Inducing week 37 when carrying twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by arkie, Apr 12, 2009.

1. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I just read something that doesn't seem right, in the province we are in, in Sweden, they induce you at week 37 if you are carrying twins, does anyone know why they might do this?

2. Little June Bug

Little June Bug Well-Known Member

Here in Canada, my doc said they won't let you go past 38 weeks....something to do with aging placenta and not healthy for babies....twin babies' lungs are more mature than singletons and they are ready to come within that time period.

3. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

My docs did say the same as the pp mentioned about the placenta starting to break down BUT 37 weeks seems early, as long as blood flow looked good, my peri wouldn't induce/c-section until 39 weeks. as long as no one is in danger, the longer the better....

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yes, 37 weeks does seem too early.. but who knows.

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Hmm? Sounds early for inducing?
    Though 38 weeks was considered full term, so technically it's not *too* early, but if the babies are going to stay in another week or two then why not leave them?
    Let us know what your Dr. says!

6. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

I have read varying things. A lot of docs say 37 weeks is full term and don't want you to go past that due to placenta issues and uterine stretching. I guess there can be issues with the uterus not being able to contract fully or by itself when you go so far and it stretches so much. I can't remember what they call that.

On the other hand, I have read that some docs think it is better for the babies to be in as long as they can.

Not sure which is right. I have read that multiples do mature faster than singletons though.

7. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

Yes, my doc said 37 weeks was great. I was scheduled for the section on that day. After 37 weeks, they really don't thrive anymore in the womb. Just not enough room.

Also 36 weeks is considered Full Term for twins not 40 weeks.

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My doc said she would induce at 38 weeks because of the placentas breaking down etc, however I talked to her into induction at 37 :) mine were healthy as could be!

9. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I think it must depend on the Dr. Mine considers 38 weeks full term and is going to induce at exactly 38 weeks. But, I was not given the option for anything earlier. She also said at 36 weeks they would not worry if I went into labor. That seems a little early but, if your doc deals with twins alot they probably know if it is safe or not.

10. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

My doctor told me he wouldn't stop labor after 36 weeks but I couldn't be induced until 38 weeks per the hospital's rules. Tomorrow's the big day!

11. jranger05

jranger05 Well-Known Member

Im in Canada as well, and my doc has said that if theres nothing happening by 37 weeks, he will induce at 37 wks 3 days. He explained to me that the risks out weigh the benefits when it comes to leaving them in longer. He is THE most sought after doc for twins in my city, as he has the most experience. Apparently the risk of still birth can go up, due to aging placentas, and stress on the uterus. As far as I know, 37weeks is considered term for twins, and like a pp said, they're lungs mature faster tahn singletons. So although it seems early for singletons, its just the right time for twins

After all, Im now at week 34, and I honestly don't know how much longer my body is going to take this pregnancy, I couldnt imagine another 6 weeks!!

12. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tamaras @ Apr 12 2009, 06:53 AM) [snapback]1269701[/snapback]
    Hmm? Sounds early for inducing?
    Though 38 weeks was considered full term, so technically it's not *too* early, but if the babies are going to stay in another week or two then why not leave them?
    Let us know what your Dr. says!

I agree. My cousin's baby still needed NICU time at 38 weeks so I think 37 is still to early to induce.

13. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

My MFM wont enduce before 38 weeks, so i have one more to go still.

37W1D mono/di boys

14. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

I am having a repeat c/s. Before we found out that I was expecting twins, the OB had said that we would schedule the c/s for week 39. I asked if that would be changing when we found out about the twins, and she said we would move it up to week 38, but not before that. Obviously, if they need to come out before then, it'll happen- but she won't plan to take them out until week 38- but that's just our hospital's policy.

15. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My doctor's policy is to induce at 37 weeks too.. for mono-di twins. She said that the risk of the placenta failing after that is pretty high.

16. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Full term is the same for twins and singletons, so 40 weeks is 40 weeks and 37 weeks + is considered full term. My doctor wanted to wait until 38 weeks + (my hospital won't induce / schedule c/s for non-medical reasons prior to that), because past that date there is no real benefit in staying in the womb and the risks are increasing. It's a balancing act. I do find 37 weeks a little early, especially since not all babies grow at the same rate and they may be on the smaller side especially compared to a 37-week singleton ... you'd rather keep them baking, at least for another week or so (assuming everybody is doing well).

I like this study: http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_...n_delivery.html.

It shows quite a big difference in outcome for 36-37 weekers compared to 37-39 weekers ...

17. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, 38 weeks is more common than 37 weeks with twins. It does vary though; I went to two different OB practices during my pregnancy and saw a total of 7 doctors, and they gave me a range (of when they'd induce/schedule a section) ranging from 36-37 weeks, to 38-39 weeks. The statistic I've heard most often though is that 38 weeks is the point where twins often start to do worse in the womb so it's better to just get them out. So I had a scheduled induction at 37w6d.

18. traceyp

traceyp Active Member

I'm in Canada and my doc has said that she will induce during the 37th week (this is her practice protocol). I think I will talk to her more about it though as all of the medical journal article I've read really state a big difference between 37 and 38 weeks with 38 weekers doing better. She's the doc of course but I would like to talk to her more about the rationale. She did say though that if a mom insists on going for 40 weeks she will support it but she doesn't like it. I hope we can play by ear a bit and let it depend on how big the babes are and how they're doing closer to that date.

19. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37 weeks. My doctor felt confident that my girls were healthy enough and I was growing out of control and could barely move..so he said if I made it to 37 weeks I could be induced. I in fact was, and my girls were 5.4 and 5.7 and perfectly healthy.

20. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

That's something new....I've never heard that but my Dr Induced me at 36 weeks but only because I was miserable and my babies were big....

21. jani100

jani100 New Member

i'm in canada and have mono/di twins. doc says 36-37 weeks - uterine stretching, placental insufficiency, and fetal death after that are higher.

22. melissa26

melissa26 Well-Known Member

my dr told me from the begninning he was inducing at 37 weeks and that he wouldn't stop labor after 36 weeks

23. laura87

laura87 Active Member

QUOTE(jasonsmommy @ Apr 12 2009, 07:10 AM) [snapback]1269716[/snapback]
    Yes, my doc said 37 weeks was great. I was scheduled for the section on that day. After 37 weeks, they really don't thrive anymore in the womb. Just not enough room.

Also 36 weeks is considered Full Term for twins not 40 weeks.

My doc. said the same thing (i live in canada) I am not going past 37 weeks, I have a scheduled section at 37.5 weeks and he said that's PLENTY long enough//

24. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I'm also from Canada and my Dr. scheduled the c-section for 37w3d. I was really nervous because all my singletons came at 40-41.5 weeks. So I thought that 37w3d would be way too early. But the boys were perfect! No problems at all and even weighed in at 6lbs 14oz and 7lbs 11oz.