Incredible Farting baby!! Question...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sp, Dec 11, 2006.

1. sp

sp Well-Known Member

Hi moms.
    Any other breastfeeding moms have an EXTREMELY gassy baby? Olivia farts more in one day than the whole family does in a week!!! Also, she gets "snorty" after a feed and on occasion will spit up about a tablespoon or so of her feed. Doc said it could be mild reflux because of the immature muscle development on the muscle that closes the esophegus off from the stomach. Sometimes it comes back up and goes through her nose as well. However, in the meantime she has some painful gas. Doc suggested mylecon drops at each feed and having her sit up for 20 minutes after a feed. I have tried fennel tea from a bottle but she only takes a minute amount. Any other suggestions. I feel so bad for her when she cries out hysterically when a gas bubble is making it's way out. Poor thing.

2. sp

sp Well-Known Member

Hi moms.
    Any other breastfeeding moms have an EXTREMELY gassy baby? Olivia farts more in one day than the whole family does in a week!!! Also, she gets "snorty" after a feed and on occasion will spit up about a tablespoon or so of her feed. Doc said it could be mild reflux because of the immature muscle development on the muscle that closes the esophegus off from the stomach. Sometimes it comes back up and goes through her nose as well. However, in the meantime she has some painful gas. Doc suggested mylecon drops at each feed and having her sit up for 20 minutes after a feed. I have tried fennel tea from a bottle but she only takes a minute amount. Any other suggestions. I feel so bad for her when she cries out hysterically when a gas bubble is making it's way out. Poor thing.

3. HelenClyde

HelenClyde Well-Known Member

Maybe it becomes better when you massage her stomach when she´s crying. I´ve read in a book that using a special oil called "Oil of the four winds" would help, and only when you massage clockwise, but that sounded so esoterical to me, that I never tried it.
    Carrying them around also helped us, especially in that "flying" position, where your baby lies on your arm, your hand resting between her legs. The movement helps getting the air out. We often carried them around in a cloth during day (we never used a stroller) and I was told that bodycontact also can help.

I´d refuse to give drugs, but that of course depends on so many things (like how your girl is doing, and how much sleep you still get...), you have to decide on your own.

Anyway, probably the ladies in the other forum for babies can tell you more, as a lot of us are expecting their first babies [​IMG]

4. Wendianne

Wendianne Well-Known Member

Ouch. Poor baby. I hope she gets through this soon.

Someone told me to massage in a circular motion around the tailbone area. I thought it sounded weird but for 2 out of 3 of my kids it worked every time.

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My girls both farted all the time, but it wasn't painful for them. We did use Mylicon after each feed to stave off any possible gas pains though. They also spit up, but that's pretty normal. Almost all babies spit up some amount because of that immature muscle development.

For the pain, you can try to bicycle her legs to help get it out. Have you also looked at what you are eating to see if there are any foods she may be sensitive to? Sometimes cutting milk or other food groups out of your diet helps with a breastfed baby's indigestion.

6. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

my best friend's little girl was extremely gassy, she tried Gripe water and swore by it.

7. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have gotten some good tips to try. I was just going to say that with my son holding him facing away across my forearm seemed to put the right amount of pressure on his stomach to relieve his pain. We didn't have much luck with the mylicon drops though. keeping him upright seemed to stave off the gas before it ever got started though. The good news is: it's a completely normal problem for your baby to have, and they generally outgrow it in the first couple of months. Good luck!!

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

My nephew is strictly breastmilk fed and is the gassiest little gas man I have ever met!! Unbelievable really. Sometimes it hurts him and sometimes not....don't know if it helps, but I know what you mean!

9. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

I had this problem with my first son. i found out that while broccoli was my absolute favorite food that i had to quit eating it due to my son being so gassy. any kind of food that caused gas for me or my child i had to minimize my intake of those especially. my doctor said that i didn't have to do that but i did because i was extremely worried about my sons outburts when he tried to pass the gas. broccoli was the culprit in my case. check out your diet most definately! good luck!
    lots of love!
    Meshell from Guflport, MS [​IMG]