Induction Update

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by irrelevancy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. irrelevancy

irrelevancy Well-Known Member

I posted about a week ago about being induced and really appreciate all the feedback I received.

After spending a long time on the phone with two midwives from my practice, and then another hour with the doctor/nurse from the high risk unit at the hospital where I'll be delivering, I managed to put off the induction (for now), and I'll be going in tomorrow for another ultrasound and to "discuss" induction. On the phone, the doctor said the risk in waiting till Monday or Tuesday would be small, but he did spend some time going through a long list of very unlikely complications that can happen after 38 weeks.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who encouraged me to follow my gut and do what I feel is right. It is not easy to stand up to the "professionals" and question the protocols and/or go against their advice. I asked a LOT of questions and none of the answers convinced me that induction would be any less risky than waiting a few days. It was a really hard decision to make, and I think we are conditioned to think that our doctors know us better than we know ourselves - a scary proposition!

My midwife suggested that we try a "stretch and sweep" which may get things going if I'm favourable, and if not, it won't hurt...and we'll take it from there!

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Hopefully the sweep and stretch works and you wont have to be induced. Godd luck!

3. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Glad you wer able to talk to them and make your own decision. Hope things go well.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: i think a stretch & sweep sounds like a great idea. keep us posted. :good:

5. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

Well done you. I hope your appointment goes well and you have lots of positive vibes happening for those babies. Sooooo close now!!!

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Sounds great! Your girls just might share my girls birthday after all :). I hope the stretch and sweep works!!! Keep us posted and GL!!!

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here's hoping things start progressing naturally.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Glad you were able to help in the decision making.

9. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Here's a study that may make you feel better about your choice! I know it's a scary one (I remember.)

http://www.uptodate.com/home/content/topic.do?topicKey=labordel/5122

10. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

:good:

Way to go on sticking with your guns!