Is it possible to carry too small?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by [email protected], Nov 18, 2008.

1. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

At my last growth ultrasound, both babies were right on track (nearly 2.5 lbs each at 28 weeks). I guess that's the only real measure I should be concerned about, but it seems that everywhere I go, when I tell people I'm having twins, they make comments about how small I am (but I don't feel small!).

Before pregnancy I was 5'4" and 105lbs; now at 30 weeks I am about 130lbs and it's all in my belly. I haven't put on weight anywhere else, which I'm glad about but now it's making me worried. I'm measuring 43cm fundal height, and I'm eating like normal, etc etc. Should I be concerned or am I OK? Thanks!

2. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(stacya @ Nov 18 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]1075833[/snapback]
    At my last growth ultrasound, both babies were right on track (nearly 2.5 lbs each at 28 weeks). I guess that's the only real measure I should be concerned about, but it seems that everywhere I go, when I tell people I'm having twins, they make comments about how small I am (but I don't feel small!).

Before pregnancy I was 5'4" and 105lbs; now at 30 weeks I am about 130lbs and it's all in my belly. I haven't put on weight anywhere else, which I'm glad about but now it's making me worried. I'm measuring 43cm fundal height, and I'm eating like normal, etc etc. Should I be concerned or am I OK? Thanks!

If you are measuring 43w at 30w, you are definitely not carrying too small!! (I was measuring 8 weeks ahead last time they checked--I measured 36 weeks at 28 weeks.) Your size sounds pretty normal for this point in a twin pregnancy and based on how petite you are, I'm surprised you're getting those comments. To be honest, I get them a lot too--and I have gained 40 lbs (also mostly in my belly; at least it's not really obvious anywhere else).
    Honestly, I think the people who make those comments just don't know what they're talking about; they assume with twins that you should be twice the size as if you had a singleton. ;) How familiar is the average person with what a twin mom looks like at ____ weeks gestation, anyway? ;)

Btw if you do want a point of comparison, www.babycenter.com has pictures of "fraternal twins in utero" every 4 weeks from 12w to 36w, so you can compare yourself to the mom in those illustrations if you want. ;) (I actually do look a lot like those pictures. I should print them out and show them to people who make those comments, lol.) But really, I'm sure they mean well; I know it can be a little unsettling to keep hearing that though.

3. I think everyone just carries their babies differently. I gained all my weight in my belly as well and I wasn't all that big for twins, but my babies grew just fine. My mom hardly looked pregnant at all with any of her kids. There were ladies I knew that were pregnant with singletons as far along as I was and they were bigger belly-wise (I hope that made sense). If the babies are growing fine and your doc isn't worried then I wouldn't worry either.

4. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

sounds great to me. I gained 45 lbs total with the twins and it was all belly. Sounds like you are doing great!! Don't worry what others say, they are just jealous you look so beautiful!! IIf your doc is okay with it, you should be too!

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Everyone carries differently and as long as the babies are growing and your doctors aren't worried, then you shouldn't either (easier said than done, I know) but those are great weights for their gestation- so try not to worry- you still have plenty of time to "pop"! Take care and welcome to twinstuff!

6. stacy.alderfer@yahoo.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies!!! I feel so much better! :)

7. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing great. :)

Every pregnancy is different and how you carry the babies can really make a difference in how you look. This is my 3rd pregnancy but I didn't even really show until 21 weeks because the baby is sitting so high. My twins sat this high as well so I looked a little smaller than my fundal height indicated. My boy was really low though so I was big with him by 12 weeks. With a 43 cm uterus at 30 weeks, you've obviously got enough baby in there. :)

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posters; it sounds like you're right on track. Keep doing what you've been doing! For what it's worth, I got tons of comments about my size too. I am also 5'4" but was about 130 when I got pregnant. I gained 40 pounds, mostly in my belly. It wasn't until the last few weeks that people beleived me that I was having twins.

The last 10 weeks of pregnancy are where babies really start to put on weight, so your eating is extra important. If you're concerned about your size or weight gain (which I don't think you need to be, I'm just saying this in case...), have an extra protein shake, or an extra PB&J sandwich during the day. They both have good calories and fats that help babies grow!

9. dallasm

dallasm Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my 2 cents! I agree with everyone else! Who else but people who had twins knows what is "normal" looking? Plus everyone is different. I was not small to begin with and have gained 33 lbs thus far and am measuring 37 weeks. The boys are growing just fine according to the docs. I am the kind of person who gains weight EVERYWHERE <_< and have been worried from others comments too! I think people do have this idea of what a person carrying twins should look like but everybody's Body is different! You sound like you are the typical twin belly!! And your baby's weights sound awesome! Keep up the good work and ignore everyone else! I have found that the average person doesnt know about twins (and I have to educate them!) but wants to put their two or five cents in!!!!Just tell peeps that you are actualy doing very well and that the doc says you are the picture perfect twin mom!!! that will shut them up! :clapping:

10. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Eat normal while you can! Just over the last week, it seems my stomach is running out of room because one of the girls is trying to come out my throat. OK, slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

Keep up the good work!

11. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Nobody ever believed me when I told them I was expecting twins - not even at 38 weeks when I was induced! I wouldn't worry about it. I have a long torso and the boys had lots of vertical room I guess. Plus, some people just carry small. My boys were over 6 lbs each!

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I didn't gain a whole lot of weight. As a matter of fact it was all in my belly as well. I think it's just normal for some women--depends on how you were made I guess. Nobody ever believed I was pregnant with twins either until the last two months which is when I exploded!!