intense low back pain?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by smitch, Jun 26, 2008.

1. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Anyone else have intense low back pain/swelling early on? (Near end of first trimester)

Don't know if it's just because I sit at a desk all day long, or if it's just normal twin prego stuff....

2. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

The intense low back pain should be looked into. Not to scare you but it is a sign of preterm labor. Mine never was, but lots of others were. The swelling however is normal as long as your blood pressure is good. I would just call the dr and see what they think. It is always better safe than sorry. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Jen

3. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

QUOTE(smitch @ Jun 26 2008, 03:15 PM) [snapback]847665[/snapback]
    Anyone else have intense low back pain/swelling early on? (Near end of first trimester)

Don't know if it's just because I sit at a desk all day long, or if it's just normal twin prego stuff....

I'd definitely call your doc.... just in case.

If it feels better when you lie down, it *could* be back strain.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I'd call our doc, just to be safe. Low back pain can be a sign of PTL.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I agree 110% with calling your doctor!!

6. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

I don't think it could be PTL....I'm only 10 wks, 5 days along.

Have swelling in my low back and hips...will call the doc though, just to be on safe side.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad you will call you OB, I think it will ease your mind.

My lower back pain was associated with PTL, but I was 25w at that point. Not sure at 10w.

8. lukesmom325

lukesmom325 Well-Known Member

I had a LOT of lower back pain early in my pregnancy (weeks 8-13) which then led to severe sciatica. . .I saw a chiropractor once a week (unfortunately couldn't afford going more often) and the chiropractor helped A LOT. . . I was soo MISERABLE and couldn't handle the amount of pain I was in but thank goodness that pain has subsided greatly ( I am now 18 weeks). . .I still have occasional sciatic pain and lower back pain but nothing like it was in the beginning. . .I have back discs in my lower back anyway, but didn't have any of these problems with my 1st singleton pregnancy. . .ICE is great for it and helped me sleep.
    I was told that the same hormones that get us ready to stretch and give birth make back muscles looser and weaker. . .

Hope this helps!

Laura

9. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

My low back pain started at 5 weeks. It was down in my pelvis, mostly on each side of my spine. As it turns out, it was a twin pregnancy thing--from the high hormone levels my ligaments holding the pelvis stable were already loosening! I could tell it wasn't just muscular, it was in the joints. There are a bunch of other threads around about SPD, which is what that pain is for me. Here's a recent one: there is a name for my hurting... Read the article in that first post and see if it describes your pain, that'll give you something to go on and a way to let your OB know the problem.

I saw my OB and then a physical therapist about it. The PT recommended ice for the swelling and pain (not heat!), gave me some exercises to work on strengthening my core muscles, and told me I need to look into getting a maternity belt. I'm still looking for a comfortable one, though!

10. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Just to update everyone who replied to me regarding the back pain, and anyone else who is just curious...

I received a response from my OB, and he said that it sounded like pretty normal stretching/growing pains, especially for carrying twins.

I'm actually feeling a little better now. My back still hurts a little, and sometimes it is worse than other times, but the swelling has gone down quite a bit.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their insight/input. I really appreciate it!

11. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I had a lot of back pain early on too. My OB recommended a belly support band. I wore one every day and night from the first trimester on, and I really think it helped. I ordered mine from Babycenter.com. If your back keeps bothering you, you might want to give one a try.

12. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jessie! I'll look into that.

QUOTE(JessiePlus2 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]853011[/snapback]
    I had a lot of back pain early on too. My OB recommended a belly support band. I wore one every day and night from the first trimester on, and I really think it helped. I ordered mine from Babycenter.com. If your back keeps bothering you, you might want to give one a try.

13. bmatlock

bmatlock Well-Known Member

i'm twelve weeks and 1 day today and i have bad sciatica at times....never had it before in my life! laying down helps...i've always heard that backpain doesn't occur until the 3rd trimester so it's nice to hear that with twins, it can happen much sooner. not that any of it's fun, huh?
    good luch with your back, smitch...
    beth