Is it supposed to be this easy?!?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Oct 17, 2010.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OK. So for the boys third birthday-we changed over their room. We gave NO thought into how the night was going to go with their new found freedom! We just did it! About 2-3 days leading up to Saturday, we told them they don't bother each other, stay in their beds, etc.

SO! Saturday night was the BIG night. They were super excited about their new room. We showed them, they looked around, smiled from ear to ear, etc. Then-they got into bed right away and didn't make a peep until 7 the next morning! HUH?!?! I mean-they've always been awesome sleepers, but I thought for sure they would get out of bed! And here's the conversation between them upon wake up:

Nicholas: MOMMYYYYYYYY! DADDYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
    Anthony: Niklas, just get up!
    Nicholas: NO!!!!!!! MOMMMYYYYYYYYY!!! DADDYYYYYYYYYY!!!
    Anthony: Just get up. See?!?! (We assume he just gets up!)

We hear the door knob jingle upstairs...
    Anthony: Uh-oh. It's yocked!

Then I go up and Nicholas is still in his bed and Anthony is over by him talking to him! :laughing:

Too cute! Here are some photos of their new room and them going to bed!

Nicholas
    Doorway
    First look!
    Nicholas all tucked in!
    Smitten!
    Nicholas all snug in his bed!
    OUT!

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Yay! :clapping: Way to go, boys!

And happy, happy birthday, Nicholas and Anthony! :birthday:

3. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Just pray it lasts. You will probably have a couple of days of getting out once the newness wears off. When we put mine in big beds just before their second birthday they never got up. They still don't. Even if they wake up they call me and want me to com get them. Yeah for a new room.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wub: such sweet pictures! and congratulations on a great first night. :good:

how do you get the pics of them sleeping? do you use the flash on the camera? does it wake them up? i really want to get some cute pics of the girls sleeping, but am too chicken about waking them up. :laughing:

5. megkc03

Thanks! :wub:

Yup-pitch black bedroom, nothing on the floor for me to trip over, door wide open, and SNAP. LOL! Flash and all! DH was NOT amused. As we were going up, he's like, "This is NOT a good idea! You are so dealing with them if they wake up!" Ya ya ya ya. Whatever! LOL!

They didn't even flinch! But make sure you have a clear breakaway! :laughing:

6. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

That's great Meaghan!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wub: adorable Meaghan!!!

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Awesome. We didn't have any issues either when we put them in beds (correction, we did have a bit of drawer emptying, but we just put everything in totes until they were done with that stage, about two weeks). In fact, they have been in big beds for over a year and are just finally figuring out that they can lay in each other's bed, they can get up and get a book, they can make a mess.

They've never been scared to lay in the bed, they've never woken up before they were supposed to unless they were sick, and for the most part, it was very painless (much UNlike potty training!)

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Aww so cute Meaghan. :wub: Mine have been in toddler beds since 18 months and it's no big deal. Hope you have the same experience! Mine do not get out of bed at night at all. Even in the morning they call me to come to them, even though I have told them repeatedly that once the sun is up they can get out of bed.

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Meaghan those are great pics! :wub: Thanks for sharing.

11. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Great pics; your boys are adorable!!! :wub: They look so proud and happy with their big-boy beds. :)

I hope thing continue to work well!

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I wonder how last night went? lol

13. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Great pictures. We didn't have a lot of issues when we converted either, so I hope your good luck continues.

14. megkc03

LOL! Perfect! They were up a tad earlier this morning though... That's because I put balloons in their bedroom so that when they woke up they would see them. 6:15 am wake up I wasn't too fond of... :laughing:

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I love "Oh-oh. It's yocked." :laughing:

We had a pretty easy transition around that age too. They were so excited about their new beds, they were happy to stay in them -- and they were so trained to stay in the room by that time, they never got out until we told them it was time. We have had phases of them yelling to us, "Is it time to get up yet?" (for which we've tried a variety of strategies I won't go into here), but no unauthorized roaming.

16. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

You are so lucky. I knew your boys would behave themselves :). I've been fighting to get my boys to bed for 7 months (I'm not exaggerating, either.)

17. megkc03

Don't get too excited....

Today is the first day they are napping in them... Well. Let me rephrase that. Today is the first day they SHOULD be napping in them. Right now-they are clearly jumping off the beds. At first it was just Anthony, and now Nicholas is joining in. Anthony is the instigator....

Be on the lookout for my "How do I get them to nap in their bed" posts!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!

But-they are totally loving it. They are hysterically laughing in bits and pieces. It's fun listening to them over the monitor. But why do they go to bed with no problem but no nap? I think because as Anthony put it... "the sun is out!'

18. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Love the pics! Happy Birthday, Boys!

Mine transitioned smoothly. No issues. In fact, we used a sticker chart for them to get OUT of bed in the morning (otherwise one would yell for us to get them & would wake the other...we were hoping to avoid that once they went into beds). Our 'honeymoon phase' never ended...even when traveling! We did go through a short spell of them getting up to pee, but it wasn't bad & now they only seem to do that when they truly have to go.

As for naps, I have NO advice. Mine do NOT nap in the same room (haven't since about 7 mos). On the days when I can't separate (when company is here or something), I use LOTS of bribery. Even then, they don't always nap....

19. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Love the pics!!