Induction scheduled for Monday!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sbailey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sbailey

sbailey Well-Known Member

Okay, I just came from the doctor. I am 3 cm dil. meas. 48 weeks :) He went ahead and scheduled an induction for Monday.

I am very nervous....I know I really wanted one but now that I am going to have one I am scared. I guess I just need some encouraging words. Plus, I have NO IDEA what to expect. He said he is going to to another ultra sound to check the post. If they are both head down, I want to try for a vg delivery.

Shannon

2. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

That is great! Good luck!!!!

Dianna

3. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

oh GL! i cant wait to hear your birth story and see pics!

4. mamaleah

mamaleah Well-Known Member

With my first 2 children (not twins)I had to have Pitocin, 1st lots of contractions, not dilating - 2nd water broke no contractions. Both healthy "normal" vaginal births. First thing you need to do is relax and get excited your babies will be here soon.
    My experience with Pitocin is basically this, it works quickly and intensely, they need to play around a little with dosage to get you doing what they want, so it is a little bit of a roller coaster they will speed them up/slow them down and monitor the babies through it all. I did get an epidural both times because contractions were very intense (I've heard they are more so with Petocin, don't know why). I found the best way to deal with the roller coaster effect was to walk around (before epidural) it seemed to make the pain more manageable for me and take my focus off the anticipation, I also was allowed to sit a jacuzzi tub that was in my hos room, if you can do this I really suggest it, even a hot shower can help. They let me wheel the petocin machine right in with me!!! All in all it is labor it will hurt, but you can handle it and the outcome is amazing!!!!!!
    The bright side of an induction is you will be in the hospital from start to finish surrounded by people that know what they are doing and not at home concerened with every pain wondering if things are ok and when you should leave for the hospital.
    Good Luck!!!! :a_smil09:
    Leah

5. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

Oh good luck, and take deep breaths… it will be a faint memory soon… I cant wait to hear your birth story and see pictures… LOVE the pictures…
    Elizabeth

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Best of luck to you Monday! Can't wait to read the birth story!

7. sbailey

You guys are awesome!! Your words really help to calm me down. Thanks so much!!

Shannon :p

8. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

Good luck on Monday! My DS was induced. All I can say is that the contractions come a little faster and harder than a normal labor, but it was not too bad! Once they break your water, they will practically be there! I had my son completely natural, (other than actually being induced). I went in at 6:00 am and he was born at 12:29 pm. It was great! You will be fine and when it is all said and done, you will have 2 beautiful babies to hold! Congratulations and I can't wait to hear your story!

9. Mrs. Johnny

Mrs. Johnny Well-Known Member

Good-Luck Shannon!! You must be feeling all kinds of emotions right now! You can do it!!! :) You sound
    like you have reached a good term with the babies! I bet your sooo excited too!! Good-luck, I will say a prayer for
    you!

Tina

10. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I ended up being induced with my two older children. It was fine, nothing to be scared of. Good luck you will do fine.

11. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Yay you made it!! :banana: Good Luck and let us know how everything goes!! All your hard work has paid off!!!

12. MARYLANE

MARYLANE Well-Known Member

We're going to be induced almost on the same day! If nothing happens I'll go on Monday evening for prostaglandin gel application and will be induced on Tuesday at 38 weeks. It was the same plan for my DD and I got induced with Pitocin around noon. It took some time to dilate and then for DD to progress down the birth canal (they ultimately used the vaccum because there was meconium, sign of fetal distress), so my DD was born around 11pm. Frankly, it was fine. The pain from the contractions, which was intense, went away with the epidural. I actually enjoyed the experience and hope I can deliver vaginally this time too. One piece of advice, eat well before going because once you're there you probably won't be allowed to.

Good luck!

13. natasha163

natasha163 Well-Known Member

goodluck shannon! How exciting!! I still have 6 weeks to my c sect...wish i was where you were!! Im sooo impatient to meet my girls, and you are almost there!! Congrats!

My 2 boys were both induced, first (due to high blood press and prot in urine) with only prostaglandin gel (did the trick on its own) and took roughly 9 hours from feeling menstrual cramps to delivery.

My 2nd son was induced with pitocin (due to waters breaking and no contractions) pitocin was introduced at 4.30 and i had had him by 6.30. Contractions were very intnense, coming one right on top of the other for 2 hours, in hind sight i should have demanded that they turn the damn stuff down, i went from 2cm to 10cm and delivered in 2 hours, no drugs (OUCH).

Every experience is different though, labour of course hurts, but if you are feeling etremely uncomfortable from go to whoa, as i was, i'd maybe get them to adjust the rate.

You will be fine, cant wait to hear your birth story and see your pics!! Good luck!!

14. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

Congratulations! You are almost there.

Both my boys were induced at 39 weeks for my medical reasons. I had a midwife who started the process with misoprostil suppositories placed on my cervix. Then as I began to dilate, they broke my waters. I think with DS#1 I eventually had pitocin after the epidural. Can't remember with DS#2. Both times it was fine. I labored to 8 cm without the epi the 2nd time. I should have gone all the way as he was born 15 mins after getting the epi. Oh well.

Good luck!

15. sbailey

Okay, I have two questions:

1. Can I eat before going for my induction?
    2. Any ideas on how to pass the time?

Thanks for all the encouraging words!!

Shannon :)

16. cynthia502

cynthia502 Well-Known Member

I would recommend eating very lightly (depending on what time your induction is). Your doc should recommend what he/she thinks is appropriate. After you get to the hospital, all you will be able to have is ice chips most likely. My experience: Baby #3 I had a dr's appt on my due date and was still at 3 cm (was there for a couple of weeks). He told me to go to the hospital for an induction that day. My appt was at 11am, by the time I got checked in to the hospital and checked again at 1pm, I was at 4cm. Looks like this baby didn't want to be induced. They gave me an epi and a small dose of pictocin anyway. At 4:08pm, Justin was born. It wasn't bad at all. Babies 1 and 2 for me needed no induction though. Good luck to you!!! My doc gave me the epi before I was even in pain, so that helped a lot!!! We are anxiously awaiting your birth story!!!

17. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Good luck Shannon; can't wait to read your story! Try not to worry about the induction; mine was perfect with DD1. WEnt in, got hooked up, started laboring and out she came 3 hours later! As easy as giving birth could be. You'll do great!

18. amybucalo

amybucalo Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK SHANNON!!!!!!!!!!! I have 12 days to go, so I'll be anxiously waiting to hear your story!

19. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I was already dilated some and didn't need the gel so my induction appointment was early in the morning. I ate a normal dinner and just had a cup of juice and a piece of toast in the morning (was too nervous to really eat anyway). They'll hook you up to the glucose so it isn't like you don't get any calories while you labor and if labor upsets your stomach, you'll be glad you didn't scarf down scrambled eggs and bacon.

I was "being induced" forever (24+ hours with failure to progress but no fetal distress)... it seemed like it flew by. It's hard to get bored when you have someone visiting every 10 minutes needing to check something. After the epidural, I dozed off a bit between visits.

20. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

21. sbailey

I read your brith story and posted on your blog. VERY INSPIRATIONAL!! Thank you for sharing.

Shannon