Is one of your twins bigger than the other?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JLF518, Dec 15, 2008.

1. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

My mom is so worried about this but nobody else seems to be, not even their pedi. Okay about a month ago, one DS was 14lbs, 11 ounces and the other DS was 11lbs, 1 ounce. Now they are built completely differently; the big one is quite stocky and the other is long/lean...does anyone else have twins like this? The smaller one did have a prolonged hospital stay when he was first born because he wasn't maintaining body temp and didn't want to eat. He's back on track now and you would never know anything was ever wrong. I'm sure everything will balance out when they start crawling...does anyone else have a larger twin?

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we've got a stocky guy and a lean guy. they're the exact same length and they've grown at the exact same rate so far, but the lean guy seems to put all of his calories into growing and none into babyfat. the lean guy is consistently about 3/4 of a lb behind his bigger brother.

3. larastevens

larastevens Well-Known Member

my boys are totally different sizes, shapes, skin colour. there is about 3lb diff now at 7 months. i joke and say we are gonna have arnold swarzenegar (sp?) and danny de vito twins!!! they dont even look like brothers. oran is small, at the lower end of the chart but im not worried, he eats 3 meals a day and is doing what he should developmentally.

4. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(larasboys @ Dec 15 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]1111663[/snapback]
    my boys are totally different sizes, shapes, skin colour. there is about 3lb diff now at 7 months. i joke and say we are gonna have arnold swarzenegar (sp?) and danny de vito twins!!! they dont even look like brothers. oran is small, at the lower end of the chart but im not worried, he eats 3 meals a day and is doing what he should developmentally.

That's too funny! I forgot all about that movie!

QUOTE(larasboys @ Dec 15 2008, 03:14 PM) [snapback]1111663[/snapback]

That's too funny! I forgot all about that movie!

5. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

James was our big boy at first, being just a few ounces bigger than his brother and staying slightly bigger than him for the first couple months. Now it is the total opposite. Jack outweighs James by about a pound and a half at this point even though they are consistently the same length. James is much more of our "mover" though and Jack is our "talker" so sometimes I wonder if James just burns more calories during the day since he is always moving.

6. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I have B/G so there are bound to be some differences. DS is 2lbs heavier than DD and 1cm longer (or taller!) too. He does everything first also. They´re going to be different builds too. Im sure your LOs are doing just fine :D

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine have been 3lb apart since 3 months or so. DS is a baby-sumo and DD is long and thin (although she's getting chubbier so she might have caught up some). She's in 12 month clothes now for length, he's in 12-18 months (mostly the 12 month stuff is too tight for him, lol, he's 1 inch short for most 18 month stuff).

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls are the same height but average about a pound difference - they're both maintaining their own individual growth curves though, so no concerns.

9. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Dec 15 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]1111701[/snapback]
    DS is a baby-sumo and DD is long and thin (although she's getting chubbier so she might have caught up some). She's in 12 month clothes now for length, he's in 12-18 months (mostly the 12 month stuff is too tight for him.

Ditto :) At our last check DS was 3.5 pounds heavier & 1" taller than DD. He has consistently been bigger :)
    Im sure they are perfectly normal! Everyone has different metabolisms, some babies eat more, some are busier etc.

10. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

My 2 are very different in every way! twin A-Charlotte has always been 2 lbs on her sister and 4 inches; Twin B-Eve is so petite and tiny you just want to squish her she is like a china doll:)

11. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

I have some of my boys' weights in my signature. They were 1/2 lb difference at birth, but have been at least 3 lbs different since about 4-5 months. At 9 months (and now at 11 months) they were about 4 1/2 lbs different. AJ wears 24 month and 2T clothes (for girth, not length... he has a big ole butt and chunky thighs), and Ben needs 12-18 month clothes for length, but his pants are always falling off his tiny muscle-y butt! They just have totally diffferent builds (and it suits their totally different personalities!) and I don't know if they will ever balance out. I think AJ will always be our big, broad guy (takes after DH's family) and Ben will be our wiry, lean boy (takes after my Dad's family).

12. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

My girls are complete opposites. At birth their measurements were really close, but after 2 weeks, they started to change. Now there is a 2lb and 2 inch difference. One is wearing 6m clothes and the other is still in 3m. Like a pp said, they don't even look like sisters. Their hair, skin and eye color is different, as well as the shape of their face, nose, eyes, etc. My husband is tall and dark, and I am light and short. One of our girls is tall and light, and the other is dark and short.....we also joked about the movie w/ Arnold and Danny! :)

13. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

DS has always been heavier then DD. Right now ds is around 20lbs and dd is around 17lbs. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

14. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

My girls started out a 1lb. and a couple of inches different. Now they have a consistent 4 lb. difference. Seems weird, my pedi isn't worried. They are just two completely different people.

15. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Haley (baby B) has since about 2 months old been bigger than her sister Megan (baby A). At this point she is about 3-4" taller and about 5lbs heavier than her sister.

16. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

My frat girls are 1 inch and 1.5 pounds different. They are built differently. One has curley hair, one straight. Sisters born the same day.

17. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

My girl is longer and heavier than my boy too, even though the boy's suppose to be the 'elder' brother cos he came out first. He was shivering all the time and didn't had much strength to suckle in the first week, but now he's catching up with my girl. I think bottomline is, as long as the paediatrician isn't too worried, we shouldn't. We should leave it to the professionals, right?

18. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Our boys are only 4wks, but they have been about a pond different since birth. I'm glad you started this thread because i too have one twin bigger than the other!

19. mrsriney00

mrsriney00 Well-Known Member

I think one of PP said it the best, the babies are two different people. Its so hard not to compare but I always have to remind myself as well. My DS is 5lbs and 3" taller than his sister. And I really think as long as your pedi isn't concerned and they are on a good growth curve you have nothing to worry about. :)

20. becky5

becky5 Guest

Emma was 1.5lbs bigger at birth, and now Jake is about 1.5lbs bigger than she is, and has been for awhile.

21. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We had that issue too with our boys and now that they are 2 they are barely a pound apart. They will grow at their own rate.

22. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

Mine were 4 pounds different and almost an inch at 6 months. They are totally different kids. The pedi was concerned about my smaller DD but she is on her own growth curve and it's steady. She isn't concerned anymore.

23. tiggrrl72077

tiggrrl72077 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(larasboys @ Dec 15 2008, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1111663[/snapback]

We say that about ours too! :)

Will has always been bigger than Ellie. Even in-utero. The u/s estimated that he was a full pound bigger than her. (It was wrong they were 5lb2oz and 4lb10oz) But since then he has been consistantly larger than her (and noticably so)

2 months
    Will - 9lbs 8.5 oz
    Ellie - 7lbs 14oz

4 months
    Will - 13 lbs 5.5 oz
    Ellie - 10lbs 9oz

6months
    Will - 15lbs 9.5oz
    Ellie - 12lbs 3.5

They are now almost 8 months. Will wears size 3 diapers and 6-9 month clothes. Ellie wears size 1 diapers and can still fit into some/most 0-3 month clothes.
    Here is a comparison pic. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/ti...77/100_5764.jpg

24. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Amelia is bigger than Lily. It wasn't as noticeable last year, but as they get older Amelia is obviously eating a lot more than Lily at each meal. Lily just isn't as interested in eating as Amelia, so she is smaller.

25. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

I feel much better now; my twins are completely different and it seems the only person that is overly concerned about their size if my mom, which is driving me nuts. She says Jackson is too big and had a big head (which he does). Anyways, the pedi hasn't said anything about their weight and considering they were premies, I think they are doing great. They are completely different and I guess the size is just another area in which they are different.

By the way, I saw a preview of a special that is supposed to air on the National Geographic Channel on Dec. 21st. Its about identical twin boys who at birth, one weighed over 5lbs and the other was 1lb. Even now, there are 9lbs different between the two but researchers think the smaller twins growth gene is turned off and that's what is affecting his growth. I had to share; I thought this was interesting.

26. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Dillon has always been bigger than Lucas. Here are their 9 month stats from last week..

Dillon 18lbs 8 oz and 29"
    Lucas 17lbs 12oz and 27.5"

Dianna

27. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

Mine are B/G so it's a little more "expected" but mine are pretty different size-wise too.

28. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

My girls have been different sizes always. Kylie was always quite a few oz heavier in the womb and when they were born they were 2lbs off. Kylie is now about 2in longer and 6lbs heavier, she is stockier and Kaylen is leaner. =)

i was actually wondering how many others had twins like this!

29. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

My guys are id but had TTTS. The donor is still a couple lbs. different as well as shorter!

30. Obie9

Obie9 Well-Known Member

Our boy and girl were very similar at birth. Boy was 6.5 lb and 18.5" and girl was 6.3 lb and 18." Now there is a HUGE difference. Girl eats way more than her brother, usually chugs about 5 oz per feeding, where her brother will take 3.5 oz only after an hour+ of coaxing. Girl poops several times a day whereas her brother poops only once. Girl is small and fat, and boy is long and normal build.

The good part about the difference is that we don't have any trouble telling them apart!