IUD and positive pregnancy tests...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Lrnomder, May 14, 2014.

1. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

My twin girls will be one year old this month!! as soon as I could after they were born, I had the Mirena IUD placement. Since then even though the Drs said I would have disturbances in my monthly and most likely not have one at all, every month I have had a period. This month that changed. As of yesterday, I am 7 days late of having a monthly and at first i thought that it was the mirena but had this weird feeling inside yesterday. I looked under my bathroom cabinet and found an old pg test. i took it and right away and didn't see anything indicating a positive result so I went off to work. last night when i was cleaning for peace of mind as I was taking the trash out, i double checked the test and it was positive. Then i thought well maybe its because it set all day so i went and bought 2 new tests. I took one before bed, it was positive! I took another before work today and it was positive!!! I called my Ob and they had me come in right away for possible mirena removal but the pee stick test they did was negative. Its so weird. I really dont know whats going on other than the thought of being pregnant again isn't very pleasant due to having twins who are younger than a year and two older boys who need attention as well. Im scared and also scared of the complications. if I am pregnant and have to deal with taking the mirena out and not miscarrying. Its all up in the air, just wondered if anyone could offer advice or have any suggestions on what to do. 

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oy, I really don't know. What type of pregnancy tests did you take? How old were they?

This is a fear of mine, so my heart is racing for you. I wonder if any of the other girls have any experience like this.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jenn's youngest son was born 8 years ago when she had a iud in. But it wasn't a mirena

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Is the doctor going to do a blood test? I'd maybe push for that so you can get some answers. 

You'll have to keep us posted on what happens. 

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Okay so I had the same thing happen with me and my positive test was a result of the test sitting for several hours before I checked it.  Needless to say I FREAKED but I googled false positive pregnancy test and found that if they sit for more than a couple hours they are not valid.  I went to the store and bought another one just to be sure and it was negative.
    What's strange is that you bought two new ones and had them both say positive as well. 
    I think I'd do one more at home and if its positive I'd ask for a blood test at your OBGYN and maybe even a quick ultrasound just to check the placement of your IUD. 
    I have the Mirena and never have periods-I've only ever checked when I've had days of extreme fatigue, nausea, and headaches. 

6. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

That would be me.  I had a Copper T IUD in place when my littlest was conceived.  I had periods every months and with the Copper T it was expected.  When I was late I used the old pregnancy test laying around.  I've never had an OB get me in so fast.  In my case their test also came back positive (I was at least a week late at that point).  They did have to get the IUD out immediately after confirming by ultrasound that it was still in there.  Then I was checked weekly via ultrasound until I was 12 weeks along at which point they figured the little bugger was sticking around in there.

I would definitely go in and request a blood test.

7. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

Sorry it took so long to update. The past few days have been crazy. I called the dr and they got me in that same day within a couple hours. I went in and did a urine test which came back negative. So they decided not to donan ultrasound but do a blood test like most recommended and then call back in the morning for the results. I went straight to the drug store and bought two First response tests. I came home and took one immediateley and it came out negative. Then when I woke up at 400 am to get my oldest to a fieldtrip, I took the other and it was positive. That morning at work I called in got the lab results which came back negative. it's the strangest thing. They recommended waiting two weeks to see if I have my period and if not come back for another test!