I'm really hoping they don't tell me they need to pull her two front teeth!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Chillers, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

If it's not one thing it's another, right?

Searra fell last month (I didn't even see what happened I was downstairs getting some food) and I heard crying so I went flying up the stairs. She was standing at the gate crying and bloody lipped. This is not necessarily the most unusual circumstance at our house, so I cleaned up the blood made sure nothing was too bad and we went on our day. She tends to get more bloody lips than her sister anyway because one of her front teeth is chipped, so a little pointy.

Over that weekend she told me her tooth hurt and wouldn't eat her apple :( So I called the dentist and we went in. They said it looked okay at the moment but to look out for continued pain, a little blister or pimple above the gum line (sign of abscess) or discoloration.

She seemed fine, then completely out of the blue on Monday, the poor thing looks at me and says "Mommy, my tooth hurts" I'd been checking them frequently right after the accident but have slacked off recently as they seemed fine. I looked, didn't notice anything on her gumline, but sure enough, both top front teeth are turning dark. Called the dentist back but because she's so little, they told me they'd recommend going to a pedi dentist for the more invasive exam that's going to be necessary now.

Ugh. Anyone have any experiences? (good or bad :D ) I'll be scheduling the appt tomorrow when the office opens up.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, I guess be thankful that they're only primary teeth. . . I hope that they're able to do something for her!

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!!!!!! SAME THING HERE!

I'm leaving Gabe's in tho. I would NOT let them pull them unless he was going to die from keeping them in.

Seriously.

I have been losing a bit of sleep over the thought.

Gabe SMASHED his mouth on our toy box and bled and MOVED his teeth. I was soo scared.

Now they are a light shade of gray.

Anyway, let me know what they tell you PLEASE cuz I don't want to take mine in to the dentist if I don't have to.

I had 12 baby teeth pulled to "prevent me from needing braces.." between the ages of 4 and 8. It was AWFUL. I want to avoid that for him, IF I can.

:) Thanks for posting. I thought I was alone! P.S. Mine JUST turned 2, so going w/o front teeth for 3 years would be ROUGH.

I can't believe it hURTS! OH NO. I never thought about that. Does it still hurt her? Can you ask??

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I have no experience with my children but personal experiences as a child. If she says that it hurts and if the pedi dentist recommends pulling them, DO IT!! Nothing hurts worse than a toothache. :hug: to her and to you. I was snaggle toothed for three or so years and they had to put in spacers so that my teeth didn't grow together. But anything beats the pain.

Same advice for you too IVFbound.

1 person likes this.
  5. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

My niece fell out of a shopping cart when she was 3. Initially, the dentist thought the tooth [1 front] was OK, but it started to discolor and she exhibited discomfort by refusing to eat hard food, etc. The Ped dentist ended up pulling the tooth to avoid infection etc. She is now 6 so was toothless for a couple of years, but it did not seem to bother her. I too would go with the Ped dentist's rec.

6. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Poor Searra!

I know at least three kids who managed to knock out one or both of their front teeth as toddlers or young preschoolers. One mom didn't do anything, and her daughter just didn't have any front teeth for a few years. Her adult teeth came in just fine in K or 1st.

Another mom decided to get her daughter a bridge, because she was worried the lack of teeth so early would affect her speech. She likes to say her 5-year-old has the most expensive mouth possible, LOL.

The third kid, a boy, only knocked out part of one tooth, I think, so it was less of a big deal.

I don't have any experience with teeth turning gray, though. But, if they end up needing to be pulled, at least you *do* have the option of a bridge...

Hope it works out okay!

7. Chillers

I hear you on the tooth pain, it's awful! I'm actually wondering if that's why she's been more "2" than normal this week. She's been out of sorts, so we'll see. But yes, I'm definitely going to listen to them.

Thank you everyone! And yes, if he recommends yanking them...we will! I won't like it, but I wouldn't leave her with sore teeth or the risk for infection, which could get bad.

And Becca, if they do have to pull them, I'm strongly considering a bridge for her due to the eating, speaking and tooth placement issue. DH had braces as a kid, so it's already a strong possibility. But this is all hypothetical at this point!

We've got an appointment at 10am tomorrow morning. I was impressed, I called this morning and she actually had a couple of cancellations for today. I was working though, so tomorrow it is!

IVFbound ~ After the initial injury, she complained of pain in her teeth a couple of days later and wouldn't take a bite of a whole apple like they had been, said it was too hard. That prompted the initial visit, otherwise I probably would have chalked it up to a bloody lip/bumped mouth and gone on. At the visit they told me a couple of things to watch for. One being the discoloration (not necessarily a big deal) and another pain and or a blister looking thing above her gum line. Those are more indicitive of infection. It probably wouldn't hurt to give your dentist a call and see what they think about your little one. Searra was telling me her tooth was hurting. That was my main push to call. :( Hate it when the little ones hurt!

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

No advice or experience, just wanted to offer :hug: :hug: :hug:

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Yeowch. :hug: to you and her.

10. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Ryan fell out of bed while we were on vacation onto tile floor. He ended up cracking both of his top front teeth right at the root. Somehow they didn't fallout. We took him to the pediatric dentist and they had us keep any eye on it for about a month. Sometimes the gums tighten up and the teeth don't fall. As long as there is no abscess or infection she should be fine. It's been about 1.5 yrs for us and his teeth are still in. They are a little darker than the other teeth, but nothing dramatically noticeable.

11. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry! Poor thing!

Connor fell in the store when he was about 3 years old and smashed one of his front teeth. I have never seen so much blood! I took him to the ER and they called in a dentist. After xrays he recommended it be pulled, there was very little root left for it to re-attach. He asked if Connor was prone to many falls, which he was, and it led to the roots being compromised. He was so brave though when they pulled it out, and I think he was a bit relieved. We had him fitted for a spacer (a fake tooth) about a week later. Mostly to make sure the other teeth didn't shift or that the lack of a tooth could lead to some speech issues, especially at such a young age. I won't lie, the spacer was wicked expensive, and Aaron threw a book at him a year later and knocked it out! I am glad we did it though (get the spacer) They are ID and Connor was already so self-concious about missing his tooth that I didn't want him to be known as the "toothless one."

12. Chillers

Good news!! No signs of acute infection, so we're on a watch and wait plan :) Recheck in 6 months unless something else develops.:woo:

The dentist said they were still a little loose, so that could be why they're sore, but no need to pull anything at this point. Her xrays and gums looked good.

And she was so good the whole appt!! I was so proud of her. She layed right back in the chair and let them peek all around and feel everything. She only asked that I hold her hand, which I of course did :wub:

Poor Ellie had a harder time than Searra did! I left her in the waiting room with DH and came out and they were waiting in the truck, she wouldn't stop yelling for her sister, Ellie even told me this morning that her tooth hurt too and she needed to see the dentist :lol:

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT on the pulling teeth team so I'm soooooooooooooo happy!

GAbe's do not hurt so I'm not worried about that and they aren't loose or anything!

Good job Searra and thank YOU for all of your help!

I feel much better now!!

Good luck!

14. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

WTG Seara!! That is great news!!

15. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mitchell fell last year at about the same age. He fell onto another childs head and his teeth went into the other kids head. Left two teeth marks. My child had completely bruised gums...like black and blue!! His two front teeth were crooked. I took him to the dentist immediately and they numbed it and tried to push both teeth back where they belong. They told me he would more than likely have to have that one pulled. Its a light shade of grey but hasn't caused him any pain. He just went to the dentist this past week for a cleaning and they just said it was looking good. He doesn't complain at all about it. For a while though I think it was sore just because it had been moved.
    It is very important to keep an eye on it. My older son has so many teeth issues so I don't take anything for granted. If I had to pull all his baby teeth to protect the adult ones I would do it in a minute. If they turn darker than grey it will affect (more than likely I was told) the adult tooth and that one will come in a different shade.
    Chances are it will be fine. Its sooo much more common that we think it is. Good luck!! I know its soo scary to see but hopefully it will be fine!

16. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

My DS climbed on our counter to reach something either out of the cabinet or the refrigerator. I think I might have been in the bathroom at the time. I think he was around 4. Anyway, I saw him on the counter, and told him to let me help him get down. He refused and he jumped. Well, he landed and fell in such a way to bump his tooth on the floor. Ouch! I remember it bleeding, and it turned gray. I asked the dentist about it,a nd they said they'd leave it in since there was no infection. He is now 7, and has lost that baby tooth, and his permanent tooth is fine.

I'm glad her teeth are fine, and you don't have to get them pulled! That is great news!

17. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

I did not read PP so if it is a repeat sorry. Ian fell getting out of the bath and hurt his mouth at about three almost four. Of course it was just after the dentist closed and I stressed all night. It pushed his teeth back too. I got an apt at a dentist close to the house the next morning, they took xrays and said we needed to make an apt to have them pulled. Of course my response was WHAT???? So I got a second opinion, a pedi dentist that is well regarded (just farther away from our house) She said the same thing, watch for absess, prolonged pain. But, she also said the teeth may or may not discolor. That the also may discolor and then lighten again. Sometimes the teeth kind of go into shock and then the blood flow reworks itself. Sometimes not. But the only reason she would pull the teeth is if it was absolutly necessary (infection?)
    The only other thing she said is that due to the injury there may be an issue when they go to fall out, but not to worry now. Sometimes they do not fall out as soon as they would otherwise or they may kind of get stuck due to essentially scar tissue for lack of a better term. Hopefully the pain is not anything related to the injury.