I'm not really enjoying the 2nd year that much

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lawilliams77, Aug 30, 2010.

1. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

The first year feels like it was a breeze compared to this. My boys have morphed from easy going happy babies to cry constantly, fight constantly, nothing ever makes me happy unless I'm eating or being entertained by mom or dad toddlers. What happened? When does this get better?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I felt like once mine turned a year old, all of the sudden their personality flipped. Two relatively happy babies turned into these screaming, whining children! I'd have to say at various points 12-18 months were hard for me. I found that it got better once they could communicate their wants and needs better and also when they were able to understand rules more. I would say my children were vast improvement in behavior at 19-20 months then they were at say, 15 months when I felt like I was going to pull all my hair out.
    :youcandoit: Hang in there Momma :hug:

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I hate to be cliched and blame everything on teething, but.....are they teething? :lol: Seriously, when teeth are coming in my guys go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde overnight. With Jack it's so bad that literally his face will change! You can tell in photographs when he's teething because he's always got a frown, a pained look, a sneer, or is outright crying. Then he'll wake up with a new tooth and he has this beatific glow; it's unreal. Jack gets super clingy when he's teething, and Nate gets so easily frustrated that he's tantruming over every stupid thing.

I promise this will pass, even though it seems like forever! Hang in there! :hug:

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Someone told me that twins just get harder in different ways all the time. I am totally with you that this is a tough age... it seems as though once they get their first taste of birthday cake they turn into little monsters for a while. It's fun to see them asserting their independence, but it's also very LOUD. As my guys get more communicative (although they're not really talking per se, they've figured out how to tell me what they want) it's getting easier. It just takes them a while to train you :laughing:

1 person likes this.
  5. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

I'm with you! And I think part of it for me is that as newborns, it was all because they were so small. At this age, I'm wondering if we are doing something that is encouraging the whiney, needy, behavior, which then puts stress on me and makes it even worse!!

6. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you... just wanted to say I can totally relate! The second year is the least favorite age of a child for me. I think communication is one of the biggest culprits. They are starting to develop a desire and need to communicate, and can't. I think this is frustrating for the kids, and myself.

I hope things get easier for you soon!

7. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm with Nancy, 15 months about killed me! :faint: And then it seemed to slowly, but consistently get somewhat better! :hug: Hang in there! :hug:

8. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I feel like all along (once we got out of the sleepless newborn phase), my boys have gotten better and then worse and then better again; good and bad days and weeks all mixed together. Some days I'd say the second year is a blast, that they are so much fun, and other days I'm tearing my hair out. I know how you feel!

9. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this post! It really depends on the day for me.

10. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

LOL. My first thought was that it gets better when they go to kindergarten (preferably full day)! In all seriousness though, we are sort of in that stage right now except that only one is clingy and the other is an aggressive biter! I'm hoping that when they can communicate it will get easier.

11. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

Same here!!!! They cry all day long and fight! I also noticed that they completely lost interest in toys and don't play with them at all. They are more into destructive phase right now of throwing everything around including food and breaking items. It's crazy. I always thought it would be easier at this stage but like you, I now look back and think of the first year as a piece of cake. I hope this will change soon!

12. lawilliams77

So nice to know I'm not alone. I kinda new I wasn't but it is nice to hear from all of you. Ryan and I were just saying this morning.. "I just wish they'd learn a couple of words so they could tell us what they want".
    I am supposed to have back surgery in a week and a half and I'm going to be out of commission for a lot of my mommy tasks. I had hoped that they would be farther along with holding hands to walk places and communicating their wants and needs prior to this but its not looking good. Thank goodness for my husband and my mom.

13. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're having surgery! If it makes you feel any better, my guys still can't be trusted to hold hands walking places and they just turned 2! :faint:

I hope you get lots of help while you're recuperating. :)

14. lawilliams77

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='01 September 2010 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1283363038' post='1690272']
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're having surgery! If it makes you feel any better, my guys still can't be trusted to hold hands walking places and they just turned 2! :faint:

I hope you get lots of help while you're recuperating. :)
    [/quote]

I think I will. They will go to daycare during the daytime and my husband and mother will be there with me in the evenings. I should be back at work after 4 weeks and maybe able to lift the boys after 2-3 months, definately after 4 months, will have to see how it goes. My older kids are going to be my big helpers with dishes and laundry with me taking more of the supervisory role. My daughter is going to love it, she begs to be right under my feet with housework (just won't clean her own room). My oldest son is a different story, doesn't love to do house chores but will do them when asked without making a big stink.
    Thanks for the warm thoughts. :)

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Leslie-I am wishing you all the best with your back surgery :hug: and I am so glad that your older children will be such a big help, along with your DH and Mom!

16. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I think this age is easier, HOWEVER I have found that they get bored a lot easier and are no longer happy being home every day. Once mine turn into crabby pants 1 & 2 I know it's time to get them out of the house. It's hard because they still take 2 naps so sometimes just a quick run to Target is enough of a change to make a difference. With winter fast approaching I know it will be more and more difficult to get them out and I'm already trying to think of things I can do with them. We should start a post and brainstorm together!!!