Is it safe to breastfeed while having a fever???

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by VCR, Nov 24, 2006.

1. VCR

VCR New Member

Any info will be helpful, thanks.

2. VCR

VCR New Member

Any info will be helpful, thanks.

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Right after mine were born I had a really high fever. I still pumped and sent the milk over to the NICU, so I think it would be ok to nurse. Just be sure to drink plenty of fluids. I think that they will get antibodies from your milk to help them fight off whatever you have. I hope you feel better soon! HTH [​IMG]

4. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

I had a very high fever when the babies were about 1 month old. I was told I MUST continue bf because that way the babies get my antibodies and don't get sick. They would be in more danger of getting sick if I didn't. Also, keep in mind most illnesses are transmitable to others before you even have any symptoms. This means that the babies are already exposed to whatever has caused your fever and have gotten antibodies from you already to fight it off. You keep bf and they keep getting antibodies. In this case if they get sick it will be in a much lighter way than they would have if they were not bf.
    Hope you feel better.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means! Your fever will not be transmitted to your babies by breastfeeding. As a matter of fact, antibodies that will help get the babies well, if they were to get this fever will be transmitted to them, so you are definately encoursaged to continue breastfeeding. I hope you feel better soon!