IVFers- how long did it take you to get pg?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Marbear, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

We have a pair of dear friends who have been trying for probably 2-3 years to get pregnant. They have tried IUI unsuccessfully. The male has reduced sperm count (apparently b/c one of his testicles didn't descend on time, I dunno) and the female has PCOS, heart issues, and hypoglycemia. They finally got her ovulating this year but she is not pregnant yet. Anyway, they are talking about starting IVF sometime after the holidays. How long is the process and what steps are involved? I have noticed you guys writing about taking meds while doing IVF and I have no clue what that means. My husband and I want them to have kids SO bad and I am wondering how quick this could go down (best case scenario since I know worst case scenario is never conceiving). They have wanted to be parents forever and here we are blessed with a child and twins out of the blue. We are so anxious for them to join parents club!

2. Marbear

We have a pair of dear friends who have been trying for probably 2-3 years to get pregnant. They have tried IUI unsuccessfully. The male has reduced sperm count (apparently b/c one of his testicles didn't descend on time, I dunno) and the female has PCOS, heart issues, and hypoglycemia. They finally got her ovulating this year but she is not pregnant yet. Anyway, they are talking about starting IVF sometime after the holidays. How long is the process and what steps are involved? I have noticed you guys writing about taking meds while doing IVF and I have no clue what that means. My husband and I want them to have kids SO bad and I am wondering how quick this could go down (best case scenario since I know worst case scenario is never conceiving). They have wanted to be parents forever and here we are blessed with a child and twins out of the blue. We are so anxious for them to join parents club!

3. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

I have PCOS, DH is fine, we are both fit and 28, we'd been trying 4.5 years before success with our first IVF. We had done 5 rounds of clomid, 2 Follistem/IUI rounds, and I had two lap/hyst surgeries in that time also. Really didn't think IVF would work, but it's cheaper (once anyways) than adoption, which was our next step.

Best of luck to your friend...I've been there and know the pain much too well...here I am 25 weeks and still in disbelief/waiting for the ball to drop...

4. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

I don't have my papers in front of me...but the actual process was probably about six weeksish from last period til bfp.

Also, if there is a bit of lab work, etc they'll need to get done before..

5. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

Once they make up their mind that IVF is the route that they are going, it can all happen very quickly. There are blood tests that need to be done before hand, I think also a hsg for the wife done within the last year and a sperm test from the husband.

Once all that is complete and AF starts, they can begin.

The meds that are taken during an IVF cycle vary, but they are injections that include follicle stimulating hormones that make the ovaries produce lots of eggs that they will retrieve during the egg retrival process. These are then fertilized outside the body and then transfered back into the woman either 3 or 5 days later depending on factors like how many and what quality and also RE preference.

It took us 3 ivf cycles to get the magic and that included pgd but that was my particular case.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck to them and kudos to you for being such a great supportive friend.

6. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I went through a couple unsuccessful IUI cycles before trying IVF. We were able to get pregnant on our second attempt. Each cycle is about 2 months, 3 weeks of taking the pill before the actual IVF cycle begins. There were shots to stimulate egg production, medication to prevent ovulation, then when enough eggs are mature there is a shot to trigger ovulation, after the procedure there are hormone patches, pills, and progesterone shots. It is a lot of medication, a lot of appointments, and a lot of stress... but it is SO worth it when it works!!! They'll start out cautiously with her, having the pcos, to reduce the risk of hyperstimulating her ovaries. If that happens, or if she doesn't respond to the medications, the cycle will be cancelled and they start all over.
    I wish them luck... like I said, when it is all done, it is very worth it! (From consultation to positive pregnancy test for me was about a year, but now that the babies are on their way, that year flew by.)
    Helen

7. Jamiesuzanne

Jamiesuzanne Member

I had 3 IVF transfers, 1 fresh and 2 frozen. I got pg with my 2nd frozen transfer.

My DH is fine, but I have PCOS as well as clotting issues.
    She most likely have to do birth control pills for a month while she starts some of the meds. She then will have about 2 weeks of injectible medication, then they will retrieve the eggs and then fertilize them and then transfer them back 3-5 days later.

Her clinic/RE will go through all the steps with her in detail. Some ladies get pg on their first try, some after several.

I wish her good luck.

8. candicane05

candicane05 Well-Known Member

In our case, my daughter was conceived on our first IVF attempt. With my sons, it took 4 1/2 years and 7 IVF transfers (2 fresh and 5 frozen). With this set of twins, we were simply using up the last of our frozen embryos (which was only 2) and we really weren't expecting them to "take". Every try is different - as I understand it, there is absolutely NO WAY to predict which time is going to work - ultimately it is in God's hands. It can be a very difficult journey. If it doesn't work for your friends the first couple of times, don't be surprised if they start to pull away. It may be very difficult for them to celebrate your twins while they struggle to start their family. I know, I've been there myself. I wish them much success.

9. mrs moosetracks

mrs moosetracks New Member

We got pregnant with our first cycle. But we didnt really have fertility problems. I had my tubes tied 7 years ago. I have 4 kids from first marriage. I got married 10 weeks ago. We started meds while on our honeymoon and did the egg retrival about 2 weeks after we got home. My husband has no kids, and we are 8weeks1day pregnant with TRIPLETS. Everyday is scary and dont know what will happen, but we put it in the good Lords hands and what will be will be. Good luck!

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

We saw the fertility doctor December 2005 - by the time we went through the process - they transfered my embryos into my uterus
    04-26-06 and here I am now at 32weeks 3 days pregnant with twin girls!! Good Luck to her and [​IMG]

11. happymel

happymel Well-Known Member

We got pregnant with twins with our first IVF. Once you set up a date to do your cycle it takes about a month to complete a cycle.Everyone varies on how many times you have to do IVF before you get a big fat positive( BFP). The injection schedule is stressful because you have to take them at a certain time everyday and you can't miss so it limits your activities some. It's all worth the effort. I wish your friend the best!
    melanie (19 weeks 6 days)

12. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

We did 3 Ivf cycles. 2 before my RE decided to take my remaining tube out. The third was a success. As everyone stated once you start the cycle it is fast-though when you are going through it is seems like forever. I suggest she speak to her insurance co to find out what is covered and what isnt. I am fortunate enough to have coverage for 3 cycles and all my meds were covered-with co-pays. The meds are very expensive. At least where I live they are. But whatever I had left I gave to my RE to help someone who wasnt covered. I wish her the best of luck. She is lucky to have such a good friend as you. Fertility treatments can overwhelm you.

Hugs,
    Beth

13. Marbear

Thanks for all the info, guys!

I am hoping they get pregnant. It's a tough situation for them because if it were me I'd want to transfer at least 2 to try to up my chance of success since it is so expensive, but she has a heart condition and I worry it would be way too hard on her to handle a twin pregnancy. I'm healthy as a horse and I find myself taking it VERY easy and breathing hard all the time.

They're actually coming out to help with the twins when they are born and I hope that it isn't too hard for them. It would be great if she could be pregnant or getting started by the time the twins arrived because they always wanted kids close in age to ours.

I have to say if nothing else it make me think Darwin was a complete idiot to see people like these not be able to have children when total MO-rons who can't even grasp the concept of birth control have kids all day long that they don't half take care of! Survival of the fittest? PLEASE!

14. K.C.

K.C. Well-Known Member

For us, our first cycle worked, but I had hydros in my tubes, so the pregnancy didn't last (ectopic). So I then had to have surgery to remove the tubes and then do IVF again. Which resulted in this pregnancy with my two girls! We were lucky in that it was all structural damage, so I didn't need any further medical intervention done. My heart goes out to your friend because even though it may only take just over a month or so from start to finish (getting on bcp's to regulate your period to getting the positive or negative result), it seems like forever. And for me, it was so much more an emotional trial than a physical one.

Since she's got other medical issues, she should research and find the best IVF clinic out there. IVFconnections.com is a great website that she should look at to help her out.

On a side note, you sound like a really, really good friend. And I would just like to help you help them during this time. The one thing I would suggest is that when your little one's come, as much as you mean well and want to give them words of encouragement, try to realize that infertility is positively devestating and it only gets harder the more procedures you have to go through. Try not to say things like "it'll be your turn soon" or things along those lines. The sad fact is that it may never be. Honestly, saying nothing more than "I'm sorry this is happening to you" and letting her talk about it without giving advice is probably the best thing you can do for her/them. Just being there and treating them like you would treat any other person not going through fertility procedures is really the best, IMHO. Not that you aren't already doing these things for her, but just in case you didn't know what to say as many people not struggling with the diagnosis of infertility do. Again, you are a great friend to even just ask here.

15. mycatswillhatethis

mycatswillhatethis New Member

DH tried for over 2 years. We have very mild male factor (slightly reduced motility-btwn 40%-50$), so really it is unexplained. We did 2 clomid iui cycles, 2 injectable iui cycles before moving to ivf. We did three ivf cycles total. First was a loss at 4wks and second a loss at 8wks due to Trisomy 1 (VERY rare). IVF #3 was a success, i am now 12 week pregnant with identical twins. Yup, IDENTICAL!

I have been in a buddy group with lots of women who take 3 and even 4 IVF cycles to get pregnant.

Good luck to your friend!

16. Bradysmom1002

Bradysmom1002 Well-Known Member

With my son we did 3 cycles of IUI, 2 Fresh IVFS, 2 frozen and on the 3rd fresh it worked. This was over about 2-3 years.

This time we did 2 frozen (leftovers from my son) and this was our first (new) attempt and it worked.