Interesting ultrasound - any thoughts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by stbmomof3, May 7, 2007.

1. stbmomof3

stbmomof3 Well-Known Member

Okay, I am kicking myself for not asking the question at the peri's office. But, at my appointment on Friday they looked at Makaila's heart for a long time! The tech didn't say anything, but said she was going to see if the doctor wanted me to go in another room or come and look at the ultrasound with her.
    When the doctor came in he looked at the ultrasound images very quickly and said everything looked good - but he didn't take a close look.
    Even dh said she looked at the heart for a really long time and kept coming back to it. I know I should have said something and really don't know why I didn't.
    Do you think I could call the office back and see if something was wrong or just wait until I go to my OB in 2 weeks since they send him the report?

2. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

If it will keep you from worrying for the next two weeks, go ahead and call them!

My techs sometimes took a little longer to get all the angles and pictures they wanted. My OB was always much quicker when he reviewed them. That said, the tech told me once that she just had a hard time getting the required measurements of the heart and that I shouldn't worry. I'm thinking that was around 17-18 weeks. They had me come back right at 20 for a repeat so that she could double check everything relating to the heart. All was fine.

Good luck, if you want to call...don't hesitate, just do it!

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Maybe they found a small abnormality like a murmur. I would call because it won't do you any good for you to worry about till the ob appt

4. mhouse

mhouse Well-Known Member

if you are worried, i would call and ask

chances are if the peri saw something, he would tell you there...

5. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

eh, just call for piece of mind. There are things that could present themselves but might not be significant and something they just want to watch. That's happened to me plenty of times. It could be nothing, my tech often takes a really long time and the peri comes and gets it done in half the time.

6. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

oops, sorry about the multiple posts... don't know why that happened

7. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry yourself too much. I know at my 16 week u/s it took the u/s tech a while to get a good picture of the four chambers of the heart. It took her a while on each baby. I think when they are that little and they are moving a lot it is hard to see all four chambers easily. I have learned though that if you are concerned about anything just call, it will put your mind at ease. Plus I think the peri would have said something if anything seemed even slightly abnormal. The tech was probably just making sure that was a good enough picture for the peri to be able to see everything.

8. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I always found that it was good to encourage the tech to explain exactly what he/she is doing when they do it.... "So what are you looking at now? What measurements do you look for?" Just peppered in here an there, not so much so that you are annoying or distracting...but enough so that you get the information you are looking for. Some techs are naturally more chatty...but even the quiet ones will usually explain what they are doing if you ask. And sometimes they will just let you know then that they are having a hard time seeing or measuring something... I really wouldn't worry..if they saw something significant they would have told you. I have two friend's whose babies had heart issues detected around the same gestation that you are at..and they were told immediately so they could go for follow up u/s.... They don't usually wait around with major issues.... still it wouldn't hurt to call if it bothers you to wait to talk to your ob....