I'm raising little nudists!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Laura in Alaska, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

Every day lately, when I put them down for a nap, they take an hour or so to stop playing and go to sleep. No matter how tired they are. The playing I can handle...and ignore...but the undressing I can't. Eventually, they'll pee or poo on everything. They take off their clothes and their diapers and streak around like little banshees, giggling and cackling the whole time. It's become a budget issue too since, for example, yesterday they took off their diapers 3 times in two hours. I'd put dry diapers back on them, but each time these had just a touch of pee in them and I couldn't bring myself to put them back on them. Six new diapers and 4 trips downstairs to re-dress them and lay them back down, they finally took a 45 minute nap. So, have any of you found creative ways to keep them in their clothes?? Or at least in their diapers??

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Backwards onesies or snap bottom shirts (backwards puts the snaps in a hard to reach place) and overalls without snaps. I raided good will and consignment stores for cheap overalls. It only took about 6 weeks and he stopped doing it.

3. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Some swear by duct tape on the diaper tabs. It didn't work for me because they'd just push the diapers down still fastened but it's cheap, quick, and easy.

Stuff to try:

One-piece pajamas on backward (get them a little big and just twist the leg fabric so the feet go the right direction).
    Sleep sacks on backward (Halo makes them in toddler sizes).
    Dress them in layers with the most challenging fasteners (I used a onesie base, then overalls that didn't have a snap crotch, and a button-up shirt over the top of that). They looked silly but this was the most effective.

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

LOL my boys were like that as well... now when we are at home they only wear their under wear... like the minute we walk through the door they are stripping down!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Halo XL sleepsacks on backwards saved us. Cricket can still pull her shirt off with the sleep sack on but she can't get to her pants or diaper. Now, every time they nap, they wear sleepsacks. I have the very light cotton ones for day and fleece for night.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My girlies LOVE to run around here naked too!!! I keep them in overalls and/or shirts that snap in the crotch area - this works for us! So far mine have been unable to take overalls off OR unsnap the shirts!

7. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ktfan @ Jan 1 2009, 08:58 AM) [snapback]1128814[/snapback]
    Backwards onesies or snap bottom shirts (backwards puts the snaps in a hard to reach place) and overalls without snaps. I raided good will and consignment stores for cheap overalls. It only took about 6 weeks and he stopped doing it.

We did that to Kevin when he was doing it a lot. It worked after about a month and then we went back to reg. clothes.

Good luck Laura! :hug:

8. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

Do they nap together? Another thing to try might be to separate them, then they might not be trying to entertain each other with their antics :)

9. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. As soon as I get some cash I'm gonna go look for some onesies. That seems like the thing that would foil my crazy girlies.

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

QUOTE(berebunch31 @ Jan 1 2009, 06:53 PM) [snapback]1129267[/snapback]
    Do they nap together? Another thing to try might be to separate them, then they might not be trying to entertain each other with their antics :)

this was going to be my suggestion - one in the crib and one in a PnP somewhere else for a while - its the only thing that keeps my kids clothes on anymore at nap time!

11. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

My two did this for about 6 months or more! DUCT TAPE!!!!!! I'd use about a 7 or 8 inch strip of duct tape over the entire front of the diaper and around the behind so they can't reach the ends. Followed by a onsie or snap together PJ's.
    Good luck. My two finally grew out of it, so hopefully yours will too. Hang in there.

12. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I put them in footed onesies for every sleep time and safety pinned them shut. (at the neck...)