IVF/FET babies and tooth problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by Heathermomof5, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Easton has gotten his front two bottom teeth - the one on his left his abnormally big. I took him to the dentist today and He told me that IVF/FET babies do have a higher risk of tooth problems. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? He said that we will wait to see how his other teeth come in and if they are fine the only thing he would do is pull the abnormal tooth when East is 5. I am just worried!!

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I have never heard of specific IVF/FET, but preemies do often have teeth problems.

Both my DDs have tooth problems- but it is due to prematurity. Babies born early stop diverting energy toward tooth enamel (and stop getting it from their mother) if they are born early and use that energy toward breathing/eating/etc. So often preemies have malformed teeth and/or poor enamel.

DD1 also has malformed teeth due to prematurity in addition to reflux that has eroded/discolored her teeth.

DD2 had teeth that cracked due to poor enamel. But her adult teeth are fine!

1 person likes this.
  3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:unsure: I have never heard anything like that. Both my twins teeth are fine and have come in just fine. :good: Sorry to hear that, I know it's hard not to worry. :hug:

1 person likes this.
  4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

We did IVF and my boys were born at 37 1/2 weeks. Except for a very bad overbite with my one DS, their teeth are fine at 4 1/2. :unknw:

1 person likes this.
  5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

IVF here and no issues with either of their teeth. I have never heard that. Sorry you are having to deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  6. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hmm, the prematurity may make sense, althought I don't know if Easton was premature. I was born at 35-36 weeks and I have horrilbe teeth - they aren't crooked, but I had 15 fillings and 3 crowns by the time I was 30, despite of brushing twince a day and using mouthwash. Also, I think this is partly due to the fact that my parents let me have a bottle of milk before bed until I was 3, and that's the reason my kids stopped having bottles the day after they turned 1.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

People claim that teeth are not genetic, but in my husband's family, if you do not have full dentures by the age of 20, it's amazing. Seriously! My SIL has bad teeth as does at least one of her daughters. Neither were IVF.

1 person likes this.
  8. Heathermomof5

He was born at 38 weeks 6 days so not a preemie - my mom let us have bottles until we were older - I am not sure how old we were BUT I REMEMBER taking a bottle LOL!!!

That is wild! 20 is so young! It must be a genetic thing!!! My twins are 5 and IVF we have never had an issue as a matter of a fact my older boys who are not IVF babies have had way more troubles with their teeth than the twins have. This tooth is just very abnormally big and shaped- I am just praying that the rest of his teeth come in fine and this is just a fluke!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine were IVF and no one has ever mentioned that it might be related to tooth issues. If anyone has a link to an article/study, I'd be interested to read it.

Sarah does have a wicked crossbite which is apparently guaranteed to cost us a lot of money at some point -- and one of Amy's front top teeth (baby tooth) turned sort of gray a couple of years ago, we have no idea why. But the dentist doesn't seem to think either of them are outside the norm.

My teeth are crazy crooked but have always been very healthy -- that part I think is genetic.

10. Heathermomof5

When my twins were newborn, I read an article that mentioned IVF babies and a certain mouth problem it seems like it was more of a tongue issue though. I cannot find it now!!