Increasing Braxton Hicks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by nurseandrea02, May 28, 2007.

1. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for the past 6 weeks or so, so have started to 'get used' to them :). I notice that I don't 'count' them anymore or really focus in on them, unless I feel there are more than normal.

My question is, what can cause an increase in frequency of Braxton Hicks? I know dehydration, a full bladder, & overdoing it...but anything else? I feel like I've had a lot more today than most days, but have drank a LOT of water, made sure my bladder wasn't full, & kept my feet up or have been laying down ALL DAY. While there are no pattern to the contractions & I'm not typically having more than 4 an hour, I'm still slightly concerned as to why I'm getting them when I'm being so lazy today. Just wondering if there could be something else I'm missing. If they stay this prevalent, I'll call the clinic in the AM. I do not think I'm in PTL by any means, but just curious as to what's causing today's irritability over any other day.

Another side question, are there varying degrees of contractions? Sometimes I put my hand on my belly & THINK I might be having one, but then other times it's QUITE obvious. I wish there was a little light that would go on & say "CONTRACTION" so I'd know :)! I hear these horror stories of people contracting every few minutes without knowing it, so I hope I'm not missing something!!!!

Thanks in advance for your input! I feel like I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but you've all been great at answering them & easing my mind! This forum is heaven sent!!!

2. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I've been on a home contaction monitor for a few months, which really helps to save my sanity... if I feel like I'm having a lot of them, I can wear my monitor and find out what's really going on. Like you, I have found I can't always tell what's a contraction and what's kind of like a contraction but not quite. Sometimes, I am having full-fledged contractions, and sometimes I am having "uterine irritability", which is what I have been told that semi-tight, not-quite-a-contraction feeling is. It can cause cervical change like contractions, but only if you have a ton of it on a regular basis... and not nearly as quickly as full-blown contractions (BH or otherwise).

As far as things that can cause it, my contraction monitor nurses tell me that having your diet be even a little "off" can exacerbate the symptoms, so they tell me to eat frequent snacks (every 2 hours or less) with protein-- cheese, peanut butter, meat, etc. Sometimes a glass of OJ will help to give your body some quick sugar to calm down contrations, too. Hope these little tricks help... of course, dehydration and all the others that you mentioned will definitely play into it as well. I have to say that just as often as contractions brought on by something logical, my body will just kind of go nuts with unexplainable contractions/irritability, so if that's the case, you are not alone!

If your doctor allows, Tylenol also helps to calm my contractions if I take it when I notice either contractions or even just a lot of irritability. I'd check with the doc of course, though. :)

3. Br00klineBabe

Br00klineBabe Well-Known Member

I had a lot of contractions during my twin preganacy. There was one day (31wks) I had contractions and they felt different, I went into the Dr. and I was in PTL. I was so happy that I had gone in because I got teh steriods and they wer able to stop my labor. I was put on bedrest saince I had got to 4cm and 50%.

Anyways, what my point is, is that if you feel that soimething is different get it checked out.

Good Luck

4. skitles

skitles Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Br00klineBabe @ May 29 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]271249[/snapback]
    I had a lot of contractions during my twin preganacy. There was one day (31wks) I had contractions and they felt different, I went into the Dr. and I was in PTL.

How were they different?

I'm going through the same thing as you, nurseandre02. I actually was admitted for preterm labor last week, and the only reason I knew to go in was because I was bleeding. It turns out I was contracting every 3-5 minutes but since I'm always contracting, I didn't even notice. I'm at home now on bedrest and taking procardia to make the contractions less frequent.

I'm afraid I won't know if I start to go into preterm labor again!

5. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I never knew about the diet thing...I'll have to try that. I do go long hours without eating sometimes, but it's hard to FORCE myself to eat when I'm just NOT hungry.

Today my contractions are better, so I'm still not sure what was up yesterday. Very odd.

What I wouldn't do for a home contraction monitor! What did you have to do to get hooked up with one of those? I know one of the OBs in our practice said they don't really worry about any contractions less than 45 seconds, unless there are a TON within an hour, because they're less apt to change the cervix. I just worry that I'm laying here, possibly having contractions or in PTL, and not even knowing it! As if carrying around 2 babies isn't stress enough :). I obviously know I'll KNOW when I'm in labor...but by that point, there may be no turning back!

My mom went into PTL with my bro at 26 wks (carried him to 28) & I at 20 wks (carried to 34) but didn't go into PTL with my twin bros til 34 wks (they're the oldest). Because they aren't sure of any genetic link for PTL, I'm getting the every other week fFN & getting monitored more closely, which eases me some. If you get a neg fFN, is it still possible to go into labor in the following 2 weeks???

Thanks again for all the input ladies! You're super helpful!

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nurseandrea02 @ May 29 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]272086[/snapback]
    What I wouldn't do for a home contraction monitor! What did you have to do to get hooked up with one of those? I know one of the OBs in our practice said they don't really worry about any contractions less than 45 seconds, unless there are a TON within an hour, because they're less apt to change the cervix. I just worry that I'm laying here, possibly having contractions or in PTL, and not even knowing it! As if carrying around 2 babies isn't stress enough :). I obviously know I'll KNOW when I'm in labor...but by that point, there may be no turning back!

I got a home uterine monitor because I was on hospital bedrest and my doc was ready to send me home since he had found a good med cocktail to keep my contractions at bay. I was glad I had it (although I hated it at the time) because it did give me peace of mind. There were times that I was contracting and not feeling it, and so I would have to increase my meds. Have you started having NSTs? It is basically the same thing and can give you an idea if you are contracting without feeling it? And assuming that your cervix is not changing, then I would not worry too intensely about it (unless you have a large amount in an hour, an amount determined by your doc).

Because they aren't sure of any genetic link for PTL, I'm getting the every other week fFN & getting monitored more closely, which eases me some. If you get a neg fFN, is it still possible to go into labor in the following 2 weeks???

Yes, it is still possible. My peri said that it had never happened to him though (if I remember correctly, none at all but maybe just one patient?). So he put A TON of emphasis on that negative test result.