is anyone's LO on Pulmicort?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mommylaura, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My 14 month old son is supposed to start pulmicort today. I am very nervous. Any stories? Thanks!

2. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're nervous about but I'm a pediatrician so if you have questions feel free to pm me.

3. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

My son (now 6 1/2) was on it for about 6 months after contracting RSV and getting repeated cases of bronchiolitis right around that age. He did absolutely fine on it and it really helped keep down the incidences of wheezing. Also, I don't think I noticed any side effects at all. It was certainly better than using occasional doses of albuterol, which made him wired and cranky.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Been off/of Pulmicort for years with my two. They were born w/ RDS and both have asthma (preemies)

It really has been great at helping my two recover more quickly from both pneumonia, bronchitis, and reduces asthmatic wheezing they have.

They moved to inhalers this year for daily use, but we still use the nebulizer and pulmicort/abuterol combo when they get a respitory illness.

Just remember to rinse out the mouth afterward. We have not noticed any side effects either.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

My DD was on it from about 18 months till 3.5 when she switched to an inhal with spacer. We didn't have any problems with it. At first, we did it while watching a favorite show t keep her occupied, but she got used to it very quickly and never gave us any issues. I never observed any adverse side effects.

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I was on it for yrs as a kid and I survived. My boys have been on Flovent and never had an issues with that.

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

It works wonders for kids with asthma. My oldest was on it (he is on advair now) and when he was younger, it was wonderful during allergy season because he would be able to breathe and not have that horrible night time cough.

8. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

All 3 of mine take it when they get a respiratory illness. We do the Pulmicort/Albuterol neeb for 1-2 weeks after the first day of the illness. Never seen any side effects. My youngest is 2 and the twins are 5.

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

DS is on it for the next month because of his wheezing from allergies. So far he's been fine on it. He was n Albuterol for the first few weeks, and I think that made him cranky.
    The difference in how he feels is amazing though! He's almost a different child. I can not believe how much it's all helped him.

10. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

My ds had pneumonia at 6 months and then 2 more times before 12 months. He was on pulmicort and albuterol with a nebulizer for a long time. No problems. What are your specific concerns?

11. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

3 of my 4 kids have been on it. Not something you want to have to give your kids but if it helps them breathe then you do it! Now that they're older they're responding well to the puffers (flovent) which makes life so much easier than the nebulizer treatments, hang in there... this too shall pass!

12. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

My second child was on it for nearly a year after a lengthy NICU stay. The only negative I saw was that it made him break out - my pedi thought because it was a steroid (I think that is right - we were on Xoponex as well) - so we wiped his face with a washcloth after treatments.

13. mommylaura

Update: we are about 2 weeks into treatment, and the wheezing (which has been consistent since last summer) is virtually gone.

Slugrad - thank you for your kind offer. I was nervous because I googled side effects and found people saying that it gave their kids behavior problems and acne, but when I posted on some boards with actual people, no one mentioned these issues.

14. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear theyre doing better. The problem with the lists of side effects is that they list for the medication without specifying the delivery method. Steroids can cause acne, weight gain, behavior problems, etc when you take them by mouth for long periods of time (like people with transplants or chronic arthritis). But inhaled steroids like pulmicort, flovent, etc were designed to target only the area that needs them and the body doesn't really absorb them. The worst side effect I've seen from them is thrush if you don't rinse their mouths out after a treatment.

15. mommylaura

Thanks! I started brushing his teeth after the treatments, but have not been rinsing his mouth. I will start that!