Jackets for cold weather

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, Jan 6, 2014.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Hi twins parents!

We keep the house pretty warm (68-69F during the day) because the 3.5 kids donot want to wear jacket/sweater etc... my DH loves to wear short sleeve too.
    So when I want to take them for outside play, they refuse to wear jackets at low 60F temperature ... and they are just happy to be indoor if I let them.
    My DH doesn't wear jacket at that temperature but he is not as thin as the kids so he can take that low temp.  I'm the reverse : wearing 2 layers always at this temperature.
    It is stressful for me to get the kids to keep warm and seeing them having running noses and sneezes!

Any suggestion how to deal with this?

Thanks much always for the feedbacks!

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Our house is set at 62 degrees in the winter during the day.  My two shed their jammies and spend most of the time naked unless we are going somewhere.  I do turn up the heat at night due to their asthma.  It seems to bother them both more at night when the air is not warm enough in the house. 

For 60 degree weather they are in long sleeves/pants but it depends on the wind if they have on a jacket or not.  They may start with one but if they are running around they often shed it at some point. 

But mine will tell me if they get cold and will wear a coat/jacket if I insist.  

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I don't consider 60 degrees to be jacket weather.  Maybe long sleeves and pants, depending on if the sun is out or if it's windy.  Maybe they'll agree to wear a fleece or sweatshirt though?  Something with a favorite character on it?

1 person likes this.
  4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd suggest a sweatshirt with a favorite character on it for going outside IF you feel they need a jacket.  Make it fun... good luck!

5. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I let my kids decide if they are cold or not. Very rarely do I ever enforce the jacket rule. (I never wear a jacket)  At 60 some of my kids would be in shorts and a tshirt if they were outside playing. The other day we were in the low 40s and my 3yr old was outside in a skirt and light jacket. I did ask her if she wanted something warmer and she said she was fine so I let it go,

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also wouldn't stress about 60 degree weather.  I keep my house on 63 overnight year round.  60 outside would mean t-shirt and long pants, or possibly long sleeve shirt if it felt cool.  Ditto suggesting a light weight sweatshirt or hoodie, something they might get excited to wear :)

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't force jackets either. I let them know the weather report and then make suggestions. If I'm concerned they're not wearing enough I ask them to bring a jacket along in case they get cold but assure them they don't have to wear it if they don't want. 9/10 times they never wear it. ;)