Interrupted naps

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by FGMH, Jul 24, 2014.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our baby is 2 months old now and we are slowly getting into a routine for naps and bedtimes. For naps I went with the flow a lot more with the twins at this age but the big kids need some predictable mom time so I am trying for less catnapping and 3 to 4 longer naps during the day for this baby. But we have a problem that I don't really know what to do about:

After nursing baby often settles down for a nap and when he enters the deep sleep phase and totally relaxes he poops or starts passing gas and that wakes him up crying so much that patting him a little will not soothe him back to sleep. Instead his obviously painful tummy starts a whole new cycle of changing him, rocking him and settling him into deep sleep. The big kids are normally great about waiting for me to settle him once, but the second time round things get more difficult, especially if we have just started an activity that I can only do while baby naps. He is a bit colicky which is absolutely normal at this age and seems to do best with gas and pooping when he is really relaxed, i.e. sleeping or in the late stages of a nursing session.

Any tips for less interruptions at nap time - except for he will grow out of it?

2. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Have you tried giving him some gas drops before his feedings so that he dosent get so much gas? I know exactly how you feel. My Twins have GERD and some colic so they wake up really fussy with gas pains exactly one hour after their feedings. So much for naps!!

Also, try puting him in a swing/bouncer that has an incline. The girls seem to nap better when they are inclined although they still wake up for a few minutes but go back to sleep.

I have also found that when you tilt them to the side on their inclined swing/bouncer they pass the gas a lot easier and faster so they fall asleep quicker.

1 person likes this.
  3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Will he sleep while you're wearing him? Maybe the second time around after changing and settling you could nap him on you so you could continue your activity with the older children?

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

He loves napping when I am wearing him provided I keep moving. So far he usually wakes up if I sit down for more than a minute or two. So, outdoor activities would work well, craft projects or building Legos etc. would probably not, but I will give it a try. Thank you for reminding me, because he loves being worn.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My colicky one needed a good burping and no dairy to ease his pain. Perhaps your little guy is similar?

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sometimes with Emmett if he was napping in the wrap and I needed to sit, I'd sit on my yoga ball and bounce. That seemed to satisfy his need for movement. ;) It's not a perfect solution but may work for now. It got infinitely easier when I was able to start wearing him on my back as well (around 4 months).