intolerance to dairy and eggs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eagleswings216, Dec 12, 2010.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I have posted before about our boys and dairy intolerance. They have a delayed reaction (12 hours or more) to dairy with gastrointestinal problems (gas, stomach pain, not sleeping, etc.). At the pediatrician's advice, we are testing their tolerance with yogurt now that they are almost a year old - the good news is, it's been two days, and they seem fine so far (but I won't consider us out of the woods until we've been at it a week).

When they were having issues with yogurt and dairy around 7 months, we also stopped giving them eggs. For those of you who have had kids with dairy intolerance, were they also sensitive to eggs? And did they outgrow that along with the dairy? (they are also sensitive to soy, if that matters - we haven't tested that yet to see if they have outgrown that yet). I guess I'm wondering if we're looking at two separate issues, or if it's all related.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

One of my boys has a milk, egg and wheat allergy. I dont think they necessarily go together though. It could just be a coincidence.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't say so.. one of my boys had a milk intolerance and the other one had an egg intolerance. We are out of the woods with the milk thing and I think we're also out of the woods with the egg thing, but I am afraid to try.

4. eagleswings216

Have he outgrown the egg allergy? I was reading some online and it says some kids outgrow it, and some don't. But our boys also don't have a severe, immediate allergic reaction, which makes me think it is more of an intolerance than an allergy really.

Thankfully, I am pretty sure they are not allergic to wheat - they haven't had a lot of it because soy is hidden in a number of products that also have wheat, but they have had puffs, Cheerios, and small amounts of pasta and no problems. I really hope they outgrow the soy soon - that one is really tricky to avoid - I am scared to death to take them out to eat or let them eat from the carry-in family meals because I don't know exactly what is in everything, so I end up taking food along or adjusting their feeding times so they eat food I have made.

5. eagleswings216

Yeah, it's the trying that freaks me out, too. I'm pretty sure they haven't outgrown the soy yet - they got hold of something about a month ago that I later found out had soy in it (after they barely slept that night). But avoiding the eggs has been fairly easy - I don't do a whole lot of baking, and I've kept them on the baby cereal for their breakfast (it would be nice if they could have breakfast with us, though!). I guess I won't know until I try. But since I don't want to ruin DH's Christmas break from school and the boys' birthday and family Christmas meals with stomach pain, I'm going to wait until after the first of the year.