Is White For Boys?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I would like to buy some white furniture for my 3 yr old boys....BUT hubby says white is not for boys.

Can you guys help us....give me your votes...Yes or No....isn't it ok for a Boy to have a white bed & dresser???  :rolleyes:

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sure, why not?

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say white is fine.  But, we just had this same conversation in our house the other day.  My husband was getting a new iphone & it was white.  My 14 year old daughter told him he couldn't get white because it was girly, that he should get black instead.  My 17 year old daughter agreed.   :huh:  Made no sense to me, I mean it's white, how can that be girly?!  But they obviously thought so.

4. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I'd say no BUT its only because I couldn't imagine my boys keeping white furniture clean. I cringe at the thought of all the dirty hand and foot prints I'd see on it. Although some people have clean boys so if yours fall into that category it would be fine.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't see a problem with that. Although I do agree that it is hard to keep white clean. Our beds have tons of nicks and scratches in them and the white closet doors/trim in their room is a MESS from having toys thrown at it, sticky hand prints, etc. etc.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

To me, white furniture is more girly.    And like the others said, I'd be worried about it getting dirty.  I don't think I'd get white even for a girl.

7. JuliaS82

JuliaS82 Active Member

I dont think the color of the furniture matters.. its all about the colors of the room. You can put white furniture in a room, paint the walls blue and put blue sheets on the bed and nothing about that room will look girly. Do a google image search of "white furniture in boys room" and you'll see what I mean.

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I don't think it's girly either, but I'm not usually a fan of white furniture. And I do think it'd be hard to keep clean in any child 'a room.

But with all that, we have a hand- me-down dresser in DD's room that's white. So far it's mostly clean. We'll see how long that lasts!

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

It's white. It's not girly. Both mine had white cribs/toddler beds until they were 5. No big issues. Not hard to keep clean depending on the finish.

10. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I think white would work, I think white it's neutral - just like black. You can buy some McQueen/Spiderman stickers or whatever they like and put them on the walls and on the drawers/headboard; if you pick boyish colors and accents, it would look great. You can make the walls a darker blue and the contrast would be interesting. I don't think white would be any different than other colors to maintain - if it's dirty or dusty it shows - we have black and white furniture and I don't see that much of a difference. My kids don't get the furniture in their rooms dirty. We don't let them eat in there, they only have a cup of water in their rooms during the night.They are only in there when they sleep - an hour before bed while we do bath and nighttime routine, and maybe for 30 min in the morning while we get them ready for the day.

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the style of the furniture and what you put with it.  White can be girly, or it can be not girly.

12. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I think its neutral.  I would not buy white but not due to the gender.  I had white furniture until high school and it never seemed to stay clean.  It was always dirty looking.  It may have been the finish but I would never buy white again.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think white is girly at all.  I wouldn't buy it just because it probably does not work with the color scheme in either child's room and I would worry about keeping it clean.

14. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I painted the boys used cribs white in the pre-drop side crib days. I like white much better than wood.

I don't think your kids will care.

15. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

If my husband said that I would start pulling all his white shirts out of the closet and bagging them up for donation. But white is not for boys honey!

The very idea that white furniture might be "gendered" illustrates that we've taken this "boy / girl" thing way to far as a society and it's time to scale it back.

2 people like this.