Is there a 7-passenger vehicle out there that ISN'T a minivan?

Discussion in 'General' started by jxnsmama, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I've still got a few years left to drive my Windstar, but I'm starting to consider what I get to drive next. I want to still be able to transport 7 people, because I often drive my kids around with my two nephews, but I'm really tired of the minivan thing, and I don't need the storage space anymore now that we're done with strollers and wagons and such.

I don't follow automobile trends. Anybody know of a non-minivan 7-passenger vehicle?

2. jxnsmama

I've still got a few years left to drive my Windstar, but I'm starting to consider what I get to drive next. I want to still be able to transport 7 people, because I often drive my kids around with my two nephews, but I'm really tired of the minivan thing, and I don't need the storage space anymore now that we're done with strollers and wagons and such.

I don't follow automobile trends. Anybody know of a non-minivan 7-passenger vehicle?

3. stumpstress

stumpstress Well-Known Member

Friends of ours have a Suburban--they have 6 kids and claim to love it.

HTH!
    -penny

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My brother has had 2 Expeditions which have the fold down back seats. Now they have the Explorer, which is a little smaller, but still has the seats in back and can fit 7 people.

5. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Envoy seats 7, too.! [​IMG]

6. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

If you don't need the storage space and want a nice medium sized SUV with all the options but not want to pay too much for it, check out the Mercury Mountaineer. It's a smaller version of the Navigator. It has the three rows of seats and can fit 7 just fine. I love mine but wish it had more storage for us right now with the double stroller. The thing about mine that I love is that it's not too big and I can back it up really easy. I test drove all the bigger SUVs and would not get one without the back up warning option with kids. You just can't take any chances on safety.

7. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

I love our Ford Expedition! [​IMG] Seats 8 but 7 more comfortably (the back seat has three seat belts, but a third person with R&C back there would be a little cramped. [​IMG]

8. bnb3

bnb3 Well-Known Member

I have the LX 07 just purchased it last weekend actually, and so far we love it. It drives well and has just the right amount of space for the babies. It even leaves room for one more! [​IMG] My husband drives the escalade. Again, It is very roomy and drives super good. I understand that the vehicles are very pricy and might not be in everyone's range. However, I've had great experience with the Mercury Mountaineer and the Ford Expedition. I would reccomend one of these and best of luck to everyone. We have alot to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving[​IMG]

9. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

We have a Volvo XC90 and it seats 7. When you are not using the 3rd row, you can fold the seats down and have a ton of storage space for double strollers and more. We love ours!!

10. yvonneinoregon

yvonneinoregon Well-Known Member

quote:
    We have a Volvo XC90 and it seats 7. When you are not using the 3rd row, you can fold the seats down and have a ton of storage space for double strollers and more. We love ours!!

We just ordered a Volvo for DH.

I like our Navigator. It seats 7 comfortably. Or, you can have the 3rd seat down and have great storage. One thing I dont like, no cargo net! And, they dont even make an aftermarket one! So, stuff/groceries can fly all over.

11. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

I love my expedition, seats 8 small people or 7 adults best if you don't need room behind the rear seat. Dodge Durango or Honda Pilot are also supose to be good...there a little smaller but still seat 7.

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a ford expedition. We had 7 people in it today, DH, my grils in their car seats, my mil, my BILS (who are both over 6 feet and not small guys) and me. There was even room in the third row if we had an extra person.

13. ValeriGail4

ValeriGail4 Well-Known Member

We have the suburban, and absolutely love it. It seats 8, and has a ton of storage. Trips have been a breaze for us. 3 carseats, a pre-teen and two hefty adults... and we fit VERY comfortably. I can't imagine not having it!!

BUT..with that said, I sooooooooo Can't wait till we can downsize to a smaller vehicle. I miss the ease of a car for day to day stuff.

Love the suburban for the family, but wish I had something for when its just me out and about. oh well! HAHA

14. WENDERELLA

WENDERELLA Well-Known Member

we got a Jeep Commander in August and I LOVE it! There are 7 seats, but we usually only use 6...........and still have a little storage..........I go grocery shopping when my older girls are n school, so I just put the third row down and have plenty of room hen as well.........I really like that I don't feel like I am in a huge car, but still be comfy and roomy enough

15. HBMOMOF2SETS

HBMOMOF2SETS Well-Known Member

I drive the Expedition and am able to transport all 4 kids in carseats, myself, hubby, and a couple of friends. If you don't mind the gas mileage it's a great car!
    Christine

16. 2girls2boys

2girls2boys Well-Known Member

We have a GMC Yukon with captains seats in the middle row and we seat 7 very comfortably.

There is NO room behind the 3rd row though, so when I have all the kids, grocery shopping can be challenging when it comes to finding room for all the bags.

But - I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

17. Jennifer Twins makes 5

Jennifer Twins makes 5 Well-Known Member

We have a Chevy Suburban and love it!!!! Our middle seat is a bench seat so we can fit one more if we need to (a friend that is we are done having babies). I would not trade it for the world.

18. marose

marose Well-Known Member

I have a Ford Freestyle (crossover SUV) that seats 7 and I love it. I don't use it for the 7 people very often but when I have to it works great.

19. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

We have a Toyota Sequoia, and it seats 8. We are really happy with the Sequoia.

20. Elizabeth H

Elizabeth H Well-Known Member

I have an Expedition and it seats 8. In fact my MIL just rode in the third row this morning taking the kids and hubby out together. She thought it was more than enough room back there. My third row is a split and folds down with the push of a button. so one can side can fold down and the other can stay up. We get people in and out through the cargo area doing it that way. I can put a double stroller behind the third row seat also. We have the back up sensors on ours and also airbags that deploy through out the car. So I feel it's safe for me and the kiddies. I love driving it. The only thing is it's a beast to park in a tight parking lots so I end up parking it farther out and walking. But at least I don't get door dings that way either. They made a longer Expedition to be equlivalant to the Surburban for cargo space. So DH and I are going to trade ours in two years for that one.

Elizabeth

21. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

My friend's husband just recently got a Honda Pilot and it seats 8. They really like it. I've loved every Honda I've owned (5 of them) because they're so reliable.

22. jxnsmama

Thanks, everybody! I was hoping to get away from bad gas mileage/huge vehicle, so I don't think the Navigator or Expedition types are the ones for me. But maybe that Jeep would be the ticket. DH told me today that the Pacifica seats 7 if you need it to. I don't need seating for 7 all the time, just periodically.

Thanks again for all the input!! [​IMG]

23. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Amy, I just got the Yukon Denali XL and it comfortably sits 7 full grown people. The XL also means there's a TON of space behind the 3rd row [​IMG]

24. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a Pacifica that seats 7. I have a Pacifica that seats 6 (2 in the 2nd row and 2 in the fold-down 3rd row), and I know one of the models also has an option that seats 5 (the 2nd row is a bench seating 3, and there is no 3rd row), but AFAIK there isn't a model that seats 7.

I do really like my Pacifica, though! It's comfy and roomy for us with only the 2 kids and the occasional need for the 3rd row. It drives much more like a car than a van or an SUV, and it has great safety ratings. I don't know that it would work all that well for you, even just with your 3 kids, though, since the 2nd row only seats 2 and it has "fold and tumble" seats to get into the 3rd row, which means you can't have a car seat in the 2nd row.

Also, much to my dismay, if you're thinking of the Pacifica to avoid bad gas mileage, look elsewhere -- I am doing well when I get 12 mpg inmy day-to-day commute. I get 20 mpg if we're on the highway, but that's rare.

Good luck in your search, though!

25. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

As far as I know the Pacifica's a 6-seater only. [​IMG]

You're not going to get too far away from the "bad mpg" set with a 7-seater regardless of how it's set up - the best you'll probably do (other than a minivan [​IMG] ) is to go with a crossover-type SUV - something like a Pilot or an XC90. A Highlander is a little smaller than a Pilot, but I think it still has a 3rd row. (smaller tho')

Good luck!

--> Andy

26. jxnsmama

Thanks for the input on the Pacifica. Can you tell I haven't done any research? [​IMG]

I am not one to spend a lot of my transportation, so many of these ideas sound out of reach. But thanks to all for your advice!