Inducing labor yourself

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by theklafkas, Jul 30, 2008.

1. theklafkas

theklafkas Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Castor Oil? I had a friend tell me tonight that she mixed 8 oz of orange juice and a tablespoon of Castor Oil and she went into labor within 10 hours! Just wondering if it works or any other ideas you might have!!!!

2. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

Anedoctal experience like this shouldn't be practise as it lacks of scientific proof. If your doctor don't think its time to induce, then it isn't time yet!!

3. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

DH's grandma took castor oil and the only thing it did for her was make her throw up and have diarrhea for 24 hours. She didn't go into labor for two more weeks. I would never try it because it would be miserable to be sick like that when you're pregnant.

Dh's crazy neice took it too and went into labor but was throwing up and having diarrhea while she was giving birth.

4. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

Worked for me with my son. I was a couple days until 42 weeks and couldn't stand it anymore. He was due on the 4th of July and I didn't have him until the 15th! I called the hospital and they were going to induce me in another week and I said no way! I also heard from my birthing classes the being induced is more painful with pitocin so I didn't want to play.

I tried EVERYTHING my parents and I could think of. They bought these weird chinese sticks and burned my feet with them, nothing. We bought blue and black cohosh oil and I added it to my water every couple of hours, nothing. My dula talked to me about how she drank castor oil with all three of her babies and it worked so I did it. I mixed 2 oz of the oil with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and and a scoop of frozen OJ, blended it and chugged. Didn't taste that great and I threw up 1/2 hr later but went right into labor. I went straight to the hospital and was dialated at 7cm and had him 4 hrs later all natural.

A couple of my friends did it as well and it worked too. I have heard of cases where it doesn't work and just makes you feel sick. I think its hit or miss. Most Docs and nurses won't incourage it and I'm not a health professional other than knowing about blood (I'm a phlebotomist) but I know it worked for me. Its a personal choice and I think you should do what's right for you. I know it was right for me in those curcumstances.

Good luck!
    If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me.

5. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

It CAN work, because it will give you diarrhea and the cramping from that can stimulate uterine contractions. And that hopefully will continue and turn into a natural labor. I did indeed discuss it with my OB and my midwife, and both agreed it works and isn't as hard on your body as pitocin, but the problem is how awful it makes you feel.

I tried it with my 1st pregnancy when I was overdue and had some degree of success. I put 2 oz into a milkshake in the blender (to disguise the flavor!). It was a REALLY intense, awful sickness for a couple hours and immediately afterwards I had half a day of good solid contractions. They eventually slowed down for me, though. :rolleyes: But then again, even pitocin took a long time and a high dose (plus breaking my water) to work, in the end, so obviously DD just didn't want to come out yet! If your body is ready at all, the castor oil can definitely work.

6. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

Beware it can cause the baby to have meconium staining. This is very dangerous.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Someone told me about that when I was pregnant with my oldest DD, but it sounded so gross to me. :bad:

8. Mom2SaraandSam

Mom2SaraandSam Well-Known Member

I think I'll skip the castor oil...lol

9. mollysanderson

mollysanderson Well-Known Member

This is family lore in our house; my mother was given a pint of OJ with castor oil to down in the hospital once she got to 42 weeks with me. It worked ... but you should see her face at the thought of it to this day!! :bad:

10. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I tried it on the advice of my midwife (you usually have to take somthing like 3-4 oz). I mixed it with OJ and chugged it. It was the most horrible thing-like drinking an oil spill. I had contrax along with horrible diarrhea all day. The contrax eventually stopped but after seeing how sick I was I was glad because I couldn't imagine going into labor with horrible diarrhea like that. I swore never again. A good friend of mine was overdue and did not heed my warning..her midwife suggested it and she drank. After a full day of vomiting and diarrhea (18 +hrs) she went into a looong labor and was exhausted and dehydrated before it even started. She ended up needing a c-section because the baby couldn't tolerate the labor the labor any longer and started having late decels. Her husband and I wonder if that would have happened if it weren't for the castor oil. Bottom line is if your body ain't ready it's not gonna work.

PS. we both also tried acupuncture, acupressure, lots of sex, nipple stimulation, black cohosh, evening primrose, walking, squatting etc. and
    nothing worked for either of us. My midwife even stripped my membranes in the office( we were desperate because my BP was getting too close to pre-e for comfort and I wanted an "all natural" birth") I ended up being induced with Pitocin in the end and yes it was painful but the baby and I were both fine.

11. melissa1

melissa1 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine drank some went for a walk around the mall and ate tons of pepperoni and she went into labor that day, I herd it is not very safe though (not sure).

12. madhouse

madhouse Well-Known Member

definatly dont think its a good idea. i have heard of so many things and i just think its best to go the natural way!!!! lol....i have had two children and now pregnant with twins and i know for a fact (NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS) sex has always ALWAYS induced my labor! IT WORKS! believe me!!!!! so that is definatly the way i am going to go again! sex sex sex....lol....with my other two i stopped having sex during the 9th month and when i felt i wanted it to be done....we had sex and had the babies at least 7 hours afterwards. i mean with my first...literally right when we were done had the normal uterine contractions but they never stopped and had her at 9:45 am the next morning! so if i were to suggest anything it would be intercourse!

13. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(firemedic @ Jul 31 2008, 08:58 AM) [snapback]905779[/snapback]
    Beware it can cause the baby to have meconium staining. This is very dangerous.

I agree with this....PLEASE DO NOT DRINK CASTOR OIL...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO THE BABIES! I don't mean to put in such bold print, but honestly it is such a bad mistake to do this. It causes the babies to have a bowel movement in their sac and it could cause them to become stressed. Besides negligence on a nurse practioners behalf, when we lost my daughter and after they opened up her sack it was discovered that she had meuconium in her there. After a lot of research on my part....what i found is it probably sent her in distress until she couldn't take it anymore. I didn't take Castor oil, but possibly putting your child in this position of stressing out isn't safe. Let the babies come when they want to...although i know how hard it is to be patient at this point, those babies will be in your arms sooner than you think .. good luck.

14. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Please don't do this. you've worked very hard to keep them protected until now. Don't try something that can potentially harm them. You can make it! You can do it! This will all be over soon. Hang in there!

15. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

Hang in there, you are so close to the end. I know the endis rough, but you can do it! Your body will let you know when it is the right time!

16. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

I am feeling the strain too. I just feel like crying all day today. I have no idea what else to do. I'm an emotional wreck. LOL I have managed to maintain my healthy sense of humor but can't help but feel that I am TIRED of being pregnant now. I'm so ready and don't see any end in sight no matter how many times people say "You are almost done".

We can be miserable together.
    I'm craving pineapple. Maybe that will get things going. I've heard it can too.

17. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I have heard awful things about Castor oil - No way would I want horrible diarrhea on top of labor! and as someone said I just would not risk any problems it may cause! I know it is not easy right now but you are SO close!!! hang in there!!!

18. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

ew, I wouldn't dare drink Castrol oil. GROSS! Just let nature run it's course :D

I understand the feeling of wanting to have those babies out now

19. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

You must be miserable right now!! I am sure the heat is getting to you as well!! :hug99: Hang in there. Nothing any of us says will ease your pain! :hug99:

20. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

just for fun...I have heard that a lot of women go into labor after eating this restaurant's eggplant parmesan!! It sounds a lot better (and safer than the castor oil)

All natural labor induction

21. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

QUOTE(madhouse101 @ Jul 31 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]906832[/snapback]
    sex has always ALWAYS induced my labor! IT WORKS! believe me!!!!! so that is definatly the way i am going to go again! sex sex sex....lol.... so if i were to suggest anything it would be intercourse!

[SIZE=36pt]Me too[/SIZE]... i was on "rest" until 36w... i wanted the boys born on the 20th... so 2am on the 20th i hoped on top... and pop... water broke... romantic i know... boys were born at 6:37 am and 6:39 am April 20th at 36w 4 d