Intro to Multiples Class?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MusicalAli, Aug 6, 2011.

?

Would you attend a class if offered?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

If your hospital, doctor's office, twins club, etc. offered some type of intro to multiples class would you attend? Topics could include birth options, feeding options, useful "twin gear",tips for handling two babies, etc.

If you have attended such a class, could you share some of the topics that were discussed?

Thanks for your input!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We were discussing this at our last MoM meeting. Please let me know what you come up with- I'd be very interested to try it in my area.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

The hospital I delivered at offer a class just for those parents having multiples. My DH and I had every intention of going, but I was so tired by the end of the day that I ended up skipping it. I think it is a fantastic idea, especially for new moms, and really wished I had attended it. I'm sure it would have helped with a lot of questions we had early on.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't attend - there are multiples classes offered through our health region as well as through our local twins club. Looking back, I think it would have been worthwhile to have attended the twins club one. If nothing else it would have been nice to know more parents of multiples IRL during the first year.

Finding this forum ended up being my multiples class! :D

1 person likes this.
  5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

our hospital didn't offer one, so we went to a typical childbirth class...I think having a "meeting" with other multiple parents would have been more beneficial as I had NO idea what to expect since the twins were my first children...I've never felt so overwhelmed and helpless in my entire life!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know of any such class offered around here, but I certainly would have attended one if I knew of one. :good:

7. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Our hospital offered one but we didn't go. Maybe if we had been first time parents having twins it might have been more tempting, but with working and taking care of a 3 year old in the evenings, we just didn't have the time or energy to attend anything on a regular basis. :)

8. toni4veka

toni4veka Active Member

Our hospital offer different classes.We are gonna start with breastfeeding for twins,and after with other classes.I think that attending classes is very helpful.
    Hugs
    Vesna

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If there were such classes offered when I was pregnant with the twins, I definitely would have signed up.

10. lilybay

lilybay Well-Known Member

I wish I could find a multiples class nearby! I did take a breastfeeding class, and the RN was extremely helpful with extra info when I told her I was expecting twins, but I don't think we're even going to take a regular childbirth class, because the info can be so different for those having one versus those having multiples.

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Exactly this! :laughing:

I don't know if I would have attended. I'm not big on taking classes... maybe if it were known that we'd get to sit down and talk to other mom's of multiples and we'd get to ask questions and stuff... but if it was more of lecture type thing I would skip out on it.

Though I probably would have saved a bundle of $$$ had someone told me I did not need two of EVERYTHING! :faint:

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I would have gone to one, but the only one offered near me was an hour away, and by the time I learned about it, I was too big to comfortably travel that far and sit in a chair for a few hours at a time. A friend did give me her binder from the one she attended, and it was helpful -- not so much for specific solutions (since everyone has their own challenges), but at least in reassuring me that other people were going through this and they did survive! And that I wasn't crazy for thinking that having twins was way harder (and very different) than having just one baby.

We also went to a regular childbirth class, and that was pretty useless since I knew I was having a c/s already.

The most important class we did, though, was newborn care, which DH went to by himself because I was on bedrest already. It really helped his confidence, and the stuff that he taught me was a good reminder for me too (since teenage babysitting was a long time ago)!

13. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I voted no because I am not a going to classes-person. I did not sign up for any classes during the pregnancy, and if I had I could not have gone because I went on bedrest so early.

But I still think it is a great idea to offer such a class. Advice on equipment, i.e. what to buy and what to buy two of and what not to buy, and breastfeeding advice would have been on the top of my list if I had attended such a class.