Jackson and Nicholas are here! (long)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by runnergirl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

(Mods: please cross-post to FY and NICU, thanks!)

As many of you know, I had a scheduled section on Fri, 11/24. Funny thing about scheduling sections - it must trigger your body into labor! When I went in on Friday and was put on the monitors, I was contracting regularly and my nurse in pre-op said that had I not had a scheduled c/s, I certainly would have been coming into L&D later that day anyway - those babies were coming regardless!

Jackson George (my Baby A - breech) arrived at 2:50pm, 5# 8 oz, 18 in long. He didn't make a peep when they pulled him out and because of a knot in his cord, the NICU team took him to eval right away. Fortunately, Jackson was fine and didn't have any problems after a little warming and suctioning and spent our entire hospital stay with us in our room. After some intial latch issues, he is nursing like a champ, although seems to be a little too comfortable at the breast, so keeping him awake for a full feed is a constant challenge.

Nicholas George (vertex) came out at 2:51pm, 5# 4 oz, 18 in and unlike his brother, was screaming. Unfortunately, the screaming turned to grunting and very rapid breathing, so he was admitted to the NICU and I wasn't able to see him or hold him until the next afternoon. This is really where the rollarcoaster started.

Apparently, despite their good size and gestation, Nicholas's lungs are a little bit more premature and caused RDS (respiratory distress syndrome). Initially, they had him just on O2 via nasal canula for the first 24 hours but then switched to the CPAP. CPAP seemed to be working for him, but everytime the NICU staff would have to bother him for a diaper change, lab draws, position changes, etc, his O2 sats would drop and they were taking longer and longer to return to normal. So, yesterday they intubated him, which was very scary for Jeff and I and I'm sure for Nicholas but he seems to be more relaxed on the vent and they are able to give him less O2 then they were with the CPAP. They also have given him surfactant to help his lung function. They aren't feeding him yet, but I've been pumping and bringing colostrum/milk so when he is off TPN they can use that to start feeds. And on top of everything, he his jaundiced so he is in phototherapy.

It is completely heartwrenching and hard to comprehend how we can have one totally healthy baby home with us and have another sick in the NICU. My pregnancy was so great and without complications that its even harder to comprehend why this has happened to Nicholas. I've been through and still feel guilty for everytime minute I wanted to be done with the pregnancy and just have my babies. I know I can't wonder "what if?", but it is hard.

Sorry for the long post, but this is one place I know people will understand and be supportive. Please say prayers for Nicholas that he recovers quickly and comes home soon. I have pictures but am not sure how to post, so will try to figure that out later.

-Nicole

2. runnergirl

(Mods: please cross-post to FY and NICU, thanks!)

As many of you know, I had a scheduled section on Fri, 11/24. Funny thing about scheduling sections - it must trigger your body into labor! When I went in on Friday and was put on the monitors, I was contracting regularly and my nurse in pre-op said that had I not had a scheduled c/s, I certainly would have been coming into L&D later that day anyway - those babies were coming regardless!

Jackson George (my Baby A - breech) arrived at 2:50pm, 5# 8 oz, 18 in long. He didn't make a peep when they pulled him out and because of a knot in his cord, the NICU team took him to eval right away. Fortunately, Jackson was fine and didn't have any problems after a little warming and suctioning and spent our entire hospital stay with us in our room. After some intial latch issues, he is nursing like a champ, although seems to be a little too comfortable at the breast, so keeping him awake for a full feed is a constant challenge.

Nicholas George (vertex) came out at 2:51pm, 5# 4 oz, 18 in and unlike his brother, was screaming. Unfortunately, the screaming turned to grunting and very rapid breathing, so he was admitted to the NICU and I wasn't able to see him or hold him until the next afternoon. This is really where the rollarcoaster started.

Apparently, despite their good size and gestation, Nicholas's lungs are a little bit more premature and caused RDS (respiratory distress syndrome). Initially, they had him just on O2 via nasal canula for the first 24 hours but then switched to the CPAP. CPAP seemed to be working for him, but everytime the NICU staff would have to bother him for a diaper change, lab draws, position changes, etc, his O2 sats would drop and they were taking longer and longer to return to normal. So, yesterday they intubated him, which was very scary for Jeff and I and I'm sure for Nicholas but he seems to be more relaxed on the vent and they are able to give him less O2 then they were with the CPAP. They also have given him surfactant to help his lung function. They aren't feeding him yet, but I've been pumping and bringing colostrum/milk so when he is off TPN they can use that to start feeds. And on top of everything, he his jaundiced so he is in phototherapy.

It is completely heartwrenching and hard to comprehend how we can have one totally healthy baby home with us and have another sick in the NICU. My pregnancy was so great and without complications that its even harder to comprehend why this has happened to Nicholas. I've been through and still feel guilty for everytime minute I wanted to be done with the pregnancy and just have my babies. I know I can't wonder "what if?", but it is hard.

Sorry for the long post, but this is one place I know people will understand and be supportive. Please say prayers for Nicholas that he recovers quickly and comes home soon. I have pictures but am not sure how to post, so will try to figure that out later.

-Nicole

3. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

Whew, what a story. Thanks for sharing it with us. You're right it is hard to believe at your gestation and the fact that things went well with your pregnancy Nicholas is going through this. You and your family will be in my prayers and I am hopeful he will be well after a short NICU stay. [​IMG]

4. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your boys! I'm very sorry to hear Nicholas is having problems, but hopefully he will be coming home soon. I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Helen

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

I am sorry to hear about Nicholas but please remember he is in great hands! I completely empathize with you in regard to the guilt. When I first saw Kayla just over 4 pounds at 36 weeks I couldn't believe that thoughts actually crossed my mind in the weeks prior that I was ready to have my babies.

You did a great job with your boys Nicole. There are just certain things that are out of our control. Please keep letting us know how he is doing. I hope you are able to have everyone home real soon. Please don't forget to take care of yourself!

6. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say congrats and that I am praying for you and your family.

7. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Nicole, first congrats on your baby boys' births! Second [​IMG] to the FY Board! And lastly, I am so sorry that you are going through this heartbreaking experience of watching Nicholas in the NICU. Just try and remember that God will take care of him. He made it this far, he is going to make all the way. Good friends of ours had a very similar situation with one of their twins, born by c-section at 38 weeks (ours were born 38 weeks too). You would think this late in the game everything would be fine, but that's just not the case all the time. Their twin was actually at Childrens in Boston on the vent and it was touch and go for a while but he recovered thanks to the wonders of mondern technology and medicine, great doctors and nurses, God and of course all the love and support from him parents and family.

I just wanted you to know that Nicholas will be better and home soon. I'll keep him in my prayers.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congrats on your babies. I'm glad that Jackson is nursing well. Yes, nursing puts them to sleep & you!! Sorry to hear of the issues at their birth. I hope that Nicholas is home with you soon, healthy like Jackson! Take care of yourself too! I know this is a difficult time for you.

9. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boys! You did a great job keeping them in for as long as you did! I, too, have realized that so many things in life are just out of our control. I'm sorry to hear about the problems Nicholas seems to be having. He truly is in great care and I hope he will join your family at home soon! [​IMG]

10. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your boys! I am so sorry that Nicholas has had a difficult time... Sending out prayers that things improve over the next few days!
    Hugs,
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie

11. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

I'm praying that you have BOTH your boys at home with you soon. Hopefully Nicholas will be much better soon. Hang in there.

12. BBCanadianTwins

BBCanadianTwins Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What beautiful names!

You did a FANTASTIC JOB carrying those boys for so long! Please don't blame yourself. This will all become a distant memory when they are both home safe and healthy with you.

Prayers for you and your family, may God continue to Bless you all!

BB

13. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow - what a story. As others have said some of this out of your control, so please don't waste another minute on being frustrated with yourself.

Here's to a short and uneventful Nicu stay for Nicholas....

miriam

14. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Wow ... congrats on two beautiful baby boys! I hope that Nicholas gets to come home soon so that all of you can get to be a family together at home. And like others said, you can do everything absolutely by the book and you just never know what will happen. Nicholas will be just fine.

[​IMG]

15. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I can only say ditto to previous posters: awful for you to have N in NICU, but - you did everything you could, save your energy, stop the guilt! And he will be fine and this will all be a distant memory (in about two years when he is tearing through the house you will look back on this as if it were a separate life) You're all in my thoughts and prayers. Love their names!

16. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on your boys! I am so sorry Nicholas is having a tough time. I hope that you have him home with you soon.

17. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new boys. I am sorry you have to go through such a rough time but I hope you will be able to bring your little Nicholas home soon.

18. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Congratulations on the birth of Jackson and Nicholas! I love these names! We are naming our boys John Nicholas and Jack Schaefer, but we are going to call them Nick and Jack. I guess that we just have really good taste in names [​IMG].
    I hope that Nicholas gets to come home with you soon! I can't imagine how hard it is to see your baby in the NICU. You can't change the "what if's", so just focus on a the future and know that Nicholas is in good hands. It may be a scary road at times, but everything will turn out just fine! We will all be praying for your family!

19. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to Jackson and Nicholos (love those names!).
    I'm sorry things didn't go according to "plan", but then, so little in life does! The good news is great birth weights, probably a short NICU stay, and best of all, two new baby boys to bring home!
    I can't wait to see pics when you're up to it. Hang in there, everything will be JUST FINE. [​IMG]

20. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

I was 36w 3d when we delivered our girls. We had one that was healthy, and another that did excactly what your little guy did. Came out screaming and then it turned to grunting, etc.

It is hard, especially when you make it as far as you did. You kind of expect that everything is going to be fine - since they are so close to the normal full term mark.

With Allison, everything worked out fine. The o2 they gave her made her way more comfortable and eventually she was able to breath fine on her own (the feedings were our big hurdle to get her out of NICU)

Take this time to bond with Jackson. Since you are around him more at this moment take advantage of it. Good job on the pumping - that will really help him!

It is very hard bringing one home and leaving one behind. You have this immage of bringing home your two beautiful babies and them being best friends - etc. Instead it is like you have two single babies instead of twins (at least that is what it felt like for us!)

Keep us posted on how they are doing and congrats on your two little guys!

Angel

21. threetobe

threetobe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the births of Jackson and Nicholas! [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that Jackson is doing so well but am sorry to hear that Nicholas has a NICU stay ahead of him yet. I can imagine it must be a very emotional time for you. Hang in there and take care of yourself!

22. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

YAY!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    [​IMG]Jackson!!!!
    [​IMG]NICHOLAS!!!!

Nicole - You did a GREAT job!! and I hope that Nicholas will be home with you very soon!!!

23. Cajuchopp

Cajuchopp Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole! Hooray on the birth of Jackson and Nicholas!! I logged on to Twinstuff today specifically to see what your news was...I completely sympathize with your predicament of having one at home and one at the NICU. It is hard to celebrate the arrival at home of one, yet feel bad that the other is going through such a hard time.

Nico has been home a week now and I'm slowly getting used to the sleep deprivation. The hard part is visiting Lalo--for the last two days I have driven myself there because my husband has to work. So much for the 6 week rule on driving. And it's exhausting what with getting up through the night for feeding and pumping for Nico and now, just today, Lalo is allowed small amounts of breast milk. I leave in an hour to the hospital to see if he will breastfeed.

Which is all to say (and sorry if I'm talking more about me than wishing you well!), I know it's tough but you can do it. Nicholas will be home soon and this part of his life will gradually fade from the scariness that it is now. I'm sure the nursing team is great and they are doing everything they can for him.

Giant hugs, I'll be thinking of you!

Kristin

24. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your boys!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that Jackson comes home very soon!

25. runnergirl

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts, prayers and support! It must have helped because today Nicholas made major progress.

We didn't go over to the NICU this AM because Jackson had his first ped appt (looks great, very healthy) but did get a phone update that Nicholas was doing really well, blood gases were looking a little more normal and the neonatologist was talking about possibly starting to wean from the vent by this evening. So DH went over this afternoon to check in and came home shortly thereafter saying I had get over to the hospital because they have taken Nicholas off everything! Once at the NICU, I found a completely different baby than the one I had seen last night!! Last night he was under the phototherapy lights, wearing the goggles, ET tube in his throat, etc, etc. This afternoon, ET tube is gone, lights and goggles gone and he is breating ON HIS OWN!! [​IMG] They even fed him twice today, 2cc of my pumped colostrum from a bottle and he was able to manage the suck-swallow-breathe and maintain O2 sats. We are thrilled, but to be honest I'm really trying to manage my expectations. We still need to gradually increase his feeding to see how he tolerates it and of course, make sure his respirtory status is stable. He still is breathing faster but not labored and he is much more calm. No timeline yet as to when he will come home, but we are in no rush and just want him to be healthy.

Thanks again for all the support - you guys are the best.

26. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

Congrats on your boys. I'm sorry Nicholas is facing a NICU stay, but I'm sure he is getting great care. Prayers are with your family and for a short NICU stay.

27. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by runnergirl:
    ( I've been through and still feel guilty for everytime minute I wanted to be done with the pregnancy and just have my babies. I know I can't wonder "what if?", but it is hard.

Congratulations on the birth of your boys! You did a great job carrying them as long as you did. Don't feel guilty. I know it is hard though. I dealt with feeling guilty for a long time. Many hugs to you! [​IMG]I hope his NICU stay is short.

28. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the boys [​IMG] It sounds like things are going well - and you will soon have two babies at home with you. Hang in there!

29. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Nicole!! Congratulations on your boys!!!

I had a similar experience. One in the NICU and one home! It's hard, but hopefully will be a short stay!! [​IMG]

Hang in there and the only advice I know to give Moms with babies in the NICU is to jump in and take a role in their care. I was constantly waiting for them to tell me I could do something, but after I left the hospital and was coming back I started asserting myself a little and would ask more regularly. Then eventually just was able to know better what to do!

Best wishes to you and your babies!! We'll be here in the FY waiting for you!! [​IMG]

30. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I know how it feels to have 1 perfectly healthy baby at home with you and 1 in the NICU! But the NICU staff are awesome and they will take phenominal care of your little guy! [​IMG] to FY!

[​IMG] Jackson! [​IMG] Nicholas!

31. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your boys and i hope Nicholas is home with you soon x

32. LisaJB

LisaJB Well-Known Member

Congratulations, and welcome to Jackson and Nicholas! I'm sorry that you have to go through a NICU experience, and I truly hope Nicholas is home with you soon. In the meantime, know that he is in excellent hands, and you are certainly in the right place for support.

I hope your entire family is home together under the same roof soon, happy and healthy!