if your twins share a room...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ddancerd1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

where are the cribs? are they next to each other, across the room from each other?

i ask because my girls' cribs are adjacent to one another and touching corners. they like it this way, cuz they can touch each other, toss over lovies, etc. but it seems they're starting to keep each other up more because of this. i don't want to move them, but i'm wondering if it'll help if i move them across the room from each other...?

2. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 2 are a year apart, not twins, but their cribs were always opposite each other, nver touching.

3. ashes200264

ashes200264 Well-Known Member

I have mine across the room from each other so that when they are up they can still see eachother but they less likely to keep eachother up at bed time. Good luck!

4. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

My twins share a room and their cribs are across from each other with the glider between them. They can still talk and see each other, but no tossing of toys into the others crib, just onto the floor between them.

When we lived at our other place they were still small and not tossing things yet, but they were end to end with their cribs. Once they could start grabbing into the others crib we moved them long wise and with some space between them. They don't mind it at all. They are 15 months old.

5. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

My cots were on either side of the room. I liked it this way as they couldnt fight with each other (which they did alot!!) or pull over the cots ( i swear my children have super baby strength!) . Also meant that if one was still sleeping the other couldnt wake them up x

6. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We had ours across the back wall of their room touching end to end. Recently we turned one sideways so they don't touch. We thought them being together like that would encourage climbing. So far we are happy with the change.

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Mine are still in the same crib. :lol: So there everywhere all over each other. I know it really doesn't apply, just thought I'd share. ;)

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

When you walk in the room, DS crib is in the FRONT LEFT corner of their room. DD crib is in the BACK RIGHT corner of their room. So theres a whole room between them. There cribs are on opposite side as far apart as I could get em :)

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We put ours as far away as possible. It's a small room, but they're on opposite sides. At first it was because I was paranoid about them waking each other up, but that's never been a problem. I do think it also helps with the partying, though. They can (and do) certainly talk a lot, but at least they can't pass/throw things back and forth.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, across the room from each other. The room has a lot more open space when they were up against one wall but they played too much with the curtains that I had to move them away from the window. It's a really tiny room too.

11. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Just a thought here - my daughter had the twins cribs end to end and they were comforted by being able to touch and talk while going down for naps and the night. She recently went to twin beds with railings and they are placed on each side of the room. The go down each night in their own beds. When I come over the following morning to keep them, during the night one or the other has gone to his brother's bed. Sometimes I will find them in G's bed and other times I will find them both in M's bed. I'm sure it keeps them up a little longer being in the room together, but the bond is there and clearly they want to be together. Separate them as much as you like, but the boys will get up in the night and go to their brother.

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

We started out touching, but then moved to opposite sides of the room. They are in beds now, so I never know where I will find them!

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

When mine were in cribs they were on separate walls. I couldn't imagine having them close enough where they could have touched each other or done other things, they would have had too much fun. Having them on opposite walls worked well because they still talked with one another, but couldn't aggravate--wait a minute, back up, they still screamed at each other but they couldn't touch each other :rolleyes:

14. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

our two cribs are across the room from each other.

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Ours our in an "L" shape. I have pondered separating them across the room to branch out a bit, but I just cant do it. They run from end to end in the crib playing with each other and handing things to each other. I think I will wait until they are in beds to separate them more.

16. ckkillman

ckkillman Well-Known Member

Mine are in an L shape in a corner. It's about the only place that we can have 2 cribs. I wanted them to be close. I think mine would be upset if I moved them apart, since they like to play in the morning and when they wake up from naps. They don't play or fight much with each other when it is time to sleep.

17. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

mine are on opposite walls, so they are across from each other. they've been this way since they stopped sharing a crib, though, so they're used to it

18. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Ours are across the room from each other. We used to keep the changing table in between, until they were 14 months old and Ry climbed out, used the changing table as a little bridge, and ended up in Matthew's crib.

19. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At my house the girls cribs are across the room from each other; at my mom's house they are adjacent. Across the room works so much better! At my mom's they play and will steal each other's pacis and take forever to fall asleep! Over here they play "peek-a-boo" from across the room and chat but that's it!

20. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

Mine are catty corner to each other on opposite sides of the room. We had them across from each other but they would move the cribs and climb in each other's cribs.

21. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

My twins cribs are end to end along one wall in the room. That way,they can talk to each other, see each other and hold hands through the bars. They have shared a crib/bed/room since the begining, and I think Tyler likes going to sleep to the sound of his sister crying LOL!

22. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

the boys cribs are on either side of our bed;). .... we've just bought a new house and we are fixing it up. it's good to get ideas about how we'll set things up when the boys get their own room! (of course, they'll probably still end up w/their cribs in our room. mommy and daddy are much bigger babies than the boys are!).

~~jl

23. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

The girl's cribs are end to end with about 10 inches separating them. Now that they are interacting more with each other, they are staying up later and getting up earlier laughing and giggling. I am debating separating them. :(

24. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

They are across the room from each other... I know that if they were next to each other they would try climbing over or throwing items over to the other bed etc... It works for us...

25. Lloydipops

Lloydipops New Member

Mine were side by side in cots until they started to climb, so then had them at either sides of the room. Now they are in beds in an l-shape as that is the only way we can fit them into the room. Toys are everywhere!

26. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

In our room they are right next to each other, they like to stand up and kiss each other in the morning and they always sleep in the corner right next to each other. We haven't had any issues with them keeping each other up since we moved to one nap (we did have issues with that on the old 2 nap schedule) so we have no plans on rearranging the room. In fact when we travelled over Christmas we had their pnp's across the room from each other and they cried and cried, the next morning we rearragned them to be next to each other and they slept SO much better the rest of the trip.

27. EmmaKay

EmmaKay Well-Known Member

Their cribs used to be right next to each other...until about 14 months when they learned to jump headfirst back and forth....which they then spent all of naptime practicing. So, we then separated them by about a foot. Which worked fine until I discovered that they were grabbing each others' hands to pull the cribs back together (points for twin teamwork :rolleyes: ) so they could jump back and forth again. Now, they're a bit more than a foot apart--to far to touch--which seems to work fine. As long as they can see each other they seem to be happy.

28. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

My boys are across the room for each other. But it's a small room so that's only about 5 feet apart. I like it this way and because it's such a small room, it's really the only possible configuration anyway.

29. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

Ours are sort of L shaped with a gap of about 2 feet between them. All of their pacifiers and such get thrown in between the two cribs. Heh.

30. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

Mine are on opposite walls, with the changing table in the middle. They look at each other and talk and laugh, but they don't bother each other before they go to sleep.

31. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I had a dresser in between the 2 crib. My son learned to climb out of his crib and walk over on the dresser and jump into his sister's crib. So, I took away the dresser and move it to the opposite wall. But I also moved the crib sideway so this way he can only climb out on 1 side of his crib. That isn't working too well either because he walk over and then climb into his sister's crib. We are going to be separating them as soon as we get some stuff out of the basement so we can move the furniture from the 3rd room into the basement. Once we get that going.....we'll put him into the big bed.

32. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Ours are opposite of each other. They can not touch. However, it doesn't matter since my little Ben can climb out of his crib and does whenever he wants <_<

33. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NINI H @ Jan 30 2009, 01:56 AM) [snapback]1167505[/snapback]
    Mine are still in the same crib. :lol: So there everywhere all over each other. I know it really doesn't apply, just thought I'd share. ;)

Wow that is just amazing !!!! :eek:

34. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

We had them on opposite sides then moved them in a L shape near each other when they would stand and talk to one another. But one day DD pulled her poopy diaper off, smeared it in her bed and then DS got it and did the same thing. Now they are in an L shape with about a foot apart. When I did that they started taking much better naps - 2 naps 2 hours each!