I'm melting, I'm melting! Sudden Fear of Bath

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DblStuffOreo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

OK, I should probably post this in the next forum since we are only 1 for 2 more days, but here goes.

This week, Twin B developed a sudden fear of the bath.. Formerly, we had to pry her out of the bath I have googled the fear and figured out that it is quite common for toddlers, so I am not worried about that part - she's normal. What is troubling me is that most sites recommend trying to make bath time interesting or fun. And here comes our problem. Twin B has RIDICULOUSLY sensitive skin. She must have free and clear everything. So, bubbles, bath crayons, water color tablets, etc. are no no's because they all contain dyes or fragrances that will inflame her delicate dermis. That leaves us with toys.

We have the typical squirters and foam letters. We dumped in plastic easter eggs. Let her take in the turkey baster, ladle, and a host of kitchen tools. Nothing coaxed her into the water.

So, what cool bath toys do you use? We are open to non-traditional suggestions.

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My daughter went through the same thing. I don't think we had them while she was going through that but since then she's really liked a couple of different toys: 1) a rubber ducky 2) an Ernie boat (there are other Sesame Street characters available too) and 3) a Munchkin basketball goal that attaches to the wall with suction cups and comes with three little round squirters that can be dunked. We always try to have at least one of these things handy for her baths now - mostly so she'll leave the shampoo alone!

3. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids still go through phases where they love bathing and other times don't want to get into the water.
    At the moment they love the little buckets with holes in the bottom /side and a small watering can to "fill" these. These are very inexpensive toys.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

little boats, squirters, tupperware bowls

we went through this with DD around this time and the only thing I could do was put her in the tub by herself, with the plug open and not let it fill and basically give her a quick sponge bath as fast as humanly possible!

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Its just a phase will pass soon. There was sometime my son was so afraid of water. But now, when we say 'bath time' they take off their clothes, run up stair and straight to the bath room.

You can try to fill full the bath tub with balls, also try water ballons. My kids are so crazy with water ballons. They bite them, create holes, then squeeze water out, shoot it to each other and laugh. They love it.GL

6. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Off topic, but for the sensitive skin, have you ever tried completely organic, natural products? The free and clear mainstream brands are still full of chemicals that can be irritating. They might even have organic bubble bath :) Just a thought.

7. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

UPDATE: I think the timing of Twin B's fear couldn't have been better. Since it is AZ, we had our first 100 degree day this past weekend. That meant inflatable pool, water in the water table, and sprinklers. We set everything up and Twin A charged in. Twin B was more cautious, but, by the end of the weekend, she is back to the water baby we remember. In fact, today, she drug out the inflatable pool and said "bath." So, we're headed out for more water fun. Hooray!

BTW - as incentive to get back into the water, we ended out buying waterproof baby dolls. We thought it would be good for her to show her baby how to take a bath.

2 people like this.
  8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

One of my boys went through the same thing, I did showers for a bit. He'll go in the bath now but as soon as you pull the plug he is out of that tub so fast.

9. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

you could have her finger paint in the tub with yogurt, pudding or applesauce, or sensitive skin shaving cream, paint with water colors on the walls of the tub (washes right off when you are finished)