Induction stories?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by praises1139, Dec 10, 2011.

1. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

Well after preterm labor and 3 mos of bedrest, now we are thinking induction is in my near future!!! My Dr mentioned earlier in the pregnancy that she wouldn't want me to go past 38wks, which is now one week away. We haven't talked about scheduling one because we didn't expect to need to and then last weekend my Dr's father had a massive stroke so at my appt this week I forgot all about asking. Guess I will find out Tues though.
    Has anyone been induced and how did it go? I've heard it works better if you are already dilated. I am about 80% effaced, dilated 2cm.

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I was induced with both my pregnancies. With the twins, I was about 90% effaced and maybe 1 cm dilated. They started me on a pitocin drip at about 8 in the morning, broke Baby A's water around 9, contractions were strong by around 1 pm, pushing started around 4:20 and they were born at 4:43 & 4:49. I had an easy delivery, and since I was induced the second time as well, I guess I had an easy labor! It's all I know. Everything went smoothly and I had no complications.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I was also induced with both of my pregnancies. DD1 was induced at 40 +5 due to pre-eclampsia. My labor with her was much longer than with the twins. I labored for 19 hrs. with her and needed 2 doses of the prostiglandin gel along with pitocin. I only pushed for about 20 minutes before she was born. With the twins, I was induced basically because I was DONE. With them, I think I was 80% and 1-2 cm. when my Dr. gave me the prostiglandin gel. I started having immediate contractions and never needed pitocin actually. I labored for about 6 hrs. with them and pushed 2 times for A and 3x's for B. My first labor was more difficult in that it took a lot longer and I had to wait that much longer to dilate and get my epidural. Everything went smoothly for both deliveries, no complications.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Can you ask for a stretch and sweep to try to get things going naturally? I was at 3cm and 80% effaced with my girls at 38+1, got the S&S and went into labour on my own about 36 hours later. My abour was a lot longer and less intense than it had been with my son but I think it was because my water was intact until the very end.

I was induced with my son but they only had to break my water to get things going (I was 1.5cm and 50%)...he was out less than 4 hours later, lol. He was quite overdue though (41+6) so once he had a little encouragement he was good to go! It was intense but there were no complications. I was able to have unmedicated, vaginal deliveries both times.

5. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I was fine with my induction. I hear that a lot of woman say that its more painful...but really I didn't think that. My pitocin was in at 8am (I was already at 2cm) they broke my water an hour later at 9am. I had the epidural at 12pm and the kids were born after 21 hours of labour, hour of pushing and then a c-section. I don't think that the c-section had anything to do with the induction though.

6. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

[quote name='E's 3' date='12 December 2011 - 06:29 AM' timestamp='1323689386' post='1841736']
    Can you ask for a stretch and sweep to try to get things going naturally? I was at 3cm and 80% effaced with my girls at 38+1, got the S&S and went into labour on my own about 36 hours later. My abour was a lot longer and less intense than it had been with my son but I think it was because my water was intact until the very end.

[/quote]

What is a stretch and sweep?

7. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

It's where your OB (or midwife) uses their finger to separate the babies sac from the lower wall of the uterus in an attempt to stimulate labour. I had it done with my son when I was overdue as well but it didn't work (I was only about 1.5cm and maybe 50% so I don't think I was "ready") but with the girls I was further along. A lot of women say they found it very painful but I didn't (I know I have a very high tolerance for pain though as I had all my babies naturally), uncomfortable yes, but worth it to try to avoid induction :). GL!

8. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

Is that the same thing as getting your membranes stripped? I'd heard that phrase before...

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, same thing. It's also sometimes called rimming the cervix.

10. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was induced at 38 weeks and 2 days (on a Monday after Thanksgiving). I was dialated from week 32 onwards (2 cm at 32 and 33 weeks, 3 cm at 34 and 35 weeks, 4 cm at 36 and 37 weeks) and I was 4 1/2 cm at 38 weeks when I went in. They started the Pitocin at 6 am, I was complete 4 hours and a little bit later, pushed 4 times for A, and B was born 4 minutes later by breech extraction. Much better than my first, which was a 28-hour ordeal. I was only 1 cm with her for only a week (and she was 9 days late).

For me induction was fast, painless, smooth ... without any problems!

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I was induced at 39 wks "due to my blood pressure rising"... well, babies weren't ready. by 2p I hadn't progressed, maybe to 4cm, but had come in at 2 cm I think. anyway, I was really sad that I "had to have" a c-section, and really wish that I hadn't had to be induced... and that my dr. would have been more supportive of waiting. I'm not a medical professional, so maybe what they did was fine, talking to others about it now it seems that they didn't give me long enough to try to labor on my own...

I'm glad to see that many moms here had induction and were able to still avoid a c-section.

Btw I've since been educated that most inductions don't result in a vaginal birth... and that the fastest way to an emergency c-section or a ruptured uterus is b/c of being induced... make sure to ask about this type of issue with your doctor to discuss it and educate yourself.

Good luck! and congrats for getting through the threat of preterm labor! that's awesome!!

12. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I was induced with my single and he was born 3 hours later. I had no pain with any of my labors and deliveries and the twins was a 17hr labor.

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I was induced with my son. I was 90% effaced and 2 cm and had been for two weeks, little turkey just wasn't coming without help. It was relatively easy for me. They started me on pitocin about mid-morning, around 6 or so I received my epideral, at 11 my water was broken, then a little after midnight he was born. I really can not remember it being bad at all. I was able to visit with my family throughout the day.

I went into labor naturally with the girls and had to have a c-section.

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Would love to read that report! Could you post a link?

15. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Induction does carry a set of risks and so does continuing the pregnancy. Both options also carry their own sets of benefits. It's worth chatting with your care provider about both options & deciding which set of risks & benefits you're most comfortable with. Best of luck with your decision!

1 person likes this.
  16. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was induced with 2 out of 4 of my pregnancies (including the twins) and all went perfectly well and all babies were delivered vaginally with no problems (and Luke, my baby B, was delivered breech). I was not really dilated at all before being induced either time. Having 2 other pregnancies to compare it to, I can say that, for me at least, the induced deliveries were no more difficult or painful than the two where I delivered without being induced.

17. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37w1d with the twins. I was already 3cm and 100%. They started the pitocin around 1pm, I got the epidural shortly afterwards, they broke my water when I was 5cm around 4-5pm, and I was fully dilated around midnight. Baby A was born after 1 hour of pushing and Baby B was born 15 minutes later.

18. rbx2_2012

rbx2_2012 Member

Thanks to all for these stories. Some are re-assuring, some are not, but it's good to have the info. I am 37w 1d and I will find out tomorrow what day next week the doctors want to induce me. I am REALLY hoping to go into labor on my own because it seems everyone I know that is induced ends up with a c-section. I'm not one of those women who is going to pout and cry if things don't go according to my "plan" (ha ha), but after watching several friends recover from c-sections, I feel I'd rather avoid one if possible. Any further stories are welcome!!

On a side note, can I just say how refreshing this site is? It is nice to participate in mature and responsible discussion. I can't believe the time I wasted on Baby Center, wow...