If your babies share a room...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nikifm, Nov 22, 2006.

1. nikifm

nikifm Member

do they wake each other up? Can you tell me about your sleeping situation? My babes are 5 months old and still sleeping in a crib in our room or in bed with us. They are getting so big though that my dh and I have no room in our bed! Also, they still wake up 2-3 times a night (each! and at different times!) so I don't really sleep much. Our ped suggested that we separate them in different cribs and different rooms, but he said expect that the baby that is in our room will wake up more.

Sooo... Do I keep them in the same room in their own cribs or do I separate their rooms? How do I decide which baby will sleep where? BTW, we have a small two bedroom.

Thanks fo any help/advice,
    Niki

2. nikifm

nikifm Member

do they wake each other up? Can you tell me about your sleeping situation? My babes are 5 months old and still sleeping in a crib in our room or in bed with us. They are getting so big though that my dh and I have no room in our bed! Also, they still wake up 2-3 times a night (each! and at different times!) so I don't really sleep much. Our ped suggested that we separate them in different cribs and different rooms, but he said expect that the baby that is in our room will wake up more.

Sooo... Do I keep them in the same room in their own cribs or do I separate their rooms? How do I decide which baby will sleep where? BTW, we have a small two bedroom.

Thanks fo any help/advice,
    Niki

3. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

Our girls shared a twin bassinet in our room until they outgrew it then we moved them into the same room, but in separate cribs. They have done fine. They really don't seem to bother each other. One's crying does not seem to wake the other, most of the time. If they are really asleep, nothing seems to bother them [​IMG].

4. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

My girls shared a room and a crib until they were about three months. Once they were bigger and moving a little bit we kept them in the same room but put them in different cribs. They seem to nap better in separate rooms, but at night if one happens to wake up the other one usually sleeps right through the crying. Granted, they both sleep through the night 99% of the time without making any noise. I think if you let them get used to sleeping in the same room together they'd get used to each other's noises and would probably sleep just fine.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We put ours in their own cribs in the same room. They got used to eachother's cries very quickly and slept right through the other making a fuss. I have heard that both babies and parents tend to wake more when the baby(s) are sleeping in the parent's room b/c you hear eachother's little noises all the time and react.

6. TrickiWoo

TrickiWoo Well-Known Member

Ours are in the same room in different cribs. They were sharing a crib up until about a week ago. We never had them in our room, they were in the crib from the start. I just slept in their room the first few nights.
    I knew I would separate them but wanted to do it while they were young enough not to really notice. I think they're used to each other's cries and sleep sounds, but when DD really gets going I take her out to the living room to change and feed her so she doesn't wake her brother. She can get really really loud. Usually he doesn't notice but if he's close to waking then she can disturb him. On the other hand, you can drive a truck through the room when DD is asleep and you wouldn't wake her. She only wakes up if she's hungry, then watch out!

7. bnb3

bnb3 Well-Known Member

Ava and Mia have shared a room since they were born, it has gone great so far. They can be seperated when they choose to be. I plan to do the same for Lola and Bella as well.

8. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

I would get them in separate cribs and in their own room. Put the cribs as far apart as possible, and then get a sound machine of some sort to run (or a fan). Ours started sleeping through the night (mostly) the moment we separated them from the same crib. I was reluctant to do so at first, but I couldn't argue with the results. I was amazed how one would sleep while the other baby one crib over (and the cribs were end to end) would just snooze away. I did find that if I placed them head to head but in separate cribs, they still woke each other. If I placed them foot to foot, they did fine.

9. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

Another thing about having baby in your room... we did it with our first and it was so hard to get her out of our bed... and to get her to go to sleep on her own. She didn't do that until age 2. With the twins, we never had them in our room except sometimes when they wake and are hard to settle. It's made a world of difference. When a baby is in the room with you, you can react too fast to the slightest cry. Then they never learn any self-soothing. I read a lot about this, and it is normal for even adults to rustle between sleep cycles. If you respond every time and immediately, they don't do what adults have learned to do... which is to turn over and go right back to sleep seemlessly.

When the baby is in another room, it takes longer to respond... and in that time, you'll be surprised how often they soothe themselves right back to sleep before you even get in there. There's been a few times when I hear a really loud cry, and then I get in there and I'm not even sure which twin cried!! Heheh.

10. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

We separated them crib wise at about4 or 5 months old. We moved them to their own room at 8 months, and it made a WORLD of difference. I agree with the PP, they will learn to self soothe in their own room much more so than in your room where you will jump every time they sigh. I used to do that and would wake up several times a night when I shouldn't have. It was a really hard decision for me to take them out of my room, but I am glad that I did it, now. We sleep so much better, all 4 of us! Kris and I used to let the girls sleep in the bed with us some, too, until Madison rolled out of bed one night and got a nasty bump...it scared me so bad!!! You will be surprised how fast they will adjust!

11. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

Our boys have always been in their own cribs in the same room for naps and bedtime. They adjusted to each other's cries and neither wakes when the other is crying or awake now. They do very well sleeping through the night unless they have a cold so it just worked out for us. Good luck!!! It may take a week or so for you all to get used to it and we did have to let them cry it out a bit a couple of nights but now it's wonderful [​IMG] Take care!
    Jen

12. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

Mine shared a Moses basket the first week in our room. Then HH (hot hubby) decided that we weren't getting any sleep and they needed to go in their own room. They then shared a crib until about two months old. After that Andrew wiggled too much and would wake Zoe up. They still share a room and until they were able to stand in their cribs they didn't wake each other up. Now they are bigger and louder and do wake each other up in the morning but rarely at night. Good luck.

13. minnieinafrica

minnieinafrica Well-Known Member

Niki,
    At nap time, mine tend to wake each other up. I just recently started experimenting with a pack n play in our room for naps for one of them. At night, Mia, like your two, wakes up 3 times a night. Jacob, just one time, sometimes two. She rarely wakes him, except when she has been crying excessively. But even just a little crying doesn't wake him. Will you update us once you make your decision and give it a try? I was a bit relieved to hear that your two still wake up more than once a night. I have been concerned about Mia's night wakings. Let us know if moving them makes a difference.

Thanks and good luck!
    Melissa

14. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

Mine are in the same room, separate cribs (except sometimes for naps). Usually one crying doesn't wake the other, but sometimes it does. Mine also are up 3 times a night at different times.

15. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

I recommend same room, seperate cribs. We had sleep issues fora while as one girl would wake the other. My pedi said to seperate them but since I want them to share a room for life (or until they move out) I kept them together. I am SO GLAD I DID. They sleep through each others crying for the most part...and it so so wonderful to walk into their roomand see them standin up, looking at each other, and talking until I get them up! They love to be together!

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are in same room, separate cribs. For the first few months they slept in the dining room, in some combination of PNP, bouncy seat, and swing. We moved them to their cribs around 3-4 months and it went fine. At first they kept each other awake a little bit just at bedtime, but only for a week or so. Now they almost seem to fall asleep better if they're both in there -- if we put one baby down much earlier for some reason, she will often fuss until her sister is there and then they both go to sleep.

Amy still wakes up once a night, but it hasn't woken Sarah since she was 4 months old. Every once in a while if Amy is really screaming, it will wake Sarah but she just goes back to sleep. And sometimes we go in there to check on them and one or both of them are actually awake, but not crying -- just sitting there! I figure that's a sign that they are pretty good at self-soothing.

For naps we put them in separate rooms, though. In the same room, rhey would take much longer to settle down to sleep and would both be up whenever the first one (nearly always Amy) woke. Sarah gets much more sleep this way.

17. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by MLH:
    We put ours in their own cribs in the same room. They got used to eachother's cries very quickly and slept right through the other making a fuss. I have heard that both babies and parents tend to wake more when the baby(s) are sleeping in the parent's room b/c you hear eachother's little noises all the time and react.

I agree with Melissa, mine are in two cribs in the same room and they sleep through each other's cries when they wake. They sleep much better when they are in separate cribs. I turn my monitor way down and get much better sleep too.

18. NWtwinmomma

NWtwinmomma Member

Hi Niki!!!!!!

I hope you get some more sleep soon.