It's always a pain to get DS to get dressed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I usually tell him once to get dressed, second time I tell him we'll turn the tv off (they watch it in the morning), third time we turn the tv off and he gets mad. Then he gets dressed.

Is there any tip to make it easier? It's the same deal every morning. DD is always excited to get dressed, but DS is always making a scene. I know he likes to take his time doing something, but he doesn't even get started until I have to threaten to turn the tv off...

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

How about when he first gets out of bed in the morning before the tv is turned on? Tell him he needs to get dressed first then you'll turn the tv on.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would also suggest a house rule that says the kids may not leave the bedroom / bathroom area in the mornings before they are dressed. Once dressed he can come into whatever room has the TV and if DD is already watching because she was quick getting ready for the day - her luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I usually get the kids clothes all folded and set them up in the family room. They all get dressed infront of the TV. Have you tried that?

Our morning routine is they all come in the bathrom to get their hair brushed and teeth brushed. They take their pj's off (the boys 90% of the time sleep naked) but they take their pj's off and put them in the clean or dirty hamper and then go to the family room to get dressed.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

How about a rule that kids must be dressed before they leave their room? Or no TV until their clothes are on? At our house, it's hard for my kids to transition from a fun activity to a required one. So I try to do the required one first and then they can relax and enjoy the fun activity.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I might have to do that. I just need to get hubby on board (ugh). The clothes are in our room right now because they kept dumping their dressers a year ago. Usually only one of us gets up with the kids, and we'd have to wake up the other one to get their clothes. Our routine has always been breakfast in front of the tv, then we get clothes and get dressed in the family room (main issue with DS is that he's so focused on the tv that he doesn't get dressed, which is why I have to turn it off).

Hmm. You gave me something to think about! Maybe it's time to put the clothes back in their dressers, that would solve all the issues (unless they dump them again). I like it. Thanks for the help.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I agree with PP, no TV until they are dressed. Can you lay their clothes out the night before and maybe have them help you pick out their outfits so they feel like a part of the process?