Induction Update

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by irrelevancy, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. irrelevancy

    irrelevancy Well-Known Member

    I posted about a week ago about being induced and really appreciate all the feedback I received.

    After spending a long time on the phone with two midwives from my practice, and then another hour with the doctor/nurse from the high risk unit at the hospital where I'll be delivering, I managed to put off the induction (for now), and I'll be going in tomorrow for another ultrasound and to "discuss" induction. On the phone, the doctor said the risk in waiting till Monday or Tuesday would be small, but he did spend some time going through a long list of very unlikely complications that can happen after 38 weeks.

    I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who encouraged me to follow my gut and do what I feel is right. It is not easy to stand up to the "professionals" and question the protocols and/or go against their advice. I asked a LOT of questions and none of the answers convinced me that induction would be any less risky than waiting a few days. It was a really hard decision to make, and I think we are conditioned to think that our doctors know us better than we know ourselves - a scary proposition!

    My midwife suggested that we try a "stretch and sweep" which may get things going if I'm favourable, and if not, it won't hurt...and we'll take it from there!
  2. Tamaralynn

    Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

    Hopefully the sweep and stretch works and you wont have to be induced. Godd luck!
  3. mhardman

    mhardman Well-Known Member

    Glad you wer able to talk to them and make your own decision. Hope things go well.
  4. miss_bossy18

    miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

    :hug: i think a stretch & sweep sounds like a great idea. keep us posted. :good:
  5. KStorey

    KStorey Well-Known Member

    Well done you. I hope your appointment goes well and you have lots of positive vibes happening for those babies. Sooooo close now!!!
  6. E's 3

    E's 3 Well-Known Member

    Sounds great! Your girls just might share my girls birthday after all :). I hope the stretch and sweep works!!! Keep us posted and GL!!!
  7. cheezewhiz24

    cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

    Here's hoping things start progressing naturally.
  8. summerfun

    summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

    :hug: Glad you were able to help in the decision making.
  9. genagoodrow

    genagoodrow Well-Known Member

    Here's a study that may make you feel better about your choice! I know it's a scary one (I remember.)
  10. Robynsegg

    Robynsegg Well-Known Member


    Way to go on sticking with your guns!
Similar Threads Forum Date
Induction update...ah the irony Pregnancy Help Feb 21, 2007
Induction date set Pregnancy Help Jul 16, 2013
Induction date- almost there! Pregnancy Help Mar 16, 2013
Induction set for Friday Pregnancy Help Jun 11, 2012
Pitocin Induction after VBA2C? Pregnancy Help Jun 10, 2012

Share This Page