/dining area and kitchen). We have a PNP on the second floor as well as two little wicker stands with drawers. In the drawers we keep diapers, clothes, bibs, burp clothes, etc. Whenever we change the girls we use the changing pad on the PNP. This set up works great for us. Here are the wicker stands I use...

http://www.worldmarket.com/Madras-3Drawer-...10000/index.pro

3. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Up until about 10 months or so, we kept a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, burp cloths, hair accessories, and bibs on a shelf in our closet by the living room. I could not imagine having to make 20 thousand trips upstairs everyday (although I could have probably used the exercise). We also had a packnplay set up downstairs for changes but after a while I just found it easier to just change them on the floor but kept the packnplay around as storage or if I needed to put them down for a few minutes.

4. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Up until 4 mo or so I kept clothes, diapers, wipes, burp clothes, blanket, on the main floor. Now I just have a couple of diaper and a wipe case. But I had a whole station for when they were little and used them often. i have a basket wtih cloth lining that has sections to keep everything organized, it is great.

5. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

Their big nice bedroom (used to be my big nice bedroom but I gave it to them) is really just used for sleeping. The action happens on the main floor and that's where all their clothes, etc, are. It's so much easier. I don't know what it would be like with one but not having to cart both up the stairs all the time is great. My sister has twins too and she didn't start using her upstairs for "the action" until they could navigate the stairs themselves - around 3.

6. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I keep only diaper-changing supplies on the main floor -- we have a full changing table on this level. So, I don't run upstairs for every diaper change.

But if I need a clothing change, I do go upstairs to get clothes from their room. They nap in their cribs in the nursery twice a day, so we go up and down anyway....

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Apr 23 2008, 05:24 PM) [snapback]735924[/snapback]
    Background: We've been sleeping in the living room ever since I was put on bedrest at 19 weeks because I couldn't do stairs. Since the bed was out, DH started remodeling the bedroom. We just got it to a point where it is livable, so the bed went back yesterday (woo hoo!) and the girls were moved into their room too. The bedrooms are on the second floor. No bathroom or anything up there, just bedrooms. So we sleep up there and then come downstairs for the day. I have a Pack N Play on the main level for naps and diaper changes.

For those who live in this sort of situation, do you keep some changes of clothes downstairs too for diaper mishaps or massive spit up issues or do you keep everything in the babies' room and go get what you need.

We keep diapers and wipes on all three floors (basement family room, first floor, and second floor), but we only keep clothes in the nursery. I had a bunch downstairs, but I got disorganized and confused about what I had and decided it was easier to keep everything in the nursery.

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I kept clothes, diapers, and everything else I needed in the living room because that made changes so much faster and easier. I didn't even have two floors, I just didn't want to carry two babies all the way down the hall many times a day.

9. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I set up a second changing station on the counter in our laundry room. so I keep diapers, wipes, burp clothes, bulb syringe, ointment, etc. in there. I got an extra changing pad, and I have all the supplies in one small basket on the counter. I don't specifically keep changes of clothes there - but it's the laundry room, so there's almost always a pile of clean laundry waiting to be folded, and I can mine the pile for something to put on if I need it. The first few months it also came in handy that there was usually a clean shirt for me in that pile - because I would get spit up all over and need to change my shirt a few times a day.

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I have our pnp in the "dining room" (we have no dining furniture, so it's the playroom now) and use the top shelf of their toy storage to keep wipes, washclothes and a few extra onesies. When they were smaller (and going through a lot more outfits) I kept onesies, pants and socks downstairs. I also had a few pj's downstairs. Now their toys are slowing taking over.

This is what we use:
    http://www.target.com/Storage-Shelf-Bins-P...rage&page=1