Induction Stories

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by srcrothers, Apr 27, 2009.

1. srcrothers

srcrothers Member

Hi all! I am almost 31 weeks pregnant and both babies have been head down for the last month or so. I am crossing every body part hoping that they will stay that way until the end and I can attempt a vaginal delivery. Honestly, I had kind of been expecting to need a c-section, so now I am trying to mentally prepare for a vag delivery in the hopes I can have one. I am TERRIFIED of the whole birthing experience and wish that it could be super easy with no complications- ie. I go into labor on my own when I am far enough along and have a quick labor and delivery, but I know I need to be realistic. I have heard a few stories of induction and am wondering how many twin moms are induced and if being induced really makes your labor and birth experience harder and more painful. I am super scared of the pain of child birth and really don't want it to be worse due to being induced. Any induction stories, or even if you just went into labor on your own, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I was fully induced with the twins, meaning they used meds to start labor that hadn't started at all. I started labor with my oldest, but didn't progress and was given Pitocin to move it along. That was my hardest and longest labor. With my 2nd, I never went into labor on my own, so at 42 weeks, the Dr. broke my water. That was all it took, 20 min later I was in labor and 20 min after that at 8 cm. Very fast labor (4 hours total). My 3rd child, I started labor on my own and didn't need any induction help at all. I don't think my labor with my girlies was any harder than any of the others. I went to the hospital at 6am, and had Sydney at about 7:30pm, and Sabrina a little over an hour later. Spent a lot of time walking around, trying to get things moving. I personally have a very low pain tolerance, so have epidurals. I just end up losing control and hyperventilating, which doesn't do any good for getting those babies born. I have a low pain tolerance when it comes to things other than child birth, though, too. I just know that about myself. If you're similar, talk to your OB about it. I joke about being a weenie, because I just don't handle pain well.

3. jranger05

jranger05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Dielle @ Apr 27 2009, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1290533[/snapback]
    I joke about being a weenie, because I just don't handle pain well.

That is me to a tee. I am always calling myself a weiner. Especially for blood tests and iv's. Its funny cuz I delivered our first with no pain killers, altho they gave me Entonox ( laughing gas) but only for about a minute because I got really disorientated from it and started to lose it. SO they took that away. Im not gonna sugar coat it for you, the pain is intense, and can't be compared to anything I myself have ever gone through. But in it's own way, it's so worth it. Once I delivered my DS, I had this intense euphoria that took over and I didn't even feel her stitching me up ( i tore, but not in the usual way, I tore up and tore what my DH refers to as the Love Button.. TMI i know!). I have pictures of the labour, and it almost looks like I was totally drugged up once he came out because of the euphoria. I dont know if its true or not, but I've heard some people say that the more natural the birth the more intense the euphoria. The other thing I noticed about my labour was even tho the contractions are intense, the downtime between them was really enjoyable. I know its different for everyone, but that was my first delivery experience. Sorry, no induction, I went into spontaneous labour. But Im coming up on my induction here in just over a week, so Ill let you know how that goes .. if I end up being induced.

4. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I was induced and it went wonderfully! this was my 1st pregnancy and both babies were head down.
    I showed up at the hospital at 37weeks. I was already dilated to 5 and 100% effaced but I was not in labor. They hooked me up to pitocin at 10am...by 2pm the monitor showed contractions every minute but I was laughing giggling etc. I felt fine. the nurse was in disbelief. (At this point still no drugs).

My OB then came at 2pm and broke my water. I felt pain then. I got some stadol in my IV and it made me feel awful. I felt tired and drugged but I could still feel the contractions thoroughly.
    At 4pm I was 6cm so decided on the epi. The anestethiologist had to wait because I was puking (happens in transition going from 8-10cm). He put the epi in, I laid down and the nurse went to put the catheder in when she realized I was 10cm. They took me down to the OR at 430ish. I delivered both babies by 7pm. So the total thing was really from 2pm-7pm. I had a fast/quick easy recovery. IN fact I delivered wed night and was ready to leave thursday morning (according to my doc) but since my babies had to stay till friday I stayed one more day too :)

Things could not have went better! In fact in hindsight, If I knew puking happens in transition I probably would have never got that epidural. Think positive!!!!!! Thats what I did :)

5. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37.5 weeks and it was a lovely experience. I had the IV put in and my water broken around 9 in the morning. I had been walking around at about 3 cm for a week or two. I labored all day without pain and when the contractions became painful (around 4 in the afternoon) they checked and found I was already 8 cm dialated! I had an epidural around 6 in the evening and my boys were born just after 10 after only 23 minutes of pushing. Baby A was head down and Baby B was breech, but turned at the last minute. They were born 8 minutes apart. I was treated like gold at the hospital because I was having twins - I had my own nurse who was amazing. I would have tried to skip the epidural, but since Baby B was breech, there was always a chance of a C section for the second baby so it made sense to be ready.

Good luck! Go in with a positive attitude and not too many unrealistic expectations. A labour doula might be helpful (I didn't have one, but I might hire one this time around).

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Also induced at 38w2d. Very smooth and good experience. Had a (large) child before, and was already 4 1/2 cm dilated when I came in (no labor though). Got Pitocin at 6 am, first twin was out at 10.32 am (4 pushes) and the second one at 10.36 am (breech extraction).

7. kat5682

kat5682 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this question! I have a scan in a week and a half and depending on the results they might induce me... and the same thoughts were running through my head!

8. srcrothers

srcrothers Member

Thanks so much for all your stories ladies! It sounds like most of you had a positive experience overall, I hope I can say the same when my time comes! I welcome any more stories!

QUOTE(E&Msmom @ Apr 27 2009, 05:16 PM) [snapback]1290628[/snapback]
    In fact in hindsight, If I knew puking happens in transition I probably would have never got that epidural.

E&Msmom, why do you say you wouldn't have gotten the epidural, is it because after transition you were so close to the end? Just curious!

Thanks again everyone!