I'm feeding too soon according to Super Baby Food!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kellyx2, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

I just got the book, Super Baby Food, and I noticed it says you are supposed to give pineapple after NINE months...same with strawberries, blueberries, etc. I've already fed these fruits to my girls! HELP! Why does it say this? I thought this book was going to HELP me!!!

2. threetobe

threetobe Well-Known Member

I think they say that because those foods are more likely to cause allergic reactions / children are likely to be more sensitive to them. If you've already tried these foods and your babies are fine, then don't worry about it. I used Super Baby Food as a rough guide for my son, but I don't agree with everything in it either. If you're doing something that works for you and your babies, then you're doing the right thing! [​IMG]

3. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

If you have tried them, and it didn't effect them... no reason to stop now.

I gave mine strawberries at 6 months.

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Kelly,
    I have given all of mine these foods too. My logical thinking was if Gerber put it in stage 2 baby food, then they could have it. Granted that might not be the best, but that is my thinking. They have also had mashed potatoes too & it says on the wholesomebabyfood web site, not to give those until 9 months. Granted DH & I neither have any food allergies.

5. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

I'm also using the super baby food book but more as a rough guide and help in combining food so they get all the nutrients they need. My pedi disagrees with some of the suggestions and switches foods around. Some she wants earlier and some later. It's driving me nuts! The good news is that if you tried these fruits and they had no reaction to them you can be less stressed with the rest.

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I had the book and sold it again. Personally I think that woman is a freak ... I'd rather use my common sense. It was just too much for me.

7. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

I called Gerber and asked them this because I was concerned. I was told that all the food in their products is cooked. The concern is with giving them raw strawberries, pineapples, etc. So she said it was ok to give them what is in the Gerber stage2. Not sure if that helps or not.

We have given all that to the girls in that form and they have not had a problem.

8. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

I found that if I follow my own gut feeling things will be fine. So if you gave them those fruits and they are fine, your doing great and you can keep giving it to them. At the girl's pedi office I would have one doctor come in and tell me no table food and the next time I would go in and another doctor would tell me to start soft table food at 6 months. I also started introducing Milk at 11 months old and they are fine. So just follow what you think is best.

9. LeslieLu

LeslieLu Well-Known Member

I cracked my Super Baby Food open once and haven't picked it up again. I think those are more for fresh fruits versus jarred. My theory is this...none of these books were around when I had my first child 11 yrs ago and as soon as he had teeth he was eating any and all table food and he is just fine. As far as high allergen foods like peanuts and such, my sister waited til after my nephew was a year old and he still ended up being highly allergic to nuts...so if you fed them those things and they are doing fine don't sweat it! You're doing fine!

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I browsed through that book at B&N one day and put it right back down once I got to the section on MAKING your own yogurt - she's just too much of a freak for me...