Is it possible to gie too much solids

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ambernruby, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

My girls are nearly 5.5months old and have been having 2 meals a day. I don't normally offer any after there breakfst bottle but this morning we had time to kill so i made up soime cereal for the share. So at the midmorning bottle Amber was very reluctant to have it and refused her solids and Ruby flat out refused her bottle but ate her solids. They aren't the biggest drinkers at the best of times, usually 4-5 ounces of high calorie milk. They take 4 bottles through the day and have just dropped to 1 night feed this last week. I know that milk needs to be there main source of nutrition and solids in addition so i'm concerned that they are cuting back on milk to allow for solids. Did anyone else find this? Should i cut back on the solids abit, they just do so well on them. Any thoughts please? Really don't want to be going back to 2 nightfeeds if i can help it.

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They need the formula... I'd cut back when they start refusing bottles.

3. ambernruby

Yeah i thought the solids should be in addition to, i will leave it at 2 meals. My sister said that at my girls age she would give solids 3 times a day and let the milk go on demand but i fear my babies would never ask for milk as they have taken so well to solids iykwim
    Anyway thanx

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Fran, right now most the nutrition should come from formula and/or breastmilk. It is good for the future that the girls like their solids so much!

5. ambernruby

Thanx Nancy! Yeah i would be complaining if they didn't take to solids, i never though i'd end up weaning the piglets off solids lol

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:35 AM) [snapback]1354592[/snapback]
    They need the formula... I'd cut back when they start refusing bottles.

I agree. The formula has lots more calories and nutrition so I would cut back on the solids for now.

7. ambernruby

Thanx Becky, too much of a good thing today!

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know here the requirement is between 24-32 oz of formula or breastmilk until about a year old, then you can start transitioning out the formula and letting solids dominate more. So as other's said, if need be cut out a bit of solids and go back to more bottles :)

Mine take 5 6 oz bottles a day but rarely drain them, so they are on the low end of the formula scale, so I'm concerned that when we start solids they'll drink less. It's a juggling act!

9. ambernruby

Thanx for this info Dannibell, I think i'm going to have a problem with this juggling atct!! She has just refused her bedtime bottle aswell oh noooooo! She is a little madam where food is concerned.

10. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

My guys just took a huge decline on thirst...and our pedi said for
    us to just keep on only 2 meals solids a day even at 9 months old!
    Call your pedi to see if they want you to cut back on cereal or just
    non-cereal solids... (thinking about iron)

11. ambernruby

QUOTE(irisflower @ Jun 15 2009, 08:21 PM) [snapback]1355323[/snapback]
    My guys just took a huge decline on thirst...and our pedi said for
    us to just keep on only 2 meals solids a day even at 9 months old!
    Call your pedi to see if they want you to cut back on cereal or just
    non-cereal solids... (thinking about iron)

Thanx! gosh they already have 1 cereal and 1 vegi or fruit per day. Maybe i am going a little fast, i will cut back so they still get there formula.