It feels way too soon to be asking this but...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by miss_bossy18, Sep 7, 2014.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

...if your children use deodorant, how old were they when they started? What kind do you use?

I noticed the other day after running around outside and getting all sweaty the girls both stunk. And I have a horrible sense of smell, so if I noticed, it must have been strong.

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I seriously think it depends on the kids.  I noticed kid body odor for the first time when I would volunteer in the kids' 1st grade class.  We did an activity where the kids would be putting their hands up waiting for the parents to check something.  When some of those kids put their hands up, I wanted to gag because it was strong and unexpected.  There were several that I would ask to put their hands down while I checked their work (they were supposed to put them down any way, I just really made sure that happened).  

My kids started using deodorant in 3rd grade.  I still have to nag them to wear it.  When they grumble I tell them it's my job as mom because you really don't want your teachers and friends to have to tell you.  

I got Sarah Tom's of Maine deodorant.

Marissa

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What kind of soap are you using? Bacteria lives in warm places, so maybe changing soaps to an antibacterial one and bathing daily will help? Obviously if you have to, get deodorant and not anti perspirent until they get older (if ever)

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You know Rachel, I was wondering the same thing.  I have not noticed my kids smelling funky but I might not be the best judge of that because my nose is usually stuffed up from August to November.

5. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Summer between 3rd and 4th grade (9.5 yrs old) they started complaining about each other (I hadn't noticed yet) so got them Dove something-or-other mild which they seem to like.  They only need it if doing something sweat intensive.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Try the crystal deodorant- it has no chemicals or anything in it. It probably isn't going to work so well for grown lady stench, but ought to for little girl stink.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine will be 9 in Oct and 4th graders. We have not had too much super stinky kid....but STINKY FEET! UGH- their sweaty shoes smell horrid!

I will get it when I notice body odor. Right now, when they are sweaty they just smell like hot 'kid' not stinky body odor. Likely, I have one that will need it before the other though. 

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, there's a distinct difference between sweaty kid stink and honest-to-goodness BO.

For stinky feet, have them soak them in Epsom salts after school, and change shoes every day. I had horrid foot stink and those are the things I did to make it better.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for all the ideas! I hope I can avoid giving them deodorant for at least a while longer - I'm just so not ready for that yet.

10. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It really must depend on the kid-Sophia is 10 and in 5th grade and does not have BO, yet.

11. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

Um..we noticed it last year when DD was in kindergarten.  DS didn't have a problem (and he's much more active).  We bathe them daily and use Tom's deodorant (not an [SIZE=10.5pt]antiperspirant[/SIZE]).  It works.  GL!