Ingredients in kids lip smackers/nail polish

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dtomecko, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

As I was shopping for little stocking stuffers and accessories for my daughter I decided to look on the back of one of the hello kitty nail polish sets in the store. It said under the ingredients things like "may contain red lake 7" (I could have the terminology off, because I don't have it in front of me now). But my first thought was the old red m&m's and how they were supposed to cause cancer or something (like in the 70's/early 80's)? I don't know if it was just a myth or what, so I just looked it up again, and it said something like there was concern about red dye #2 containing posion, which wasn't used in the m&m's, but they pulled them anyway to ease people's minds.

Anyway, the more and more I read the back of these things - any sort of chapstick/lip smacker, little kid nail polish, they all said things like "may contain...." with a bunch of foreign sounding dyes and chemicals. I still haven't painted my daughter's fingernails because she has a nervous habit of putting her fingers in her mouth. But I haven't avoided the lip smackers. Am I being paranoid about this stuff now? If it was something that bad, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it that way, right?

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

WRONG!
    Cosometics are basically unregulated. Because they are not for "consumption" they are allowed to put all kinds of toxic crap in them.

You'd be better off buying some natural lip gloss like burt's bees brand or similiar.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is a fairly decent brand of nail polish.

Piggy Polish

We use Neutrogena Naturals and Burt's Bees for chapstick.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

OMG Bex - I want some of that Piggy Polish!

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ulta baybee. Do you have one up there?

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I make our own chapstick with beeswax, oil & peppermint essential oil specifically because the ingredients on the store bought stuff wig me right out.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Here too.

We use Burts Bees and piggy polish (found at our Ulta too!)! I do admit, we only paint toes here....they both stick their fingers in their mouths way to much and I HATE the look of chipped polish (which is why I dont wear it).