Illness and sleep habits...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

One of my babies (Finley) has had a few ear infections in the past 2 months and they have not interrupted his sleep at all. Now he has a really bad cold and today marks night #3 that he has been up around 11:30 crying. I've brought him into bed with us and he's slept with us all night b/c I just cannot let a sick baby CIO - and I cannot sit up in their glider all night holding him. So, I know he still doesn't feel well - I'm headed up there to get him right now. But, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how did you get your babies back onto their regular sleep schedule again? Did they just go back to STTN? Did you have to let them CIO?

Thank you!!! :)

2. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

When mine are sick I do what it takes, and for us that is rocking until they are practically asleep. Once they are well I just stop, often they go right back to STTN, sometimes ds will cry for a little the first night, but thats it. But I am lucky that mine usually sleep better when sick and don't like being rocked/held to sleep, they ASK to go in thier cribs!

3. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

Take care of the child while they are still sick and attend to their needs (and yours) to get the best sleep for everyone. Once they are well, or mostly so, go back to your normal routine. It may take a few days, and some crying for them to get back into sleeping in their own bed again, but I always went in to reassure them I was listening, that they were better now, and being better is good, being sick was not fun, and kiss them and leave. I'll do a 3 times in, then let them know I'm not coming back (unless it was the "emergency" cry, which you can always tell the difference between mad and need to react crys). I know your boys aren't old enough to really understand what you're saying, but they might just get the intent, and it will help you reassure yourself that you are doing the right thing.

If they were on a good schedule/routine before getting sick, they will go back to it within a few nights. It will take some reassurance. I agree on not letting a sick baby CIO, but once they are well, and you know they are fine, just mad at you for taking away their fun time in parents bed, then I had no problem letting them CIO after some reassurance. It ended within a few nights, if that long.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ladies! :)

Sullivan has the cold now - we ended up with 2 babies in bed with us last night, but I have to admit - it is so nice to snuggle their warm little bodies. Finley seems to be feeling quite a bit better, though. And he slept til 4:00 a.m. last night instead of the 11:30pm wake-up like the last few nights - so I'm pretty sure he's feeling a lot better. Glad to know I'm not the only one who brings them to bed with us when they are sick.