is this just terrible twos or is something wrong?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LB, Dec 15, 2008.

1. LB

LB Well-Known Member

I cannot believe how much whining is occuring in this house on a daily basis...the reason I'm asking if what is happening is normal is b/c they seem to be so incredibly cranky but after they have a snack they seem to settle down. But they are snacking so much I think it affects one of my DS's ability to actually eat a meal....But if I don't give them snacks during they day they are HORRIBLE...almost to the point where I wonder if they are diabetic or have low blood sugar or something...is it typical for constant whining at this age??? The thing that drives me crazy is the one that whines the most has the better communication skills!!!

2. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Could it be related to having a newborn?

3. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

My DS is often like this. He is so whiny and cranky, but a handful of goldfish crackers and a sippy cup seems to snap him out of it. Could they be bored? I think sometimes mine are just bored and a snack is something to do.

4. LB

LB Well-Known Member

They were cranky before Collin arrived. Boredom could be it but every time I ask them if they want to do something specific they say no, no no and after running through a list of things I give up..they will ask to watch something like blues clues or elmo and I cave b/c I'm so tired of hearing them whine or cry

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

They may still be bored, but not have the ability to think about the things you're suggesting and actually say "Yes" to something. It might work better to just think of an activity and tell them "This is what we're going to do now!"

Whining is also, alas, typical for the age (and also for age 3, apparently).

6. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Yes, whining is, unfortunately, typical of the age. However, if it's constant, all day long, and has been going on since before the baby, maybe you should look into it. Maybe it's a food allergy (since I just read that thread and it's on my mind...it could be. My kids' food allergies made them want to eat more and whine whine whine...because their tummies hurt when they were digesting the food, they wanted to keep them full).

They could need more structured activity (yeah, much easier said than done with a baby and 2 little ones). But maybe getting out the blocks and sitting with them to build, or teaching them to haul all their toys in the dump truck (alright, that's what my boys do ALL DAY LONG), etc, could possibly buy you a few more quiet moments. All I know is that when my kids get whiny I go :crazy:. So, I'm sorry you have to deal with that :hug:

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I definitely notice mine are more cranky and mischievous when they are bored. When they start acting out I try and read them a book or do a simple arts & crafts with them... something to make them cooperate, kwim? At that age though they do sometimes just have cranky spells.